prodigal1

Peggie Hall wrote:

I hate to give away my age, but it wasn't MY generation...the Boomers
came after me. And I agree: my god, what the baby boomers have done to
this society! THEY were the ones who chose to let daycare warehouse
their kids instead of raising 'em themselves...their kids have made the
same choice...and now we have a third generation of "warehoused" kids
coming up who've had no real "raising," and who are so desperate for any
real attention--postive OR negative--from adults that they'll even shoot
their schoolmates and teachers to get it.

"it's not MY fault, it's someone else..."
how fscking lame
nice cop out Peggie. moral high ground you do not have. if it takes an
entire village to raise a child, what part did you play or are you
playing in the creation/maintenance of that village?

I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina and found
for the second time that kids have been aboard smoking pot.

I would report this to the police and keep a copy of the report on your
boat.

If you are ever stopped for a search by the USCG and they bring a dog
aboard and find pot remnants, YOU will be the one in trouble and in
danger of losing your boat - UNLESS you have reported the illegal entry
to the police and kept your copy to show the coasties.

Peggie Hall

prodigal1 wrote:

Peggie Hall wrote:

I hate to give away my age, but it wasn't MY generation...the Boomers
came after me. And I agree: my god, what the baby boomers have done to
this society! THEY were the ones who chose to let daycare warehouse
their kids instead of raising 'em themselves...their kids have made
the same choice...and now we have a third generation of "warehoused"
kids coming up who've had no real "raising," and who are so desperate
for any real attention--postive OR negative--from adults that they'll
even shoot their schoolmates and teachers to get it.

"it's not MY fault, it's someone else..."

That's NOT what I said OR even implied...and you know it's not.

nice cop out Peggie. moral high ground you do not have. if it takes an
entire village to raise a child, what part did you play or are you
playing in the creation/maintenance of that village?

I chose not to have children, because I could not stay home to raise
them. I think my part in "the village" is obvious from my previous
comments: if parents can't be bothered to teach their children that
actions have consequences, the "village" has to do it. If the "village"
won't assume any responsibility either, the "village" has no choice but
to accept being victimized...which is apparently what "dbohara" has
decided to do.

--
Peggie
----------
Don White

PocoLoco wrote:

Wow! You don't want them to get in trouble for trespassing and smoking pot.

Maybe their parents felt the same way. Let the little guys do whatever the hell
they want.

Seems like your priorities are a little messed up here.

Yes...maybe you could use your influence to have them accepted into the
army John. A few tours in Iraq would straighten them out....don't you
think?

L. M. Rappaport

On 27 Aug 2005 15:46:44 -0700, wrote (with
possible editing):

I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina and found
for the second time that kids have been aboard smoking pot. They do
not steal anything or do any damage but they do leave butts and ashes.
This time one left a T-shirt which could be used to ID them if I was
really interested. The first time I think they got aboard by me
leaving the combo lock unlocked (you have to spin the tumblers and I
forget). This time I think they actually removed the hasp but
carefully replaced the screws when they left. Security at the dock is
minimal and would be difficult to enforce. I do not want to get them
in trouble for the pot smoking and do not really want to get them in
trouble for using my boat while doing no damage. However, they could
get hurt being stoned and stupid so I want them to never come back. I
left two notes for them telling to leave my boat but I do not think
they will see them because they do not turn on any lights. I'll
replace the lock and hasp tomorrow but wonder if anyone else has any
suggestions for a way to warn them without hurting them.

For what it's worth, I think the issue of prosecution isn't really
central to you. No opinion, and I won't get into a battle. I think
what you are really concerned with is damage to your boat.

First of all, I believe the advice that
gave you is
spot on. You need to keep a copy of the incident report on your boat.
The Coast Guard has made drug interdiction a large part of their
mission and you never know when you will become a random target.

Second, what access do you have to power? You could mount a low light
cctv camera high up on a mast and aim it at the cockpit. With a small
recorder with or without a motion detector; it would likely give you a
picture of the offenders sufficient to identify them. Certainly a
motion detector would give false positives as a boat is always moving,
but it would work. After the storm (good luck, btw) you might rig
this up.

Best,
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
Roger Long

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am not interested in ruining some kids life just cuz he thinks my
boat is a good place to have a joint with his girlfriend.

Instead, you'll let him go on to ruin his own life in a bigger way.
Depriving him of the opportunity to learn that actions such as
breaking into your boat have consequences and getting the intervention
he needs is doing him no favor.

--

Roger Long
(Former drug counselor and drug program director)

Roger Long

That is a very, very, good point. The drug cops will take your boat
if they find a single seed because it boosts their "body count" and
looks good at evaluation time without having to actually confront
someone who might shoot at them.

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina and
found
for the second time that kids have been aboard smoking pot.

I would report this to the police and keep a copy of the report on
your
boat.

If you are ever stopped for a search by the USCG and they bring a
dog
aboard and find pot remnants, YOU will be the one in trouble and in
danger of losing your boat - UNLESS you have reported the illegal
entry
to the police and kept your copy to show the coasties.

Sam

They don't need to be busted since they're not wrecking anything, but
if they're leaving residue that's your liability when the CG sticks
their nose into your business. Zero tolerance. You can't legally rig up
a loaded shotgun to the door, but you could rig up one of those aerosol
air horns to the door or a trip wire. Or a whole bunch of pots and pans
to crash unto the floor. Or both. I can see the air horn loading their
pants, scrambling head over heels out of the boat, up the dock and out
of the vicinity in a blind panic which would be vastly entertaining to
see. You could add to the horn and the pans with a tape recording of a
snarling, barking, attacking beast and I'll bet you could have them
screaming as they run. There could be a silver lining to this whole
episode if you get it on video. Sam

Peggie Hall

Sam wrote:

You can't legally rig up
a loaded shotgun to the door, but you could rig up one of those aerosol
air horns to the door or a trip wire. Or a whole bunch of pots and pans
to crash unto the floor. Or both. I can see the air horn loading their
pants, scrambling head over heels out of the boat, up the dock and out
of the vicinity in a blind panic which would be vastly entertaining to
see. You could add to the horn and the pans with a tape recording of a
snarling, barking, attacking beast and I'll bet you could have them
screaming as they run. There could be a silver lining to this whole
episode if you get it on video. Sam

Which their parents would use as evidence in their lawsuit against
him--and prob'ly the marina too--if the little buggers got hurt in their
mad scramble to get off his boat and run away. And if a burglar who fell
through the skylight of a building he was trying to break into was able
to win a suit against the building owner for a ridiculous amount for the
injuries he sustained (it happened! Nor is it the only case in which a
would-be criminal successfully sued for injuries he sustained while
committing--or trying to commit--the crime), those kids' parents could
very likely win too.

'Tis a strange and wacky world we live in today.

--
Peggie