Brian Whatcott

Default Shocking experience weighing anchor.

1) A fluorescent light on board has some tricky wiring.
2) The old phone magneto you've been using to catch fish wasn't turned
off while you weighed.
3) The fresh breeze off your synthetic sails has been building charge
on your glass hull with no sea grounds
4) Unfriendly SEALs?
5) Leaky submarine power line
6) Other....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On 16 Jul 2003 23:36:40 GMT, ospam (Over40pirate)
wrote:

Over40pirate" wrote in message

A few years ago while cruising, I was weighing anchor, and when I got to

the
chain (no windlass then) I was shocked, not by what was on the hook, but

as in
electrical shock. I dropped it and pulled it in again with the same

shocking
results. It wasn't a killing shock, and as the hook was clear of the

bottom, I
motored off enough with the hook in the water to be sure I didn't pick up

live cable, then hauled it aboard, getting shocked as I did it.
Before I tell the cause, any guesses?

You've got an aluminum boat. The chain made a great conductor to ground.
Your boat had an electricity leak of some sort which was unnoticeable
before, as you were in the faraday cage of its hull, but you were barefoot
or otherwise adequately conductive when you were hauling up barehanded and
the chain completed the circuit.

Howzat?

L8R

Skip and Lydia, still looking for our boat

It's a fiberglass boat, and you get shocked even with the motor not running.