rhys

Default Largest Singlehanded Sailboat Is What?

On 31 Jan 2006 09:15:38 -0800, "BeeRich" wrote:

Wow a bow thruster for a 35 foot boat? Or do you mean a larger boat?
Why the fixed prop? is 40 horsepower considered a powerful engine for
a 40 footer?

Too many variables. For a racer-cruiser, it's big. For a steel full
keel ketch, it's small. But my buddy at Port Credit sails a 15 tonne
steel ketch with a 35 hp Volvo in it at 8 knots. But then he went to a
lot of trouble to get a special thrust bearing and an AutoProp, which
allowed him after a lot of experimentation to get close to the maximum
out of his relatively small but reliable engine.

A bit of advice: I know a lot of current boats have sail drives, but I
think a lot of moorings/marinas/clubs are very careless with stray
current, and sticking a big strut of aluminum into salty electrified
water makes these units fail. For cruising, I would choose a fully
inboard engine.

R.
BeeRich

I wasn't saying I wanted the biggest boat, I just saw some things on
larger boats (45 to 55 feet) that suggested that there always might be
a crew on board, if long hauls were in order. I also see the
international races sporting 60 foot boats, yet I realize this is a
very unique application. However, I don't want to overlook the need
for a definite size to either gain a certain speed or safety while at
sea. Even the Vendee Globe boats are huge.

The stories I've seen are from 17 feet to about 35 feet. I've been on
boats in my day, and 40 to 50 would probably be best. I also suffer
heavily from boat envy, and larger boats, with blue hulls and teak
decks just win me over. Fetish? Perhaps.

I also would like to entertain people, as my parents had a blast with
people at Ontario Place, where we had our mooring on a yearly basis.
Best days of my life so far.

And lastly, I see the quality/environment of larger boats to be much
more appealing. Plywood interiors with cans of tuna rolling around
doesn't appeal to me. Makes it more like a job, or something I feel I
have to accomplish. I have worked hard enough so far, and I'd like
some relaxing fun in my life, not a perilous wet chore.

Cheers

BeeRich

Why would stray currents manipulate a sail drive more than a fixed prop
on drive shaft?

Install Mercruisers. That should do it.

Cheers

Thomas Wentworth

I just had a thought ... if you buy too big a boat you will be posting here
as:

BeePoor

=====================
"BeeRich" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks.

I've been slowly researching sailboats for my future. I've raced
Lasers in my past, grew up on an Alberg 30 here in Toronto, and wish to
continue my love for boats.

I've been to boat shows, and looked at boat plans online.

Regardless of price, what is the largest sailboat that one can handle
singlehandedly? I'm looking for a rear cockpit sailboat that I could
take anywhere in the world. As well, I don't need it to sleep 40
people, as I'd rather exchange staterooms for storage or other
functionality.

Thanks to a Toronto boat show I'm fond of the Dufour 40 foot range.

http://www.dufouryachts.com

I look forward to your replies.

Cheers

BeeRich... I'm certain the following is an *extreme* example of
what you might be looking for:

At this very moment there is a loung lady... Dee Caffari... the
*sole* occupant aboard the S/V Aviva... a 72' Challenge Class
yacht... making her way down in the Southern Ocean attempting
a circumnavigation the "hard way" meaning Westbound from England.

The aformentioned vessel is state of the art... the skipper very well
qualified...and owners/sponsors with "deep pockets"!

Though not necessarily an appropriate consideration for you... the
above illustrates what can be done along the lines of what you have
been talking about.

Best regards

Bill

Refer: http://www.avivachallenge.com

Don White

BeeRich wrote:
[...]

Nothing wrong with the larger boats...as long as you have the resources
to pay for, maintain and use them without undue financial hardship.
Do you have a few *reliable* crew available?
You will need a hand or two for enjoyable, safe sailing.
rhys

On 2 Feb 2006 07:29:21 -0800, "BeeRich" wrote:

Why would stray currents manipulate a sail drive more than a fixed prop
on drive shaft?

Install Mercruisers. That should do it.

Cheers

http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/last/psadvisory/

I thought you wanted a sailboat.

R.

rhys

On 2 Feb 2006 07:22:57 -0800, "BeeRich" wrote:

And lastly, I see the quality/environment of larger boats to be much
more appealing. Plywood interiors with cans of tuna rolling around
doesn't appeal to me. Makes it more like a job, or something I feel I
have to accomplish. I have worked hard enough so far, and I'd like
some relaxing fun in my life, not a perilous wet chore.

Well, if you want fast and efficient, you should be prepared to spend
around half-a-million. The Tartan 4100, the Saga 43 and 48 and the
J-160 come to mind as nicely appointed, but speed-oriented sailing
machines that one could conceivably handle solo.

I like the Shearwater 45, but it's tipped a tad toward comfort over
speed. Lovely boats, though.

Don't rule out aluminum boats, particularly the French ones.

R.

BeeRich

If I had a big boat, I wouldn't be online. I'd be on my big boat.

Sailboat do-over! Capt. Rob ASA 24 January 11th 06 11:55 PM
Sailboat lots in Florida and Google earth Jeff Rigby General 4 December 21st 05 11:54 AM
FS: 50 feet aluminium sailboat in La Rochelle, France Ddr Lgt Marketplace 0 December 14th 05 08:04 PM
Doug's Sailboat Capt. Rob ASA 38 November 30th 05 01:14 AM
Refurbished Sailboat tracebility Denis Marier Boat Building 1 November 26th 05 03:52 PM