Default Sailboat Popularity Question ... $4 per gal fuel

Jeff wrote in
:

Yes, we stayed there 3 weeks (mostly at the City, but some at Ashley)
and loved it. If we move South, Charleston is on the short list. (My
first choice is Key West, at least for the Winter, but my wife prefers
a bit more sophistication.)

Y'all come bah 'n sit a spell...(c; Plenty o' room foah evahrebody. We
love Yankee and Canadian dollahs, too!

Many of the condo slips at The Harborage At Ashley Marina are rented out
to transients. If you visited Ashley before, you're in for a shock.
They took the whole marina apart, board by board, and put in all new
facilities and completely restored the docks. Hell, E-dock even has
rubber bumpers, again! The building has been totally renovated. The
heads/showers are all first class. Where the store was by the laundry is
now the condo office. The store is just a tiny one on the ground floor,
now, and, unfortunately, the Yanmar diesel shop has moved out of the
marina. It's really a luxury place, now.

Many people, interested in less pricey accomodations, can also find dock
space on the south end of the old Navy base marina up the Cooper River a
couple of miles from the new bridge. No fancy facilities, but the docks
are good and friendly inside a face dock which protects them.

Larger yachts may prefer Charleston Harbor Marina at Patriots Point Naval
Museum by the USS Yorktown (CV-10). Big chain-falled floating docks with
lots of deep water and nice facilities, too. Very nice view of the
Peninsula from Mt Pleasant, where the elite prefer to reside. A water
taxi (pontoon barge with twin 90 Hondas) provides ferry service from the
marina to the passenger terminal on the end of the city market at Market
St., handy for transients....Very easy, no bridge in and out from sea.

"Scotty" wrote in
:

Anybody else see the irony in this?

Scotty

You gotta know a diesel idling at 1000 RPM, only pulling an A/C compressor
and alternator, uses nearly no fuel at all, right?.....

Bob Bob is offline

Larry wrote:
Larger yachts may prefer Charleston Harbor Marina at Patriots Point Naval
Museum by the USS Yorktown (CV-10).

BIt of trivia............... my mom welded the name on the Yorktown
when it was in Bremerton getting ready for Korea.

Bob

"Larry" wrote in message
"Scotty" wrote in
:

Anybody else see the irony in this?

Scotty

You gotta know a diesel idling at 1000 RPM, only pulling

an A/C compressor
and alternator, uses nearly no fuel at all, right?.....

Is that why they have 'idleing laws' in some cities?

Scotty

"Bob" wrote in news:1155345709.958346.236630
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

BIt of trivia............... my mom welded the name on the Yorktown
when it was in Bremerton getting ready for Korea.

Bob

http://www.patriotspoint.org/

Bob, go to the Patriot's Point webpages and look for the contacts to
them. I'm sure they would be MOST pleased to talk with you about this
piece of Yorktown history and would LOVE to add any pictures and
memorabilia to the museum's vast collection and displays.

Is your mom alive and able to travel? They'd be very interested in
taking her on a VIP tour of "her ship"....Contact them.

Thanks for sharing the info. Her welding is doing a fine job holding the
name on the carrier....(c; It's still there. I bet if you ask them for
at least a picture of her welding job, they'd make arrangements for you
to have it.

Yorktown and Patriot's Point is a fascinating place. If you ever get
there, notice the red wires leading to fire alarm heads throughout the
ship. Our ham club, a ham named Dan and I in particular, spent week
after week working in the summer heat to install those heads onto the red
wires to satisfy the state fire marshall so Yorktown could resume its
sleepovers for Boy and Girl Scouts across the country. There's around
400 alarm heads in a huge system PP couldn't afford to have installed, at
the time, so we hams took up our screwdrivers to pay them back for our
clubhouse, located in the very forward compartment of Yorktown, the
forward control room right up under the forward edge of the flight deck,
the bridge to control the ship should the island bridge become blown away
or inoperative. Charleston Amateur Radio Society has had a 2-meter ham
radio repeater (146.790 Mhz) on top of the mast of Yorktown since it
arrived. I used to spend nearly every weekend over there "doing
something" to help Yorktown, in my younger days...(c;

"Scotty" wrote in
:

Is that why they have 'idleing laws' in some cities?

