henderob

Default How to get experience so that I can escape?

For as long as I can remember, I've been planning on getting a boat and
taking off, cruising around for a few years. I've read a lot of books
on the subject but up to this point have focused mainly on getting the
$$ to actually be able to do this. I have very limited sailing
experience, consisting of crewing on a large yacht for a couple weeks
when I was younger.

I'm 25 now, and the goal has always been to leave before I was 30.
However, a strange thing happened in the past year - a project of mine
took off, and all the sudden I find myself in a position where I have
the money to go, now. I have somewhere around $200k in the bank. I
could buy a boat and leave, except that I have zero experience and
don't want to die.

So my question is: how do I get to the point where I can realistically
purchase my own boat and take off? I know about the offshore cruising
schools,etc,.. but would it make more sense to look around for a
(probably unpaid) crewing position? And if so, how should I go about
that? Just hang out on the docks at the right time of year?

Also, complicating matters, I will more than likely be bringing my
girlfriend along, who also has no experience sailing.

I would like to be in my own boat cruising within, say, one year. I'm
looking for any and all advice - what to read, what to do, etc etc. .

Thanks very much.
-Bobby

Danny

Bobby:

You sound like a whole lot of us when we were 25. Hang on to the dream, no
matter what comes because it worth it. Your dream is possible. Most of your
friends and even some here might say that you're naive. Ignore them.

You need some experience and training. There are a lot of moving parts on a
boat. Mechanical, standing rigging, running rigging, electrical, canvas,
plumbing and diesel/gas engines. If you tally them all up and expect to
master them before you leave for a while, you just might be overwhelmed and
quit. I've met folks off shore with $40,000 boats and little in their
pockets. They usually grin a lot.

I spent some time with Lynn and Larry Pardee at a few boat shows and they
have cruised the world on a wee boat for many years. They have a motto that
goes something like: Go early, go small, go simple, go now. I've mangled it
but you get the idea. They intentionally chose to leave behind many of the
boat accessories that seem almost "mandatory" these days. Our own boat is
simple to maintain, own and repair. Most new boats do not fit that
description. Whether you explore the Puget Sound, bum around the Carib or
set sail for the horizon, you need to fix your home yourself.
A great collection of articles on everything boats can be found at
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/cruising/

The best advice I could offer is: keep reading, get some professional
classes, join a cursing and a racing club for a year or two and buy a boat
afterward. By then, you've practiced on other's boats and sampled a wide
variety of sizes, types and styles. And keep dreaming your dream with a
casual plan.

Dan

"henderob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Capt. JG

"henderob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Start by reading all the other related threads in this newsgroup. You'll
find most of the answers.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Don White

henderob wrote:
[...]

I recommend you take a small fraction of your nest egg ($35K)
and sign up on the Picton Castle.
see: http://www.picton-castle.com/

"Danny" wrote in message
Damned spell checker. That's "cruising" not "cursing!"

That's going to be more accurate. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

cruisenews

Get a +/- 30 foot boat that was well taken care of by the previous
owner and is set up for cruising. There are usually a couple of these
for sale in most harbors. Choose an area that is easy to cruise in and
has lots of nice anchorages and port towns, say, Chesapeake Bay, the
Carolinas or coastal New England. Don't make any big hops, just sail
from harbor to harbor during the day. Try to anchor out as much as
possible and use the dinghy. Stay in the harbor if the weather is bad,
in fact, just have fun and hang around in the harbors and wait till the
time is just right to sail on to the next. When you meet other sailors,
always take the opportunity to sail with them and see how they have
their boat set up.

Do this for at least 2 months before you buy a bigger boat. It may be
a little like camping at first, but you will learn a lot, quickly and
any beginner mistakes will be made with a low cost boat.

You can also learn a lot from sailing logs, he

http://cruisenews.net/voyagelogs.html

http://cruisenews.net/shipsatsea.html

henderob wrote:
[...]

DSK

henderob wrote:
For as long as I can remember, I've been planning on getting a boat and
taking off, cruising around for a few years. I've read a lot of books
on the subject but up to this point have focused mainly on getting the
$$ to actually be able to do this.

