Capt.Mooron

Default Mooring or Dock

I believe a mooring is by far the better choice to have than a dockside
slip. No chafe and the bow is always pointed into the wind. The savings will
easily fund a proper tender and the privacy of a mooring is much preferred
to the dockside rubber-neckers.

CM

Capt. Rob

I believe a mooring is by far the better choice to have than a dockside

slip. No chafe and the bow is always pointed into the wind. The savings
will
easily fund a proper tender and the privacy of a mooring is much
preferred
to the dockside rubber-neckers.

Almost entirely depends on where the slips are. A slip means ultra easy
access to your boat and you're generally sailing faster. Most of our
local "accidents" are moored boats, dragged, hit or whatever. The slips
by us are very quiet even during a storm, no where near the action of a
moored boat in the same area. Slip also means your boat is easier to
keep clean, charged, load up and so on. You also have full time shore
power for tools, toys and air conditioning. It also makes it a lot
easier when you want to just "hang out" without dealing with a launch
or dinghy. In THIS area, a slip is nicer (and twice the cost). In some
areas a mooring may be prefered.

RB
35s5...happy for her slip!
NY

Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message Almost entirely depends on
where the slips are. A slip means ultra easy
access to your boat and you're generally sailing faster. Most of our
local "accidents" are moored boats, dragged, hit or whatever. The slips
by us are very quiet even during a storm, no where near the action of a
moored boat in the same area. Slip also means your boat is easier to
keep clean, charged, load up and so on. You also have full time shore
power for tools, toys and air conditioning. It also makes it a lot
easier when you want to just "hang out" without dealing with a launch
or dinghy. In THIS area, a slip is nicer (and twice the cost). In some
areas a mooring may be prefered.

Since my vessel does not require shore power to provide comfortable living
accommodations... I can't see the sense in placing my vessel to a slip. My
boat does not need to be near a power source since it is properly outfitted
for long durations and living aboard under sail and at anchor.

My power tools are battery operated and I can recharge from shore or with
the inverter.

It's just nice knowing I don't require to be attached to a shore umbilical
cord to provide me with requirements to live comfortably on my boat. I know
my tender is in top shape at all times.... and the mooring presents the
least area to the prevailing wind which also protects the cockpit and
provides the best ventilation.

I have had a slip for a season or two... but I found no benefits to it at
all and many negatives. I just find it as easy to make for the dinghy dock,
jump in my inflatable tender and whip out to my moored vessel in seconds.
Once there I have left the shore and am subject to privacy and the comfort
of actual sea motion.

I have never suffered damage at a mooring. I cannot say the same for a slip.

Slips are for condoboat sailors.... unless of course you are in an area that
has no alternative to a dock.

Bart Senior

"Capt.Mooron" wrote

"Swabbie Robbie" wrote in message
or dinghy. In THIS area, a slip is nicer (and twice the cost).

Since my vessel does not require shore power to provide comfortable living
accommodations... I can't see the sense in placing my vessel to a slip. My
boat does not need to be near a power source since it is properly
outfitted for long durations and living aboard under sail and at anchor.

Swabbie doesn't know what he's talking about AGAIN.

Cost is the main reason to chose a mooring over a dock.
It is a more like four times the cost or more to take a slip
over a mooring.

MOORING COST--typically $100/yr, usually not more
than double that--every town has a different rate.

The ground tackle will set you back $1500, unless you buy
it used for $750. Plan on maintenance at the beginning and
end of each season. Ever other year it must be pulled and
inspected by someone hired by the town--cost about $75,
plus chain if it's old.

Some places rent moorings. The lowest price quoted was
$90 at the Navy Base in Newport, RI. That was a few years
ago. I might sail HOOT up there and put her on a mooring,
at least part of next year. $100 a month is a good rate of
return once it finishes paying for itself.

Figure $150/month for renting a mooring. Your costs are
far less in the long run if you install your own mooring.

Slips are expense. You'd be horrified at the price. I'd guess
ECHO at 46 feet would cost $6000 for the season, and $2300
for winter storage at one of the bigger commercial yards
nearby.

ECHO down at Liberty Landing would be around $8000
or more.

My yacht club charges $1018 for a 50 foot slip. So you
can see there is a 8:1 variation in slip fees. Clubs make
a huge difference is cost savings.

CM, what did you charge when you worked on moorings?

Capt. Rob

Cost is the main reason to chose a mooring over a dock.
It is a more like four times the cost or more to take a slip
over a mooring.

I don't pay for my slip or other yard fees. 135 per foot last time I
checked. WIth electric and other fees, about 6800.00 here. That's not
too expensive and I've never heard anyone claim it was...until now. Our
club also has wireless internet, phone hookup and so on.

RB
35s5
NY

Capt.Mooron

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message

CM, what did you charge when you worked on moorings?

Standard Moorons Rates were 3 flats of beer and a bottle of Lambs Navy Overproof Rum for placing a 1500lb mooring.... that was including materials and assembly for the base but not the chain, bolts or nuts/washers or float. At that price we would float it out and make certain it was placed properly.

Servicing a mooring was 1 flat of beer and a bottle of rum plus air for the tanks.

BTW - 20 Grader Blades with S/S ready-rod and 2" PVC spacers cut at 4" lengths. 3 point hook up with 3 separate chains to a swivel shackle and then the chain to the surface. Bullet Proof!

CM
Capt. JG

Interesting... most of the accidents around here are people falling on the
dock trying to get on and off their boats! We also get a bunch of people who
can't control their boats when leaving or returning to their slips... end up
crunching something.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Capt.Mooron

Any vessel not able to generate power for it's on board systems is a vessel
with a poorly thought out system.

Sailboats belong on a mooring.... Powerboats belong at the dock.

CM

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
As long as you have a way to generate some power.

"Capt.Mooron" wrote
I believe a mooring is by far the better choice to have than a dockside
slip. No chafe and the bow is always pointed into the wind. The savings
will easily fund a proper tender and the privacy of a mooring is much
preferred to the dockside rubber-neckers.

CM

Bart Senior

How do you generate power? Do you have a solar
panel? Engine charging?

"Capt.Mooron" wrote.

Dock Hardware julien Boat Building 5 November 9th 05 12:49 AM
Thinking of becoming a live aboard richard Cruising 27 November 3rd 05 09:27 PM
Storing gasoline in a dock box? Anthony General 5 October 30th 05 10:48 PM
Storing Gasoline in a Dock Box Anthony General 0 October 30th 05 05:03 AM
Mildew on underside of mooring cover? Bchbound Cruising 2 October 17th 05 02:59 PM