Default Sailboat Popularity Question ... $4 per gal fuel

ON LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE - Rising gas prices are not just hitting car drivers,
who are bemoaning paying $3 a gallon to go to work. They're hitting people
at play, especially boaters, who now can pay around $4 a gallon.

================================================== ==========================================

I read this little snipet in a paper. And then I got to thinking ??? Back
in the day ( the 70's ) sailboats were very popular, there was even a song;

It's not far down to paradise
At least it's not for me
And if the wind is right you can sail away
And find tranquility
The canvas can do miracles
Just you wait and see
Believe me

It's not far to never never land
No reason to pretend
And if the wind is right you can find the joy
Of innocence again
The canvas can do miracles
Just you wait and see
Believe me

Sailing
Takes me away
To where I've always heard it could be
Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free

Fantasy
It gets the best of me
When I'm sailing
All caught up in the reverie
Every word is a symphony
Won't you believe me

It's not far back to sanity
At least it's not for me
And when the wind is right you can sail away
And find serenity
The canvas can do miracles
Just you wait and see
Believe me

The hottest songs from Christopher Cross

================================================== =========================================

And now with the price of fuel, I wonder if there will be a resurgence of
the popularity of the cruising sailboat. I was at the fuel dock the other
day, a motor boat was filling up. $300 dollars for the fill up! And this
was not a big boat. I put in $20 dollars. Got my sails ready and paid the
wind a compliment. Off!

All this leads me to believe that there will be a shift in the popularity of
the type of boats the public is buying. Let's face it; there are lots of
good old sailboats for about $20,000. Compare that to a big powerboat, with
its two big engines. I saw one for sale at the boatyard the other day
.......... asking: $47,000 dollars.

So, I get to thinking ??? Buy the $20,000 boat for say $18,000 and then put
in around $25,000 in upgrades. Can you imagine how sweet your sailboat
would be. God, you could have a D Trump yacht.

==================================

Just a thought before I head out.

===

Just another bit of info.

The tall ship Eagle is in Portsmouth, NH this weekend.

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
ON LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE - Rising gas prices are not just hitting car
drivers, who are bemoaning paying $3 a gallon to go to work. They're
hitting people at play, especially boaters, who now can pay around $4
a gallon.

Why not visit the UK and pay $8.50 a gallon.

===============

[...]

most folks are in too much of a hurry in todays "get it now"
environment...Sailing and relaxing is "way over" most folks
thinking......Wait till gas goes over $10us per gallon...That
might folks to change their "rut".....imho of course...

‹(·¿·)›

Dennis Pogson wrote:
Thomas Wentworth wrote:
[...]

Ed Ed is offline

I don't mind a sailboat but I have an issue giving up what I like to do:
-Go to Bimini for a weekend (With the gulfstream it's a 12 hour sail
from FLL. vs 2 hr) not exactly a weekend timing.
-Go out at any tide...Many of the inlets are not available to sailboats
due to the fact that the current rips at 5kts +
-Go diving with several friends... (Not exactly easy to do when the
transom is 4 ft above the water..can't find a good place to put 10 tanks
either.
-Go sport fishing.... 2 lines doesn't cut it and backing down on a fish
is pain.
-drag along a whaler so my kids can ski, wakeboard, etc.
-Run my generator at anchor (Sailboters just don't do that... they
prefer to sweat)

remember... some of us actually use our boats for activities...not just
as a means of transport...$10 a gallon...boating will be the least of
our worries....but I'll still be out there...

If you have the time and the boat fits your activity level then I think
sailboats are a great thing!!!!

================================================ ============================
===============

Ed wrote:
[...]

Quite right too! Nil desperandum carbrundum (never let the *******s grind
you down!)

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in news:q9mBg.1554$Fl2.29
@trndny01:

I was at the fuel dock the other
day, a motor boat was filling up. $300 dollars for the fill up!

