Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Dangerous Maga-yacht in Maine

"Gary" wrote in message
news:HTSyg.269894$Mn5.193877@pd7tw3no...
Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:18:03 GMT, Gary wrote:

I wouldn't clearly understand what a "pass on two whistles" is. I am a
ships captain. What does it mean?

In an meeting situation it means you intend to pass the vessel on your
(and his) starboard side, the reverse of the normal port-to-port
oncoming pass.

I thought this was more or less universally understood, perhaps not,
but then again I am not a ships captain...

In an overtaking situation it also means you intend to leave the other
vessel on your starboard side, their port side.

Interesting, is that written down in some book I could refer to? I have
never encountered this way of speaking on the radio. It sounds archaic
but I would like to read about it somewhere.

Do you have a reference?

In my experience, we have always used colors. Like:

"I will meet you green to green." or

"I'll overtake you on your green side" (not used often, we would normally
say starboard side)

We do use whistle signals but they don't agree with your "pass on two
whistles".

Is that an inland US rules thing?

Gary

Interesting Gary. Where do you boat out of? I have been traveling up and
down the US East Coast for years. "One / two whistle pass" is the normal
day agreement language I hear --- certainly when talking with commercial
boats. I occasionally hear green / red amongst recreational boaters ... but
not very often.