Martin Hinders

Default Largest Singlehanded Sailboat Is What?

Hi,
yes, I mean a bow thruster to help you out of a difficult situation, and a
fixed blade propeller with a powerful engine to give you the power to
reverse out of difficult situations.
I have several times seen modern boats with folding propellers, and weak
engines, end up in situations where they need external help to avoid a
complete disaster. Unexpected winds, currents in a narrow space and you can
quickly find yourself in trouble.
In my opinion 40 hp for a 40 footer is on the smaller side.
I have 75hp Volvo Penta MD21 in my 35 footer (with a max of 3000 r.p.m.
giving 55 hpin the boat), with a big 3-blade fixed prop, and I have on
occasion needed all of it, both in the North Sea and in the Mediterranean.
Cheers,
Martin
--
"BeeRich" skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...
Wow a bow thruster for a 35 foot boat? Or do you mean a larger boat?
Why the fixed prop? is 40 horsepower considered a powerful engine for
a 40 footer?

Cheers