I watched a guy pass his credit card to the diesel dock attendant to pay
for the 8,400 gallons of #2 diesel fuel his beast drank. I'm too dizzy to
figure out the cost, just thinking about it....

Hell, in the ketch, 10 gallons will get us to Aruba!....(c;

--
Sea Ray Boats gave my email to Channel Blade to spam me.
phone 865-522-4181

One ****ty Sea Ray boat was enough....

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
ON LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE - Rising gas prices are not just hitting car drivers,
who are bemoaning paying $3 a gallon to go to work. They're hitting people
at play, especially boaters, who now can pay around $4 a gallon.

I'd say boating is in for a hit. Many folks don't have the time /
patience to sail. Like another poster here said, I couldn't make it
from Palm to the islands for a weekend on my 42 foot cutter, but the
powerboats could.

I think that with sailing too tedious for many and power boating too
expensive, the entire industry will take a dive.

My friend is shopping for a power boat now. The prices are WAY WAY down.
I suppose it's the fuel.

-paul

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in
ps.com:

most folks are in too much of a hurry in todays "get it now"
environment...Sailing and relaxing is "way over" most folks
thinking......Wait till gas goes over $10us per gallon...That
might folks to change their "rut".....imho of course...

God I hate sailing with them aboard the boss' boat, too. They just HAVE
to be THERE (X) by 8AM Monday morning. What the hell are they doing on
this sailboat?!

We got becalmed, the sea went flat as a billiard table, 90 miles due S of
Charleston. Cap'n Geoffrey asked me what I thought. I told him the wind
would probably come up again within a few days, peering into the huge
pile of food and beer in the coolers, enough to feed us for a couple of
weeks, well. He smiled, we think alike, and I hit the V-berth for a
little well-deserved snooze after the midwatch.

When I got up, some of "them" looked like they had ants in their shorts!
They were pacing around, looking towards Charleston, verbalizing their
concern with getting home. I wished they had STAYED home, in the first
place! The wind was so calm the genoa just hung loose, barely moving a
fiber. I ate a great sandwich Dagwood would have been proud of and fired
up one of the thousands of movies on the laptop, laying back into the
custom cushions. "They" all looked at me like I was crazy. The boat
wasn't leaking, wasn't in any danger at all....the ideal day at sea,
going nowhere. Maybe we'll have Red Snapper for dinner! We should be
near their grounds... The movie over, I got sleepy, not quite rested
from the Gulf Streamer Race of last night running along about as fast as
I've ever seen the big ketch move.

Geoffrey starting the Perkins for the long motor home woke me, our race
now over, our peace-with-the-sea broken. How awful....We should have
stayed. The wind came up the next day, around 11AM as the high pressure
system moved out of its normal Bermuda High position.....

Nuts.....

Some people should never be allowed to board SAILBOATS!

--
Sea Ray Boats gave my email to Channel Blade to spam me.
phone 865-522-4181
Sea Ray Boats, Inc.
2600 Sea Ray Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37914

One ****ty Sea Ray boat was enough....

Larry wrote:
"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in
ps.com:

[...]

I agree. Man I hated it when our skipper would invite new people for
our afternoon sail and they always *had* to be back for one thing or
another by 1600 or 1700 hrs. If I had known ahead of time, I probably
would have bailed out myself. This was one of the reasons I dropped off
as a crew member and moved up to my own bigger boat.

Paul Cassel wrote in
:

My friend is shopping for a power boat now. The prices are WAY WAY down.
I suppose it's the fuel.

Ah, the beat of the cadence drum synchronizing the oars, intermixed with
the occasional crack of the first mate's whip to encourage them pulling
harder to increase speed.....

We have many strong illegals that won't be missed, you know.....as they
row, quietly, out of the harbor past Ft Sumter.....

All one has to do is collect them, before the Lawn-O-Green or construction
slavers show up at 5AM....

How many oarlocks can be installed into the Hatteras 60 hulls, after the
now useless engines have been removed?

It's always been about the money, you know......