WBussey

Default Shocking experience weighing anchor.

Static electricty . Caused by a dry wind blowing through the rigging or a storm
in the area.
Jim B

"Over40pirate" wrote in message

A few years ago while cruising, I was weighing anchor, and when I got to

the
chain (no windlass then) I was shocked, not by what was on the hook, but

as in
electrical shock. I dropped it and pulled it in again with the same

shocking
results. It wasn't a killing shock, and as the hook was clear of the

bottom, I
motored off enough with the hook in the water to be sure I didn't pick up

live cable, then hauled it aboard, getting shocked as I did it.
Before I tell the cause, any guesses?

I've been cracked by an electric eel fighting the hook.

Terry Spragg

Over40pirate wrote:

A few years ago while cruising, I was weighing anchor, and when I got to the
chain (no windlass then) I was shocked, not by what was on the hook, but as in
electrical shock. I dropped it and pulled it in again with the same shocking
results. It wasn't a killing shock, and as the hook was clear of the bottom, I
motored off enough with the hook in the water to be sure I didn't pick up a
live cable, then hauled it aboard, getting shocked as I did it.
Before I tell the cause, any guesses?

Your wind generator is not hooked up right. You completed a
circuit when you touched the chain contacting the water.

You were anchored near a radio transmitter tower, and got a shock
induced by some parasitic pick up?

Your pacemaker malfunctioned?

You pulled up a broken fence charger wire?

Terry K

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Larry Starr

Better start talking...or it's gonna Campo del X-Ray...

LS

Over40pirate

Nope

Over40pirate

Any last tries, before the cause is revealed?
Lakewood Electric Ltd.

Electric eel wrapped around your anchor? :-)
Jim
"Over40pirate" wrote in message
Any last tries, before the cause is revealed?

Den73740

Subject: Shocking experience weighing anchor.

Before I tell the cause, any guesses?

Loose battery ground?

Dennis
Over40pirate

Default Shocking experience weighing anchor. Answer is....

The wind generator threw a winding, and it was rubbing on the magnets inside
the housing!

Terry Spragg

Over40pirate wrote:

Your wind generator is not hooked up right. You completed a
circuit when you touched the chain contacting the water.

You were anchored near a radio transmitter tower, and got a shock
induced by some parasitic pick up?

Your pacemaker malfunctioned?

You pulled up a broken fence charger wire?

Terry K

Very close, very close

Close? (True story) Once, I won a pizza shooting a blackpowder
blunderbuss, a 'Brown Bess' flintlock, with a one second delay
after pulling the trigger, no less! I aimed, pulled the trigger,
was perplexed when it didn't go BOOM, I unsquinted, moved my
head, looked at the target with both eyes, then it went boom and
kicked, and the apple, at 50 yards, exploded. The guy offering
the pizza shoot, covered in apple pulp, said, "Close!"

I think the apple was wired, and I was an unwitting shill. His
business picked right up, after that. No body else got the apple,
or a pizza.

A bad connection is the windmill counts as not being hooked up
right in my book.

Where's my pizza?
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is
specifically denied for mass mailing and unrequested
solicitations. Reproduction or conveyance for any unauthorised
purpose is THEFT and PLAGIARISM. Abuse is Invasion of privacy
and harassment. Abusers will be prosecuted. -This notice footer
released to public domain. Spamspoof salad by spamchock -
SofDevCo

Fisherman's anchor Charles T. Low General 0 June 9th 04 10:39 PM
What anchor should I buy? Ree-Yees General 89 May 22nd 04 09:05 PM
horizon windlass anchor shoobee General 2 May 13th 04 12:22 PM
Anchor rollers John Kenison General 5 February 23rd 04 08:38 PM
ship anchor hitting smaller vessel Charles T. Low General 7 November 8th 03 01:46 AM