You're lucky, most people get sidetracked into doing this
for the rest of their lives.

... I have very limited sailing
experience, consisting of crewing on a large yacht for a couple weeks
when I was younger.

OK, that's not a bad start. But it sounds like you're
uncertain where the next step is.

I'm 25 now, and the goal has always been to leave before I was 30.
However, a strange thing happened in the past year - a project of mine
took off, and all the sudden I find myself in a position where I have
the money to go, now. I have somewhere around $200k in the bank. I
could buy a boat and leave, except that I have zero experience and
don't want to die.

Good. How long is that 200K$ supposed to last you? Is that
all budgeted for buying & commissioning the boat, or is it
for groceries the whole time too? One suggestion I have is
to take some time to learn at least the basics of investing
intelligently, so your money will work for you and you'll
have more of it over time. But I digress.....

So my question is: how do I get to the point where I can realistically
purchase my own boat and take off? I know about the offshore cruising
schools,etc,.. but would it make more sense to look around for a
(probably unpaid) crewing position?

That depends on what you want to learn and what your time
frame is. Sailing schools are generally oriented toawrds
wealthier people who want to charter big fancy boats in
vacation areas. But, they are an excellent means of
acquiring the tools and at least a small amount of
experience, with a safety, in skippering a big boat. That is
something which entails a subtle difference from anything
else any man has ever done.

Normally I'd advise people to do a lot of crewing before
stepping into a boat of their own, and it's surprisingly
easy to land crew positions (especially on racing boats).
But you can speand years doing this and not make very much
progress towards your goal.

Also, complicating matters, I will more than likely be bringing my
girlfriend along, who also has no experience sailing.

Now you're really getting in deep!

I would like to be in my own boat cruising within, say, one year. I'm
looking for any and all advice - what to read, what to do, etc etc. .

This might sound a bit dumb, however you should really take
a cruise first, especially with your girlfriend, to see if
you like it. Go to one of the charter outtits that charter
smaller bare boats. Get whatever their minimum comptetency
is, take a week, and spend it on the boat even if you mostly
daysail & come back to the charter co's dock at night.
Although you should try anchoring out at least one night,
there's nothing else quite like that either.

Anyway, I think your goal of going cruising within a year is
certainly do-able; the problem is to break it down into
discrete steps.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bob

Try this:

Take your $200K and put $190K in a one year CD.I thnk they pay a bit
over 4.5% now Hold out $10K and buy a boat over 5GRT. Liveaboard, fix
it, sail it, and have lots of fun. Make sure its the biggest piece of
junk you can buy. When you peal off some paint docking, run aground, or
even sink it you're bucks ahead plus have lots of OJT.

Do three years of that and then self report your "sea service" as owner
of a vessel over 5 GRT to qualify for your 50 GRT Master/100 ton Mate
Near Coast license. Spend another 180 days working on the water then
upgrade to 100 GRT Master. Go to the gulf and drive a crewboat around.
Yo Ho Ho, there ya go mate. Within 360 days you may be looking at 200
Master/ 1600 mate.

Sea ya down there.
Bob

Howard

I'm 55 with a mid-life crisis. Had some cash, some old experience on
motor boats none sailing, bought a 33' boat, took off for a month. Did
pretty much as is outlined by "cruisenews" below.

Got in some trouble. Got out of it too. Great fun.

Same routine next year. Gives me something to dream about at nights
when I would be otherwise concocting ways to rid myself of various
co-workers and/or clients. Dark nefarious dreams of unspeakable
horror......but I diverge.

The longer you wait the greater the chance that some
unanticipated/undesire event (new landlubber girfriend?) will put a
crimp in the plan.

My vote? Do it.

While planning buy, read, and take along:
1. Singlehanded Sailing: The Experiences and Techniques of the Lone
Voyagers by Richard Henderson

2. Heavy Weather Sailing, by Peter Bruce (orginally by Adlard Coles)

3. Everything by Nigel Calder but especially:

Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook: A Compendium for Coastal and Offshore
Sailors

and
How to Read a Nautical Chart : A Complete Guide to the Symbols,
Abbreviations, and Data Displayed on Nautical Charts

and
Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair

Best of luck,

Howard