Leanne

Default Absolute must read!

"Larry DeMers" wrote in message
It was not always so however. It used to be that there was more of
a sense of community responsibility, or public spirit or morality -call
it whatever. It was the force that said profit is ok, but putting the
guy out of business and laying off folks is not. It said that part of
the magazine can be dedicated to an ideal other than the dollar bill.

As a general example, I cite "Cruising World". In 1976, when I
startd collecting them, the magazine was practically wall to wall
cruising stories, all interesting, all written with a layer of wonder at
this fairly new occupation (cruising). It was interesting and vital.

I used to wait for the October Boat Show issue and go through the many pages
of the new offerings. As the years went by, that section started shrinking
until now it is not there. I let my subscription run out a couple years ago
as it just became a rag of ads.

Leanne