No, "they" think it reduces air pollution, which is probably true for gas
cars spewing out huge clouds of NOx diesels don't produce.

Yo,, Larry ,, as someone who has driven a school bus .... those things spew
out clouds of smoke, fumes, pollution.

In most states there are laws now that a school bus can not sit and idle.

"Larry" wrote in message
"Scotty" wrote in
:

Is that why they have 'idleing laws' in some cities?

No, "they" think it reduces air pollution, which is probably true for gas
cars spewing out huge clouds of NOx diesels don't produce.

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in news:2RIDg.1070$v_1.596
@trndny01:

In most states there are laws now that a school bus can not sit and

idle.

Isn't it interesting hypocracy where a school bus can't sit idle, but
it's ok for some fat cat to cruise around in a 70' yacht with twin 1500hp
engines burning 100 gallons an hour just for his pleasure?

And, noone does anything about the billions of unnecessary airline seat
miles flown around the world every year. Delta Airlines, ALONE, burned
9.4 million gallons in a year. I heard them talking with the guy who
buys Delta's fuel contracts, bitching about how much money it was costing
bankrupt Delta as the fuel prices rose to meet par with the Illuminati-
controlled Federal Reserve's worthless dollars. Was I the only one who
notice how CLEAN the air was 3 days after they grounded them all on
9/13/01, or was that just over South Carolina?

What's a diesel bus burn idling for an hour a day, 2 litres? 3? A
diesel engine is an air pump. Lots of air going into it at idle burning
a tiny amount of diesel fuel until the fire goes out and it pumps what's
left out the pipe, still full of oxygen with the lamp black soot and CO2
the plants breathe.

Back in the 80's, I was an electronics department head for the SC
Technical Education Center in Sumter, SC, a tiny city East of Columbia.
I drove an old '68 Mercedes 200D, 2.0L, naturally-aspirated diesel with
no pollution controls at all. Like my 220D, it uses a mechanical fuel
pump regulated with a lambskin diaphram that measures air volume flowing
into it past the throttle plate in a venturi in the intake....very
unsophisticated...no electronics at all.....

One day I was in the school's auto shop with the Benz diesel up on the
rack greasing its chassis. (Remember zirk fittings and greased bearings
that never wore out?) The students and instructor were pouring over a
big, carb'd V-8 Ford station wagon someone had donated to the school soon
after the contrived "gas crisis" of '73....long lines, remember? The old
Ford, of course, had America's favorite gas guzzling 428 in it and no
amount of wishing was going to reduce the emissions from the simple old
carb that hadn't changed much since the Model A breathed its first
breath.

Frustrated with their inability to get it under the limits-of-the-time, I
asked them to wheel the big Sun analyzer over to my rack and check my old
200D smokin' monster, all 43hp of it. They set the gas analyzer to its
highest ranges for NOx and CO so my old girl wouldn't pin all the big
meters mechanics are so impressed with and held their breath as they
stuffed the probe up her tailpipe. Huh?? The meters read ZERO! What
the hell?? Downranging to the most sensitive setting CO and NOx barely
moved off zero as I winked at my fellow TEC instructor and the boys
learned something new, today....

I thanked them for the check and continued my extensive grease job down
the propeller shaft to the independent rear axle zirk fittings trying not
to miss any as the instructor tried to explain why this nasty old oil
burner didn't just spew out NOx and CO. We couldn't even make it move
the meters pumping the diesel's accelerator, which always created lots of
carbon to coat that damned white Cadillac tailgating me...(c; It was a
good thing they couldn't measure unburned oil and carbon black. I'd have
moved those meters...(c; My tailpipe was well protected from internal
rusting....

The diesel bus is no threat to create smog, at all....not unless the
damned EPA, tinkering with its injection, caused it.