Ken Heaton

Default Suggestion for a 4-800 lb. inexpensive mooring ?

I was around when one of the crusher cones went in. We rolled it out of a
pickup truck next to the water onto a floating dock section with a few small
logs in between as rollers. We then pulled the floating dock out to the
position desired (with mooring chain and float already attached) and pushed
it off the dock. It made a pretty splash. There were five or six guys
aroud for this as extra hands are handy. Watch your toes. These are in the
Bras d'Or Lakes, one in a very exposed location. They dig into the bottom
by themselves and DO NOT MOVE. Very nice.

I work with one of the guys who put a train wheel or two in at Baddeck
Harbour so I'll see him Monday and ask him how they got those in.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
k.net...
Ken Heaton wrote:
Train wheels are good. One wheel with half the axle is what a couple of
friends in Baddeck are using. He won't tell me where he got them.

Another option are Crusher Cones, inner or outer, made of manganese
steel, from rock crushers. About 1000 lbs I believe. Some other
friends of mine use them. I'm not sire where he got them, he's had them
for years.

Perhaps Paul Hashem's Scrap Yard on Brookland St. in Sydney could help.
(902) 564-6346 They may have other suggestions.

Ken,

How are these people gettin' these things in the water :-)

Thanks again,

Courtney

Dennis Pogson

purple_stars wrote:
a fifteen foot tall statue of elvis, especially if it had his guitar
sticking out on both sides.

on a serious note, i thought that most moorings were poured concrete,
poured right on the spot using whatever kind of form you can
make/find. concrete cures just fine under water once it's been
poured, and i'm sure concrete is easier to deal than a fifteen foot
tall statue of elvis.

Courtney Thomas wrote:
I want to install a fixed mooring this summer and see that for
example mushroom anchors are expensive.

The environment is... Atlantic salt water, in a fairly well protected
cove, with 6' tides, in about 10-15' of water, virtually no traffic
and a spit serving as immediate breakwater.

Alternative suggestions to a mushroom would be appreciated.

Courtney

Depending on the aggregate in the mix, concrete is just about the worst
substance you can use. A stone aggregate will barely hold a 35-footer unless
the weight is dug in about 12 feet down in heavy mud. How are you going to
do this? I saw a newly-laid slab of concrete "hopped across" the bay by a
Nicholoson 32 in a force 6 some years ago. If you use iron or steel
aggregate, then you increase the weight per unit volume slightly, but it's
still too light for storm conditions.

Train wheels are far-and-away the best moorings, next to a couple of large
(and expensive) mushrooms with 30 metres of 1" link chain between 'em.

Paul Cassel

Courtney Thomas wrote:

My understanding is that concrete loses a lot of it's 'weight' in water,
whereas steel/iron do not and given the recent hurricane rash I'd prefer
all I can reasonably get. Plus I'm not in an area catering to such
services as installing moorings, for example.

The reason for most of the mass of a mooring anchor is to dig it into
the seabed. The mass, after it's buried, isn't too proportional to its
holding power. Thus once buried, a concrete cone would work as well as
an iron mushroom anchor of greater density.

-paul
AMPowers

I'd second the idea about concrete. It has very low density and unless
it is buried very deeply is less likely to provide as much holding power.

An alternative approach might be to use something very heavy as a center
weight such as a car engine block but to then add a few additional
anchors around it.

I helped a friend do this with his mooring a few years back and it seems
to have worked very well. We dropped an engine into the mud, having
first threaded several heavy chain loops threw it and welded them in
place. Each loop attached to a singe very large turnbuckle to which the
mooring chain was attached.

What made it someone different was that we added three small danforth
anchors in a star pattern radiating out from it, each on about 10' of
chain. We dug a trough for each of these and tensioned them so that the
anchors were completely set and then covered them over.

The block provided weight and the anchors provided lateral resistance.
Seems to have worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Robb

Dennis Pogson wrote:
Depending on the aggregate in the mix, concrete is just about the worst
substance you can use. A stone aggregate will barely hold a 35-footer unless
the weight is dug in about 12 feet down in heavy mud. How are you going to
do this? I saw a newly-laid slab of concrete "hopped across" the bay by a
Nicholoson 32 in a force 6 some years ago. If you use iron or steel
aggregate, then you increase the weight per unit volume slightly, but it's
still too light for storm conditions.

Train wheels are far-and-away the best moorings, next to a couple of large
(and expensive) mushrooms with 30 metres of 1" link chain between 'em.

Sal's Dad

Same idea, more common - manhole covers. Available from a street near
you...
Sal's Dad

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you can find them locally, a couple of scrap trainwheels work well
too. ....and they have a handy hole in the middle to run your chain
through.

Matt

Terry K wrote:
How big a boat?

An engine from a T-bird might just do. All it needs is a trip through
the car wash to get the oil and crud out of it. No big deal.

I used a truck engine to moor my SC22 for years, and the local marina
guy dropped a concrete mooring he cast in his own yard into my
beachfront for 250 bucks, delivered. He told me it needed to cure on
land for a couple of weeks to satisfy the enviromaniacs.

Terry K

RE. getting the train wheels "out there" .

When we set up my dad's mooring, (4 trainwheels) we simply sued the
anchor roller on his Bayfield 23 with a 2 part prushase led to a winch.
We'd pick up the wheels 1 by one, take them out tot he mooring aite
and lower them to the bottom..

Matt

Terry K wrote:
How big a boat?

An engine from a T-bird might just do. All it needs is a trip through
the car wash to get the oil and crud out of it. No big deal.

I used a truck engine to moor my SC22 for years, and the local marina
guy dropped a concrete mooring he cast in his own yard into my
beachfront for 250 bucks, delivered. He told me it needed to cure on
land for a couple of weeks to satisfy the enviromaniacs.

Terry K

Courtney Thomas

Don White wrote:
Courtney Thomas wrote:

I accept and thank you for the offer, especially since I'm in Nova
Scotia.

Cordially,
Courtney

Wouldn't you know it...That program sat around since the middle of
February, and I must have thrown it out last week when I came across it.
I went to the show list of exhibitors (floor plan doesn't seem to be
available) see ** http://tinyurl.com/e6lfm **
and I'm pretty sure it's 'Good Mooring St. Margarets Bay Inc.'
re 411 program.........
Good Mooring
902-826-2628
St Margarets Bay, NS B3Z 1H3

Category: Docks & Dock Builders

Thank you for your trouble, Don.

Courtney
Courtney Thomas

Ken Heaton wrote:
I was around when one of the crusher cones went in. We rolled it out of a
pickup truck next to the water onto a floating dock section with a few small
logs in between as rollers. We then pulled the floating dock out to the
position desired (with mooring chain and float already attached) and pushed
it off the dock. It made a pretty splash. There were five or six guys
aroud for this as extra hands are handy. Watch your toes. These are in the
Bras d'Or Lakes, one in a very exposed location. They dig into the bottom
by themselves and DO NOT MOVE. Very nice.

I work with one of the guys who put a train wheel or two in at Baddeck
Harbour so I'll see him Monday and ask him how they got those in.

Ken,

Any chance of your finding out where to get the "crusher cones" and
their cost ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

Inexpensive Fishing Boat Recommendation homey General 3 March 13th 06 04:17 AM
Block Island RI - OLD Harbor [email protected] Cruising 15 March 2nd 06 01:53 PM
Source for Screw / Helix Type Mooring Anchors Ebb Tide General 1 February 11th 06 06:37 AM
Mooring or Dock Capt.Mooron ASA 51 November 14th 05 07:22 PM
Mildew on underside of mooring cover? Bchbound Cruising 2 October 17th 05 02:59 PM