Skip Gundlach

Default PoliGlow on AwlGrip - or, what??

Answering my own question, and changing the topic, as there's more heat
than light now, in the original:

SKIP,

POLI GLOW WOULD REALLY BE IDEAL FOR AWLGRIP THAT IS OLDER THAN YOURS.
SAY MAYBE IN THE 7-10 YEAR RANGE.

THANK YOU.

TODD BRYANT

POLI GLOW PRODUCTS, INC.
www.poliglowproducts.com

So, I'm stuck. I'm waiting for a response from them as to what else
might be appropriate - but solicit opinion from experienced
glass-look-achievers WRT Awl-Gripped surfaces' treatment.

Thanks, as always...

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely
nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing,
messing-about-in-boats; messing about in boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter,
that's the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never
get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to
do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

Skip Gundlach

Evidently, the prior thread with a reply from poliglow was between a
poster and a retailer, not the company. This is what I got from the
company:

Subject: use over awl-grip
Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:03 AM

CHECK WITH AWLGRIP ITSELF TO SEE WHAT THEY APPLY TO THEIR PAINTS, OR
WEST MARINE, BOAT US MAY HAVE SOMETHING TOO.

REGARDS,
TODD

POLI GLOW PRODUCTS, INC.
www.poliglowproducts.com

Skip Gundlach

From: Don W

Skip,

How is the older Awlgrip looking at this point?

The paint on the sides of the boat is presumed to be Awl-Grip, but it's
like the rest of this boat's representations before we bought it: "New"
means since they bought it, not necessarily any time recent to the
sale. So, what I thought was new Awl-Grip is more likely 10-15 minimum
years old, particularly since it's been on the hard for just over 2
years.

As such, the topsides, which I presume to have had only the non-skid
areas badly redone in gray (redone by my contractor in white, with
actual nonskid, rather than just a paint-over of the original, perhaps
also repainted, tread areas), and the sides of the cabin house badly
weathered, along with most of the striping/non-nonskid areas, so that
will be a great candidate for PoliGlow.

However, the sides are also chalking, and my contractor is certain it's
paint and not gelcoat. He's got a test he'll do to determine whether
it's AG or something else, and then we'll make up our minds about
whether we want to do something with PG or more conventional muscle and
buffer.

Either way, I'd like to make it look at least as good as it did when we
bought it. The PO and his daughter's boyfriend and the tech/mech who'd
been looking after the boat in the 15 years he owned it spent three
weeks in a yard working on it prior to our purchase. That was
represented as a "addressing all the things which might turn up on a
surveyor's punch list" - but my experience has convinced me that it
was, instead, strictly cosmetic, without any of what the surveyor would
otherwise call out even glanced at.

OTOH, if you click the URL in my sig, you'll see that the exterior
looked very good when we surveyed her - I'd like to achieve that or
better, this time around. Current state is pretty easy to see in the
various pix in the M46Projects gallery of recent vintage. Not bad, but
not glowing, either...

Thanks for asking.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely
nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing,
messing-about-in-boats; messing about in boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter,
that's the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never
get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to
do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."

Roger Long

I just asked the wax guy at my yard about stripping the wax before
launch so I could put on Poli Glo in the water. He didn't want to do
it.

A pretty clear picture is emerging, 100% of people who make there
living waxing boats say the Poli Glo and similar products will turn
into an alligator mess in a few years that will cost a fortune to
remove. So far, 100% of users reporting say it's great. Do I smell a
conspiracy?

Once assured that I just want a holding action to slow or halt further
deterioration of my topside and am not trying to have the finish
restored, he agreed to throw on a coat of wax. I'll probably go that
route this year just because of the time and hassle factor.

--

Roger Long

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Richard J Kinch

Roger Long writes:

Do I smell a conspiracy?

At $40/quart for a dilute acrylic emulsion, the conspiracy may be on
both sides.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...34636863f7021/

Roger Long

OTOH it would not surprise me one tiny bit to learn that Poli Glo is
just floor finish with a new lable. Without a gas chromograph to find
out though, who's going to risk putting floor finish on their boat?

Actually, this would be a great use for an old dinghy. Poli Glo on
one side, floor finish on the other. In 5 - 6 years, someone would
have a great and useful post for this group.

Someone send me a dinghy and I'll do it

--

Roger Long

"Mys Terry" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:57:06 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Roger Long writes:

Do I smell a conspiracy?

At $40/quart for a dilute acrylic emulsion, the conspiracy may be on
both sides.

Richard Kinch has previously demonstrated his great knowlege and
intelligence by
suggesting that drinking gasoline is perfectly harmless. When
questioned, he
supported that position in stronger and stronger terms, and
ferociously attacked
all who questioned him, rather than simply admit it was a stupid
thing to say.

Chris

So what is the prep/remover for floor polish?

Richard J Kinch

Dave writes:

Here's a simpler test to give at least a partial answer.

It would be a lot simpler if the manufacturer simply stated in plain terms
what the product contains and what is of such unique value to earn
multiples of what the rest of the US coatings industry earns per unit
volume. The lack of such disclosure suggests that the fact is, not much.
Richard J Kinch

Chris writes:

So what is the prep/remover for floor polish?

Typical ingredients for an acrylic polish stripper are butyl cleaner,
ethanolamine, benzyl alcohol, coupler/hydrotrope(s). Sometimes an alkali
like NaOH or KOH or ammonia. Think of it as a harsh but water-based paint
stripper (think of the acrylic polish as acrylic paint without pigment), or
oven cleaner. Related to 409 or Fantastik type household cleaners

Here's an example:

http://www.betco.com/MSDS/184.pdf

PoliPrep is more or less a dilute subset of that. Plus a pretty blue dye.
Ed

WRONG..... I do NOT wax boats for a living.. .I just use them...
Poliglow looks great for a year or two (Average ownership interval for
most boat owners) but after a year or so it starts building up, turning
yellow and then if you left it on long enough... yes aligator crazing.
It took my longer to remove it that it did to have waxed my boat for
those 2 years. ALSO... the diesel grunge somehow blended with it
because I could not remove the diesel grunge on the transom without
removing the poli-crap.

There is no free lunch... wax your boat