Leanne

Default Absolute must read!

"Larry DeMers" wrote in message
It was not always so however. It used to be that there was more of
a sense of community responsibility, or public spirit or morality -call
it whatever. It was the force that said profit is ok, but putting the
guy out of business and laying off folks is not. It said that part of
the magazine can be dedicated to an ideal other than the dollar bill.

As a general example, I cite "Cruising World". In 1976, when I
startd collecting them, the magazine was practically wall to wall
cruising stories, all interesting, all written with a layer of wonder at
this fairly new occupation (cruising). It was interesting and vital.

I used to wait for the October Boat Show issue and go through the many pages
of the new offerings. As the years went by, that section started shrinking
until now it is not there. I let my subscription run out a couple years ago
as it just became a rag of ads.

Leanne

Bob

Darn.........

I wish we would start talking about boats again. I like boats.
Boats are fun.
Enron is not fun.

Bob

Wayne.B

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:41:10 GMT, Mys Terry
wrote:

And don't be fooled by Practical Sailor.
They are likely not nearly as pure as they would like everyone to believe.

That's no doubt true but they are the best we've got. Their achilles
heal is accepting free use of equipment for testing. They would be
much more independant if they went out and purchased it with a testing
budget. Realistic? Probably not given their limited circulation.

Larry

Dave wrote in news:31biu11k3nfvussd5biiladn7iloehsj0e@
4ax.com:

You really don't understand the media business model, do you.

I don't either. The lighted billboard that was in my living room has
been gone for 8 years, now. Of course, the lighted billboard is TV. Why
anyone would PAY to have cable TV spam them to death always fascinates
me. They should be paying the consumers to watch that lighted
billboard....

Want a free AM-FM radio? I've given away 8 of them, so far. I'll keep
the hand crank portable that also runs on solar panels in case there's a
national emergency.

Nielsen Rating called my cellphone, which isn't right in itself. They
wanted to know what my favorite radio station was. I told them I like
BBC-2 better than BBC-4 by a little bit. The silence on the line was
deafening until she recovered a little, then asked what LOCAL radio
station I listened to. I told her none, they were just audio billboards
and of no further use. Who the hell wants to ride around town with a car
salesman sitting next to you trying to sell you a new car all day and
Ditech.com's salesman riding behind you trying to get you into debt? How
stupid...that and listen to some idiot bitching about this or that on AM,
now....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio

I offered to pay my UK radio tax to support such fine programming, but
they declined my offer. Then, I offered to pay my UK TV taxes if they'll
put the home channels on pay for play broadband! They're thinking about
it....(c;

I don't want to watch BBC America. It's not near as good as BBC's home
channels.

Larry

"Bob" wrote in news:1139354946.919603.312150
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Enron is not fun.

Enron had boats, didn't they? Maybe we can buy one from the bankrupcy
judge!

No, belay that....We're not an energy company that can FEED those boats...
(c;

Raymarine's radar scanners suck.....

There. That'll make the thread go on for weeks in gang warfare...(c;

Gary

Mys Terry wrote:

wrote:

And don't be fooled by Practical Sailor.
They are likely not nearly as pure as they would like everyone to believe.

That's no doubt true but they are the best we've got. Their achilles
heal is accepting free use of equipment for testing. They would be
much more independant if they went out and purchased it with a testing
budget. Realistic? Probably not given their limited circulation.

It's not nearly good enough. Anyone who makes a purchase decision based on PS is
making a huge mistake. I did not renew my subscription. I find their testing
methods to be entirely random, unscientific, careless and worthless. You could
easily add "dishonest" to that list. They compound that by conclusions and
recommendations that do not match the results they themselves printed. They will
fault something in one product and excuse the same fault in the one they pick as
best. They do this constantly. JUNK JOURNALISM

How about an example rather than just a rant. I find them informative
and interesting even if I don't always agree. Their assessment of my
old Ranger 26 was at odds with what I thought but I enjoyed the read.
Jonathan Ganz

In article kBbGf.461816$2k.188693@pd7tw1no,
Gary wrote:
How about an example rather than just a rant. I find them informative
and interesting even if I don't always agree. Their assessment of my
old Ranger 26 was at odds with what I thought but I enjoyed the read.

I don't think this particular sockpuppet is up for much more.

How did you like the Ranger? Anything interesting you can share would
be appreciated, since it's one of the boats we're considering for our
program.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

Gary

Gary wrote:

How about an example rather than just a rant. I find them informative
and interesting even if I don't always agree. Their assessment of my
old Ranger 26 was at odds with what I thought but I enjoyed the read.

I don't think this particular sockpuppet is up for much more.

How did you like the Ranger? Anything interesting you can share would
be appreciated, since it's one of the boats we're considering for our
program.

I loved that little Ranger. I think Gary Mull was ahead of his time
when he designed it. The little beauty sailed like a charm. It was
fast and had all the tweaks that anyone could want. The trick was to
keep it flat because it wiped out pretty quick after about 15 degrees of
heel. Even I won races in it.

The interior was spartan but functional. My wife and I had many happy
cruises in it for about a week at a time. It was very robust but it did
have a bit of wet core in the deck and around the chain plates. It was
a 72 and had been raced for a long time. I owned it in 2002. The lack
of bridge deck was a concern because I once laid it right down
(spinnaker round up) and had water coming over the side and right down
into the boat.....not good.

The other issue was the sloppy rudder bearing that I kept tightening
with slices of a plastic milk carton.

I was a great boat to sail on. I loved the instant feedback whenever we
changed trim or sail shape. A great learning boat and it is a good
looking boat.
johnhh

Nielsen Rating called my cellphone, which isn't right in itself. They
wanted to know what my favorite radio station was. I told them I like
BBC-2 better than BBC-4 by a little bit. The silence on the line was
deafening until she recovered a little, then asked what LOCAL radio
station I listened to. I told her none, they were just audio billboards
and of no further use.

Nielsen Rating called me once and wanted to know what TV programs I watched.
I said none, that I didn't have a TV. She replied that she guessed I didn't
get to voice my opinion then. I told her that I thought I had voiced my
opinion pretty well.

Now, back to the boat...

John