Gordon Wedman

Default Largest Singlehanded Sailboat Is What?

"BeeRich" wrote in message
oups.com...
I follow the Vendee Globe, and that's a bit different. They are
designed with the race in mind, knowing there's one person in the boat.
I won't have that luxury. I also don't want to circumnavigate
completely in 110 days. Extreme is quite the description, but exact.

I'm also following the VOR, but they take too long between legs. I'd
like to be in Australia right now.

So, a 45 / 50 foot sailboat could very well do the job. That's what
I'm looking for. I'll just have to ask if it's designed to be fully
controlled singlehandedly.

Cheers

I don't think you are going to find a production boat that is " designed to
be fully controlled singlehandedly".

For one thing I doubt very much you will get a powerful below decks
autopilot in such a boat. If you are going to do serious ocean sailing you
need one of these. Many would say you also need a windvane steering system
and again this will not be on a production boat.
The bottom line is that you can probably sail any boat single-handed but you
will need to add various pieces of equipment.
What needs to be added will depend on how the boat is equipped initially.
In this regard a previous circumnavigator in the 40 to 50 foot range might
be the better choice.
However Mr. BeeRich, if in fact you are rich, you can just buy whatever you
like and have someone outfit it for you.

Rosalie B.

"BeeRich" wrote:

Hi Rosalie. I would suspect that docking would be a regular event.
From my research I'm guessing 50 feet max. I would eventually like to

travel the world, and make some good time to wherever I am travelling.
A circumnavigation would be the best.

Cheers

The people that I know that single hand a boat like ours mostly
anchor. They come into their home dock, or come in for fuel and that
is it. Docking this boat is harder if there is wind or current
because it has a modified full keel and is a very heavy boat with a
somewhat underpowered engine (37,000 lbs and 60 hp). Other types of
boats would be easier.

If you are circumnavigating, docking would be infrequent. There's
lots of space between the edges of the continents with no docks g

You will need a boat big enough to put a dinghy on though.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html
Martin Hinders

Hi,
yes, I mean a bow thruster to help you out of a difficult situation, and a
fixed blade propeller with a powerful engine to give you the power to
reverse out of difficult situations.
I have several times seen modern boats with folding propellers, and weak
engines, end up in situations where they need external help to avoid a
complete disaster. Unexpected winds, currents in a narrow space and you can
quickly find yourself in trouble.
In my opinion 40 hp for a 40 footer is on the smaller side.
I have 75hp Volvo Penta MD21 in my 35 footer (with a max of 3000 r.p.m.
giving 55 hpin the boat), with a big 3-blade fixed prop, and I have on
occasion needed all of it, both in the North Sea and in the Mediterranean.
Cheers,
Martin
--
"BeeRich" skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...
Wow a bow thruster for a 35 foot boat? Or do you mean a larger boat?
Why the fixed prop? is 40 horsepower considered a powerful engine for
a 40 footer?

Cheers

Bryan

We sail a 60 footer and I have no trouble sailing her by myself. The tough
part is docking her. Lot's of windage, lots of weight, and it takes a big
circle to put her in her spot even with a bow thruster.

Sailing around the world in 110 days is not a problem for many of todays
purpose built cruising boats. A big Sundeer will make those miles in that
time frame but plan on spending $2,000,000.

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in message

"BeeRich" wrote in message
[...]

Wayne.B

On 31 Jan 2006 09:21:10 -0800, "BeeRich" wrote:

I'll just have to ask if it's designed to be fully
controlled singlehandedly.

That's a good start but on a 45 to 50 foot boat you also need a plan
in place to repair, replace or do without any of the specialized gear
for single handing. That is way too much boat for one person to
handle if things start going wrong, and they will from time to time.

Thomas Wentworth

Joshua Slocum ,,, He went around the world in a 38 foot boat .. The Spray.

"BeeRich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks.

I've been slowly researching sailboats for my future. I've raced
Lasers in my past, grew up on an Alberg 30 here in Toronto, and wish to
continue my love for boats.

I've been to boat shows, and looked at boat plans online.

Regardless of price, what is the largest sailboat that one can handle
singlehandedly? I'm looking for a rear cockpit sailboat that I could
take anywhere in the world. As well, I don't need it to sleep 40
people, as I'd rather exchange staterooms for storage or other
functionality.

Thanks to a Toronto boat show I'm fond of the Dufour 40 foot range.

http://www.dufouryachts.com

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers

BeeRich

Hi Gordon.

I wasn't suspecting such autopilots to be installed. I just wanted to
know the ramifications of increasing size. I know most install things
like weather vane autopilots and other long-haul equipment. I just
don't want to be running around the deck all day long cause I simply
want to tack.

I will deal with funds later.

Cheers

BeeRich

Right now I'm looking at 40 to 55 feet. Even above 50 feet, space
becomes somewhat redundant.

I still have my original dinghy, an Avon with a Seagull 0.5 hp engine.
Don't know if she floats though.

Cheers

BeeRich

I like the layout of the Sundeer 60. However I need to earn a couple
more bucks. Some day. Thanks for the lead.

rhys

On 31 Jan 2006 04:23:04 -0800, "BeeRich" wrote:

Thanks to a Toronto boat show I'm fond of the Dufour 40 foot range.

http://www.dufouryachts.com

I look forward to your replies.

DId you look at the backing plates on that Dufour 40? Hmmm....

I'm in Toronto, too, and at best intermediate in skills, but I
regularly take out my Viking 33 in 25 knots or better, solo.

I think you have to look at a level of physical fitness, skill,
assistive devices and sailplan. Francis Chichester took Gypsy Moth, a
55-odd foot ketch, a lot of miles in the '60s and he was an old man
with cancer. But that's the exception. Hal Roth took a Santa Cruz 50
(a very hot circa 1990 race boat) out on many races/rallies, also
alone. I don't know what age he is now, but I would imagine he was 55
or so then.

If you are solo sailing, may I ask where and why you need "the biggest
boat"? Because I can give you a LOT of answers based on that.

R.

Sailboat do-over! Capt. Rob ASA 24 January 11th 06 11:55 PM
Sailboat lots in Florida and Google earth Jeff Rigby General 4 December 21st 05 11:54 AM
FS: 50 feet aluminium sailboat in La Rochelle, France Ddr Lgt Marketplace 0 December 14th 05 08:04 PM
Doug's Sailboat Capt. Rob ASA 38 November 30th 05 01:14 AM
Refurbished Sailboat tracebility Denis Marier Boat Building 1 November 26th 05 03:52 PM