Jeff Morris

Default What anchor should I buy?

"Chris Newport" wrote in message
news:1230651.ZhFhDyEEMr@callisto...

What style of anchor do I need for a 19 foot sea ray?

15 pounds is a paperweight, only suitable for a rowboat.
OTOH, you may not have a problem, in 20 feet of water you should have
paid out 80 feet of chain (NOT rope) so 15 yards of movement does not
necessarily mean that the anchor has moved if there is a strong current.

Total, complete nonsense. There are a number of 15 pound anchors that are
perfectly fine for a small boat, even overkill. I've anchored many times with
a small Fortress; may current second anchor is a FX23, which is only 15 pounds.
Although I'm not a fan of Danforth style anchors as the only anchor in high risk
situations (current reversing in the middle of the night near a rocky shore) in
a muddy lake this would be a very secure anchor.

And contrary to some claims, all chain is usually a waste, often counter
productive. For a small boat in protected waters, the minimum chain, perhaps 8
feet, is best. On my last boat I had a small Fortress for a lunch hook, and
tried to use it with no chain, but it was hard to get it to the bottom if there
was a current.

The problem with the OP's anchor is that its designed for fishing off a small
boat, where long term holding is not even desirable.