Skip Gundlach

Default Shocking experience weighing anchor.

Hm...

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
link.net...
I was going to give this one a pass, and then I remembered...

You've got an aluminum boat. The chain made a great conductor to ground.
Your boat had an electricity leak of some sort which was unnoticeable
before, as you were in the faraday cage of its hull, but you were barefoot
or otherwise adequately conductive when you were hauling up barehanded and
the chain completed the circuit.

Howzat?

Methinks you dissemble. You're selling a custom aluminum boat, you had an
electricity leak due to a faulty wind generator which caused your shock.

Turns out the incident wasn't on the boat for sale. I don't actually get
how you managed to conduct electricity through fiberglass to get your shock,
but the rest of the theory was correct :{))

L8R

Skip

Over40pirate

Methinks you dissemble. You're selling a custom aluminum boat, you had an
electricity leak due to a faulty wind generator which caused your shock.

Turns out the incident wasn't on the boat for sale. I don't actually get
how you managed to conduct electricity through fiberglass to get your shock,
but the rest of the theory was correct :{))

L8R

Skip

Since YOU mentioned it, I do have an aluminum 38' sloop for saleand you can
contact me at . However the boat the shocks happened
on
was a fiberglass sloop. that I also own. I suppose it was the wet decks, and
not sure but I may have been barefoot,as it was in southern latitudes. It was
6
or more years ago.

Oh, I forgot to mention the 38' aluminum sloop I have for sale is VERY
"offshore capable".

DSK

"Over40pirate" wrote...
A few years ago while cruising, I was weighing anchor, and when I got to

the
chain (no windlass then) I was shocked, not by what was on the hook, but

as in
electrical shock. I dropped it and pulled it in again with the same

shocking
results. It wasn't a killing shock, and as the hook was clear of the

bottom, I
motored off enough with the hook in the water to be sure I didn't pick up

live cable, then hauled it aboard, getting shocked as I did it.
Before I tell the cause, any guesses?

Skip Gundlach wrote:
You've got an aluminum boat.

IIRC he's got an old IOR racer converted for cruising, not aluminum.

My guess was that the boat was in the area of one of those magnetic
disturbances they mark on the charts, and was sailing around the anchor fast
enough that the magnetic field could induce current in the conductive anchor
chain.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Over40pirate

Skip Gundlach wrote:
You've got an aluminum boat.

IIRC he's got an old IOR racer converted for cruising, not aluminum.

I do have an old IOR racer, converted for cruising that IS Aluminum, however
that is my Wifes boat. The boat the shocks happened on was a Fiberglass boat.
The wind generator threw a winding, and it was grounding on the magnets in the
housing. I may have been barefoot, as it was in the little latitudes.
Capt. K
Over40pirate

Over40pirate wrote:

I do have an old IOR racer, converted for cruising that IS Aluminum,

however
that is my Wifes boat. The boat the shocks happened on was a Fiberglass

boat.
The wind generator threw a winding, and it was grounding on the magnets in

the
housing. I may have been barefoot, as it was in the little latitudes.
Capt. K

I'd be interested in knowing how you figured out what had caused
the shock and how long it took.

Cindy

Well without the diesel running the shocks were still happening. It also
happened when touching the bow rail and stern rail. Lets see, the wind
generator pole is clampet to the stern rail. Hmmmm, Lets see what happens when
I stop the wind generator. No shocks. Took the gererator apart, and found the
broken winding. Any body know a good place to get a armature rewound at a
decient price. I was quoted $175. Another solar panel, kept the generator on
the shelf since then, but I might like to get it running again, for those
cloudy days.
Capt. K

Fisherman's anchor Charles T. Low General 0 June 9th 04 10:39 PM
What anchor should I buy? Ree-Yees General 89 May 22nd 04 09:05 PM
horizon windlass anchor shoobee General 2 May 13th 04 12:22 PM
Anchor rollers John Kenison General 5 February 23rd 04 08:38 PM
ship anchor hitting smaller vessel Charles T. Low General 7 November 8th 03 01:46 AM