rhys

Default Largest Singlehanded Sailboat Is What?

On 31 Jan 2006 04:23:04 -0800, "BeeRich" wrote:

Thanks to a Toronto boat show I'm fond of the Dufour 40 foot range.

http://www.dufouryachts.com

I look forward to your replies.

DId you look at the backing plates on that Dufour 40? Hmmm....

I'm in Toronto, too, and at best intermediate in skills, but I
regularly take out my Viking 33 in 25 knots or better, solo.

I think you have to look at a level of physical fitness, skill,
assistive devices and sailplan. Francis Chichester took Gypsy Moth, a
55-odd foot ketch, a lot of miles in the '60s and he was an old man
with cancer. But that's the exception. Hal Roth took a Santa Cruz 50
(a very hot circa 1990 race boat) out on many races/rallies, also
alone. I don't know what age he is now, but I would imagine he was 55
or so then.

If you are solo sailing, may I ask where and why you need "the biggest
boat"? Because I can give you a LOT of answers based on that.

R.