Larry Larry is offline

Default Sailboat Popularity Question ... $4 per gal fuel

Jeff wrote in
:

Yes, we stayed there 3 weeks (mostly at the City, but some at Ashley)
and loved it. If we move South, Charleston is on the short list. (My
first choice is Key West, at least for the Winter, but my wife prefers
a bit more sophistication.)

Y'all come bah 'n sit a spell...(c; Plenty o' room foah evahrebody. We
love Yankee and Canadian dollahs, too!

Many of the condo slips at The Harborage At Ashley Marina are rented out
to transients. If you visited Ashley before, you're in for a shock.
They took the whole marina apart, board by board, and put in all new
facilities and completely restored the docks. Hell, E-dock even has
rubber bumpers, again! The building has been totally renovated. The
heads/showers are all first class. Where the store was by the laundry is
now the condo office. The store is just a tiny one on the ground floor,
now, and, unfortunately, the Yanmar diesel shop has moved out of the
marina. It's really a luxury place, now.

Many people, interested in less pricey accomodations, can also find dock
space on the south end of the old Navy base marina up the Cooper River a
couple of miles from the new bridge. No fancy facilities, but the docks
are good and friendly inside a face dock which protects them.

Larger yachts may prefer Charleston Harbor Marina at Patriots Point Naval
Museum by the USS Yorktown (CV-10). Big chain-falled floating docks with
lots of deep water and nice facilities, too. Very nice view of the
Peninsula from Mt Pleasant, where the elite prefer to reside. A water
taxi (pontoon barge with twin 90 Hondas) provides ferry service from the
marina to the passenger terminal on the end of the city market at Market
St., handy for transients....Very easy, no bridge in and out from sea.