Default Sailboat Popularity Question ... $4 per gal fuel

Gogarty wrote in
news
Whenever we invite someone for a sail and they say they have to be
back by such and such a time we disinvite them.

I always tell the cap'n I have to be back by next July, even in August...
(c;

In article q9mBg.1554$Fl2.29@trndny01,
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote:

And now with the price of fuel, I wonder if there will be a resurgence of
the popularity of the cruising sailboat. I was at the fuel dock the other
day, a motor boat was filling up. $300 dollars for the fill up! And this
was not a big boat. I put in $20 dollars. Got my sails ready and paid the
wind a compliment. Off!

At our marina, even the sailboats aren't going out as much because of
the cost to get TO the boat. It's really hurting the whole industry as
those boats that aren't used don't break so often.

Meanwhile, we used 13 gallons last year and haven't quite used 10 yet
this season -- but we've only been out about 25 days so far.

--
Jere Lull

Jere,,, it just occured to me ... if less people are using their boat, and
the boat market gets really soft due to fuel costs ... then the component
suppliers will start to hurt as well..

By this I mean: the diesel re-power people. The equipment people. The ...
you can see where this is going.

Do you think that eventually the market will actually start to change the
way the marina's charge? I think that one of the huge problems up here in
the Northeast is the availble space for moorings, dockage, and the overall
rippoffs that the marina's have become.

I don't know any rich sailors. Yet, the marina's act as if all sailboat
owners are rich. Go figure.

If boating as a market gets soft, I wonder if we will start to see a change
in the way us peons are treated.

=================================
"Thomas Wentworth" wrote:

And now with the price of fuel, I wonder if there will be a resurgence of
the popularity of the cruising sailboat. I was at the fuel dock the
other
day, a motor boat was filling up. $300 dollars for the fill up! And
this
was not a big boat. I put in $20 dollars. Got my sails ready and paid
the
wind a compliment. Off!

At our marina, even the sailboats aren't going out as much because of
the cost to get TO the boat. It's really hurting the whole industry as
those boats that aren't used don't break so often.

Meanwhile, we used 13 gallons last year and haven't quite used 10 yet
this season -- but we've only been out about 25 days so far.

--
Jere Lull

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:33:26 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

I think that one of the huge problems up here in
the Northeast is the availble space for moorings, dockage, and the overall
rippoffs that the marina's have become.

If you owned a piece of waterfront property that was being taxed to
death, and could easily be sold to condo developers for millions,
you'd want a decent return on your investment also, especially in a
short season like Maine's. Be glad that you can still find a marina
at any price.

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:30:02 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

Just now I was reminded of a term I heard last fall.

"stuck on stupid"

Well Tom, stupid is, as stupid does.

I don't complain about the high cost of marinas because I have my own
dock in front of the house with room for two boats.

How about you?

======================================

================================================= ===============================
.. .

wrote:

Just now I was reminded of a term I heard last fall.

"stuck on stupid"

Well Tom, stupid is, as stupid does.

I don't complain about the high cost of marinas because I have my own
dock in front of the house with room for two boats.

How about you?

Well..aren't you special!
Suppose you expect us common folk to genuflect as we pass by your
plantation and big house.

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 18:17:10 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Well..aren't you special!
Suppose you expect us common folk to genuflect as we pass by your
plantation and big house.

==========================

No but it would be nice if you and Tom could share your whine with
each other instead of the whole group.

Don White wrote in news:GEpCg.37912$pu3.496689
@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Well..aren't you special!
Suppose you expect us common folk to genuflect as we pass by your
plantation and big house.

Wake 'em!......(c;

DSK DSK is offline

Well..aren't you special!
Suppose you expect us common folk to genuflect as we pass by your
plantation and big house.

Larry wrote:
Wake 'em!......(c;

On videotape