Ree-Yees

Default What anchor should I buy?

I have an anchor (came with the used boat) that looks like this:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&hvarTarget=se
arch&cmCat=SearchResults

Mine is probably 15 pounds. When I anchor in 15-20 feet of water the boat
will slowly still move away. After about 30 minutes I will have moved 15-20
yards back out into the lake.

What style of anchor do I need for a 19 foot sea ray?

--C

Chris Newport

On Saturday 15 May 2004 7:52 pm in rec.boats Ree-Yees wrote:

I have an anchor (came with the used boat) that looks like this:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&hvarTarget=se
arch&cmCat=SearchResults

Mine is probably 15 pounds. When I anchor in 15-20 feet of water the boat
will slowly still move away. After about 30 minutes I will have moved
15-20 yards back out into the lake.

What style of anchor do I need for a 19 foot sea ray?

15 pounds is a paperweight, only suitable for a rowboat.
OTOH, you may not have a problem, in 20 feet of water you should have
paid out 80 feet of chain (NOT rope) so 15 yards of movement does not
necessarily mean that the anchor has moved if there is a strong current.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently

Charles T. Low

I'm not sure what that kind of anchor is for. Maybe for "mooring," but it
doesn't look like anything any serious boater I know uses for conventional
anchoring.

From the library, get a Chapmans or other boating text and read the
anchoring section. There's a lot of "technique" as well as "hardware" to
consider. There are fluke-style anchors (e.g. Danforth, Fortress),
plow-style anchors (e.g. CQR), and Bruce anchors (and facsimiles). And a few
other more specialized types. The technique of "setting" an anchor is a
little different than that of getting it "hold" once it's set.

Using chain? How much? Attached to what kind of line, and how much? How much
do you pay out? What's the bottom like?

Congratulations for keeping a good anchor watch! You're ahead of the curve
by just doing that.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
I have an anchor (came with the used boat) that looks like this:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&hvarTarget=se
arch&cmCat=SearchResults

Mine is probably 15 pounds. When I anchor in 15-20 feet of water the boat
will slowly still move away. After about 30 minutes I will have moved

15-20
yards back out into the lake.

What style of anchor do I need for a 19 foot sea ray?

--C

Jay

I would get a Danforth anchor, and stick with rope..
Here's a pictu http://www.woods-group.co.uk/mooring...rth_anchor.jpg
Should run you about 100 bucks... we use one on a river with moderate
current, and similar depth, and it never moves...

-j

"Ree-Yees" wrote in message
I have an anchor (came with the used boat) that looks like this:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&hvarTarget=se
arch&cmCat=SearchResults

Mine is probably 15 pounds. When I anchor in 15-20 feet of water the boat
will slowly still move away. After about 30 minutes I will have moved

15-20
yards back out into the lake.

What style of anchor do I need for a 19 foot sea ray?

--C

IBNFSHN

80 ft of chain for a 19 ft boat. Good Grief! Well that would certainly hold
it, you wouldn't even need an anchor at the end of it.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va

"Chris Newport" wrote in message
[...]

JAXAshby

15 pounds is a paperweight, only suitable for a rowboat.
OTOH, you may not have a problem, in 20 feet of water you should have
paid out 80 feet of chain (NOT rope) so 15 yards of movement does not
necessarily mean that the anchor has moved if there is a strong current.

even in a Midwest prarrie lake?

nah, *then* a a 15# anchor is what you want.
JAXAshby

you should have
paid out 80 feet of chain

on a Sea-Ray 19 footer?

nah.
JAXAshby

that is an anchor for muddy rivers and lakes. It is the PREFERRED anchor for
muddy rivers and lakes on boats just stopped to do a little fishing.

Don't let anyone talk you into some anchor/chain/12 to 1 scope monstrosity
better suited to anchoring on a coral reef.

what you have preferred for the waters that boat used in prior, and probably
the waters you intend to use the boat in now.

I have an anchor (came with the used boat) that looks like this:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&hvarTarget=se
arch&cmCat=SearchResults

Mine is probably 15 pounds. When I anchor in 15-20 feet of water the boat
will slowly still move away. After about 30 minutes I will have moved 15-20
yards back out into the lake.

What style of anchor do I need for a 19 foot sea ray?

--C

Ree-Yees

Im anchoring in J Percy Priest lake in tennesse, it is a muddy lake.

The people before me said they only used the anchor twice, so I would assume
they just had it for the heck of it. However, me and my family like to
anchor down for an hour to do some fishing or swimming.

I have been looking up some anchoring information and it appears that I have
been going about it all wrong and with this garbage anchor. All the other
boats that I see anchored are just dropping them over the side to the bottom
and ting it up. So that is what I have done.

I realize now that I am supposed to be giving it a bit of slack to make like
a 45 degree angle with my anchor! That danforth anchor looks pretty cool. I
have seen some like that for about $30 at bass pro so I might test one of
those out too.

There sure is alot to learn about boats. Sure sucks some money away too!

Thanks guys,
--C

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...3&hvarTarget=s

arch&cmCat=SearchResults

Mine is probably 15 pounds. When I anchor in 15-20 feet of water the

boat
will slowly still move away. After about 30 minutes I will have moved

15-20
yards back out into the lake.

What style of anchor do I need for a 19 foot sea ray?

--C

Jeff Morris

"Chris Newport" wrote in message

What style of anchor do I need for a 19 foot sea ray?

15 pounds is a paperweight, only suitable for a rowboat.
OTOH, you may not have a problem, in 20 feet of water you should have
paid out 80 feet of chain (NOT rope) so 15 yards of movement does not
necessarily mean that the anchor has moved if there is a strong current.

Total, complete nonsense. There are a number of 15 pound anchors that are
perfectly fine for a small boat, even overkill. I've anchored many times with
a small Fortress; may current second anchor is a FX23, which is only 15 pounds.
Although I'm not a fan of Danforth style anchors as the only anchor in high risk
situations (current reversing in the middle of the night near a rocky shore) in
a muddy lake this would be a very secure anchor.

And contrary to some claims, all chain is usually a waste, often counter
productive. For a small boat in protected waters, the minimum chain, perhaps 8
feet, is best. On my last boat I had a small Fortress for a lunch hook, and
tried to use it with no chain, but it was hard to get it to the bottom if there
was a current.

The problem with the OP's anchor is that its designed for fishing off a small
boat, where long term holding is not even desirable.