Larry Larry is offline

Default Sailboat Popularity Question ... $4 per gal fuel

"Bob" wrote in news:1155345709.958346.236630
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

BIt of trivia............... my mom welded the name on the Yorktown
when it was in Bremerton getting ready for Korea.

Bob

http://www.patriotspoint.org/

Bob, go to the Patriot's Point webpages and look for the contacts to
them. I'm sure they would be MOST pleased to talk with you about this
piece of Yorktown history and would LOVE to add any pictures and
memorabilia to the museum's vast collection and displays.

Is your mom alive and able to travel? They'd be very interested in
taking her on a VIP tour of "her ship"....Contact them.

Thanks for sharing the info. Her welding is doing a fine job holding the
name on the carrier....(c; It's still there. I bet if you ask them for
at least a picture of her welding job, they'd make arrangements for you
to have it.

Yorktown and Patriot's Point is a fascinating place. If you ever get
there, notice the red wires leading to fire alarm heads throughout the
ship. Our ham club, a ham named Dan and I in particular, spent week
after week working in the summer heat to install those heads onto the red
wires to satisfy the state fire marshall so Yorktown could resume its
sleepovers for Boy and Girl Scouts across the country. There's around
400 alarm heads in a huge system PP couldn't afford to have installed, at
the time, so we hams took up our screwdrivers to pay them back for our
clubhouse, located in the very forward compartment of Yorktown, the
forward control room right up under the forward edge of the flight deck,
the bridge to control the ship should the island bridge become blown away
or inoperative. Charleston Amateur Radio Society has had a 2-meter ham
radio repeater (146.790 Mhz) on top of the mast of Yorktown since it
arrived. I used to spend nearly every weekend over there "doing
something" to help Yorktown, in my younger days...(c;