Gordon Wedman

Default Largest Singlehanded Sailboat Is What?

"BeeRich" wrote in message
oups.com...
I follow the Vendee Globe, and that's a bit different. They are
designed with the race in mind, knowing there's one person in the boat.
I won't have that luxury. I also don't want to circumnavigate
completely in 110 days. Extreme is quite the description, but exact.

I'm also following the VOR, but they take too long between legs. I'd
like to be in Australia right now.

So, a 45 / 50 foot sailboat could very well do the job. That's what
I'm looking for. I'll just have to ask if it's designed to be fully
controlled singlehandedly.

Cheers

I don't think you are going to find a production boat that is " designed to
be fully controlled singlehandedly".

For one thing I doubt very much you will get a powerful below decks
autopilot in such a boat. If you are going to do serious ocean sailing you
need one of these. Many would say you also need a windvane steering system
and again this will not be on a production boat.
The bottom line is that you can probably sail any boat single-handed but you
will need to add various pieces of equipment.
What needs to be added will depend on how the boat is equipped initially.
In this regard a previous circumnavigator in the 40 to 50 foot range might
be the better choice.
However Mr. BeeRich, if in fact you are rich, you can just buy whatever you
like and have someone outfit it for you.