Gerald Gerald is offline

Default Dangerous Maga-yacht in Maine

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Gerald" wrote in message
??? I am not sure what do you mean ???

As I mentioned prior ... I know the rules. This thread

has evolved to be
somewhat fuzzy. At no point did the original poster state

that the incident
took place outside the COLREG line (I am not personnaly

familiar with the
Portland area). Several give-and-takes that have taken

place here discussed
the use of sound signals to give passing intentions. This

is a concept that
does not exist in normal passing situations in COLREG

waters. In
INTERNATIONAL waters sound signals are generally (except

for narrow
channels) used to announce steering actions taken, not

proposed actions as
in INLAND. I incorrectly asssumed from the context of the

discussion that
the discussion was about an event that took place under

INLAND.

Having since checked a chart for the Portland area, it is

now apparent that
the incident may have occured ouside the COLREGS line.

While I certainly
didn't say that the INTERNATIONAL rules did not apply, nor

that the INLAND
rules did apply, you could reasonable assume that thay may

have been my
intention. If so, I stand corrected.

that was a lot of words just to admit you were wrong.

A lot of words to explain that there was no clear way to tell which rules
applied. In fact much of the supporting discussions and information
provided by the original poster would lead one (not familiar with the actual
area in question) to assume it was under INLAND rules.