Skip Gundlach

Default PoliGlow on AwlGrip - or, what??

From: Don W

Skip,

How is the older Awlgrip looking at this point?

The paint on the sides of the boat is presumed to be Awl-Grip, but it's
like the rest of this boat's representations before we bought it: "New"
means since they bought it, not necessarily any time recent to the
sale. So, what I thought was new Awl-Grip is more likely 10-15 minimum
years old, particularly since it's been on the hard for just over 2
years.

As such, the topsides, which I presume to have had only the non-skid
areas badly redone in gray (redone by my contractor in white, with
actual nonskid, rather than just a paint-over of the original, perhaps
also repainted, tread areas), and the sides of the cabin house badly
weathered, along with most of the striping/non-nonskid areas, so that
will be a great candidate for PoliGlow.

However, the sides are also chalking, and my contractor is certain it's
paint and not gelcoat. He's got a test he'll do to determine whether
it's AG or something else, and then we'll make up our minds about
whether we want to do something with PG or more conventional muscle and
buffer.

Either way, I'd like to make it look at least as good as it did when we
bought it. The PO and his daughter's boyfriend and the tech/mech who'd
been looking after the boat in the 15 years he owned it spent three
weeks in a yard working on it prior to our purchase. That was
represented as a "addressing all the things which might turn up on a
surveyor's punch list" - but my experience has convinced me that it
was, instead, strictly cosmetic, without any of what the surveyor would
otherwise call out even glanced at.

OTOH, if you click the URL in my sig, you'll see that the exterior
looked very good when we surveyed her - I'd like to achieve that or
better, this time around. Current state is pretty easy to see in the
various pix in the M46Projects gallery of recent vintage. Not bad, but
not glowing, either...

Thanks for asking.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
http://tinyurl.com/384p2 The vessel as Tehamana, as we bought her

"Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely
nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing,
messing-about-in-boats; messing about in boats-or *with* boats.
In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter. Nothing seems really to matter,
that's the charm of it.
Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never
get anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to
do, and you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."