Over40pirate

Default Shocking experience weighing anchor.

A few years ago while cruising, I was weighing anchor, and when I got to the
chain (no windlass then) I was shocked, not by what was on the hook, but as in
electrical shock. I dropped it and pulled it in again with the same shocking
results. It wasn't a killing shock, and as the hook was clear of the bottom, I
motored off enough with the hook in the water to be sure I didn't pick up a
live cable, then hauled it aboard, getting shocked as I did it.
Before I tell the cause, any guesses?
Armond Perretta

Over40pirate wrote:
A few years ago while cruising, I was weighing anchor, and when I
got to the chain (no windlass then) I was shocked, not by what was
on the hook, but as in electrical shock. I dropped it and pulled it
in again with the same shocking results. It wasn't a killing shock,
and as the hook was clear of the bottom, I motored off enough with
the hook in the water to be sure I didn't pick up a live cable,
then hauled it aboard, getting shocked as I did it. Before I tell
the cause, any guesses? K

We can wait until you decide to 'fess up.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Skip Gundlach

I was going to give this one a pass, and then I remembered...

"Over40pirate" wrote in message

A few years ago while cruising, I was weighing anchor, and when I got to

the
chain (no windlass then) I was shocked, not by what was on the hook, but

as in
electrical shock. I dropped it and pulled it in again with the same

shocking
results. It wasn't a killing shock, and as the hook was clear of the

bottom, I
motored off enough with the hook in the water to be sure I didn't pick up

live cable, then hauled it aboard, getting shocked as I did it.
Before I tell the cause, any guesses?

You've got an aluminum boat. The chain made a great conductor to ground.
Your boat had an electricity leak of some sort which was unnoticeable
before, as you were in the faraday cage of its hull, but you were barefoot
or otherwise adequately conductive when you were hauling up barehanded and
the chain completed the circuit.

Howzat?

L8R

Skip and Lydia, still looking for our boat

Over40pirate

[...]

It's a fiberglass boat, and you get shocked even with the motor not running.
RichH

There was a large submarine high power cable buried or on the bottom
somewhere nearby. What you felt was the induced current caused by the
large electric field emanating from the cable.

Over40pirate wrote:
A few years ago while cruising, I was weighing anchor, and when I got to the
chain (no windlass then) I was shocked, not by what was on the hook, but as in
electrical shock. I dropped it and pulled it in again with the same shocking
results. It wasn't a killing shock, and as the hook was clear of the bottom, I
motored off enough with the hook in the water to be sure I didn't pick up a
live cable, then hauled it aboard, getting shocked as I did it.
Before I tell the cause, any guesses?

Fisherman's anchor Charles T. Low General 0 June 9th 04 10:39 PM
What anchor should I buy? Ree-Yees General 89 May 22nd 04 09:05 PM
horizon windlass anchor shoobee General 2 May 13th 04 12:22 PM
Anchor rollers John Kenison General 5 February 23rd 04 08:38 PM
ship anchor hitting smaller vessel Charles T. Low General 7 November 8th 03 01:46 AM