Larry Larry is offline

Default Sailboat Popularity Question ... $4 per gal fuel

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in news:2RIDg.1070$v_1.596
@trndny01:

In most states there are laws now that a school bus can not sit and

idle.

Isn't it interesting hypocracy where a school bus can't sit idle, but
it's ok for some fat cat to cruise around in a 70' yacht with twin 1500hp
engines burning 100 gallons an hour just for his pleasure?

And, noone does anything about the billions of unnecessary airline seat
miles flown around the world every year. Delta Airlines, ALONE, burned
9.4 million gallons in a year. I heard them talking with the guy who
buys Delta's fuel contracts, bitching about how much money it was costing
bankrupt Delta as the fuel prices rose to meet par with the Illuminati-
controlled Federal Reserve's worthless dollars. Was I the only one who
notice how CLEAN the air was 3 days after they grounded them all on
9/13/01, or was that just over South Carolina?

What's a diesel bus burn idling for an hour a day, 2 litres? 3? A
diesel engine is an air pump. Lots of air going into it at idle burning
a tiny amount of diesel fuel until the fire goes out and it pumps what's
left out the pipe, still full of oxygen with the lamp black soot and CO2
the plants breathe.

Back in the 80's, I was an electronics department head for the SC
Technical Education Center in Sumter, SC, a tiny city East of Columbia.
I drove an old '68 Mercedes 200D, 2.0L, naturally-aspirated diesel with
no pollution controls at all. Like my 220D, it uses a mechanical fuel
pump regulated with a lambskin diaphram that measures air volume flowing
into it past the throttle plate in a venturi in the intake....very
unsophisticated...no electronics at all.....

One day I was in the school's auto shop with the Benz diesel up on the
rack greasing its chassis. (Remember zirk fittings and greased bearings
that never wore out?) The students and instructor were pouring over a
big, carb'd V-8 Ford station wagon someone had donated to the school soon
after the contrived "gas crisis" of '73....long lines, remember? The old
Ford, of course, had America's favorite gas guzzling 428 in it and no
amount of wishing was going to reduce the emissions from the simple old
carb that hadn't changed much since the Model A breathed its first
breath.

Frustrated with their inability to get it under the limits-of-the-time, I
asked them to wheel the big Sun analyzer over to my rack and check my old
200D smokin' monster, all 43hp of it. They set the gas analyzer to its
highest ranges for NOx and CO so my old girl wouldn't pin all the big
meters mechanics are so impressed with and held their breath as they
stuffed the probe up her tailpipe. Huh?? The meters read ZERO! What
the hell?? Downranging to the most sensitive setting CO and NOx barely
moved off zero as I winked at my fellow TEC instructor and the boys
learned something new, today....

I thanked them for the check and continued my extensive grease job down
the propeller shaft to the independent rear axle zirk fittings trying not
to miss any as the instructor tried to explain why this nasty old oil
burner didn't just spew out NOx and CO. We couldn't even make it move
the meters pumping the diesel's accelerator, which always created lots of
carbon to coat that damned white Cadillac tailgating me...(c; It was a
good thing they couldn't measure unburned oil and carbon black. I'd have
moved those meters...(c; My tailpipe was well protected from internal
rusting....

The diesel bus is no threat to create smog, at all....not unless the
damned EPA, tinkering with its injection, caused it.