Trevor Miller

Default Protocol for entering marina

I'm doing my first ocean run (weather willing) Saturday morning from Lewes
DE to Ocean City Inlet. I have a transient slip reserved but I'm curious as
to the protocol for coming in and figuring our where to go. (I have
navigational instructions to get to the marina - OC Fishing Center)

Does one typically make radion contact first or is there some sort of
generic transient dock to figure that out. i've only ever docked on lakes
before at self service tie-ups, ramps etc.

thanks

-trevor

jim--

"Trevor Miller" wrote in message
vers.com...
I'm doing my first ocean run (weather willing) Saturday morning from Lewes
DE to Ocean City Inlet. I have a transient slip reserved but I'm curious

as
to the protocol for coming in and figuring our where to go. (I have
navigational instructions to get to the marina - OC Fishing Center)

Does one typically make radion contact first or is there some sort of
generic transient dock to figure that out. i've only ever docked on lakes
before at self service tie-ups, ramps etc.

thanks

-trevor

Call the dock master on the radio first, using channel 16 or the other
channel they monitor. They will let you know how to proceed.

Wayne.B

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:17:44 -0400, "Trevor Miller"
wrote:
I'm doing my first ocean run (weather willing) Saturday morning from Lewes
DE to Ocean City Inlet. I have a transient slip reserved but I'm curious as
to the protocol for coming in and figuring our where to go. (I have
navigational instructions to get to the marina - OC Fishing Center)

Does one typically make radion contact first or is there some sort of
generic transient dock to figure that out. i've only ever docked on lakes
before at self service tie-ups, ramps etc.

====================================

Try on VHF channel 9 or 16 when you are in sight of the marina. If
they don't answer, look for the fuel dock or office and pull in close
enough to hail them.

DSK

Wayne.B wrote:
Try on VHF channel 9 or 16 when you are in sight of the marina. If
they don't answer, look for the fuel dock or office and pull in close
enough to hail them.

Sometimes they're on channel 13 or 9; but most marinas in the US seem to
monitor 16.

The USCG is also monitoring and will interrupt you if you start chatting
on Ch 16. They're a lot more touchy about this than they used to be.

Doug King

jim--

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:25:59 GMT, WaIIy wrote:

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 06:33:55 -0400, DSK wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
Try on VHF channel 9 or 16 when you are in sight of the marina. If
they don't answer, look for the fuel dock or office and pull in close
enough to hail them.

Sometimes they're on channel 13 or 9; but most marinas in the US seem to
monitor 16.

The USCG is also monitoring and will interrupt you if you start chatting
on Ch 16. They're a lot more touchy about this than they used to be.

Doug King

Channel 16 is ONLY for emergency and advisory calls on the Great Lakes.
No chitchat, no fishing stuff, no howdy-do's.

Marinas monitor channel 9 or 68.

Note that this is not regulatory in nature, but is a convention that

should be
honored. Channel 9 was probably secured for non-commercial use because

the
Great Lakes radio traffic was so intense on channel 16 that it jeopardized

the
reception of emergency communications.

Great Lakes? Use 9.

--
23' Grady White, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC

is located.
http://southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time

Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Jesus guys, he asked a simple question that was properly answered with the
first response. Stop making a mountain out of a molehill.

DSK

Gene Kearns wrote:
Channel 13 is not an appropriate channel in the US for hailing... it is set
aside for bridge-to-bridge navigational information and should be used at no
more than 1 watt.

There are a lot of places where Ch 13 is the harbor traffic channel. In
SC it is the hailing channel for bridges, and also some places in NC...
for example the Trent River bridge in New Bern.

The channel that people are listening on is the appropriate channel for
hailing.

DSK

Trevor Miller

Thanks for all the assist - I'm well versed in using radios in general (had
to once learn 99 10-x codes at a job awhile back) just this is my first time
coastal (after years of lakes) and wanted to try and get everything covered.

The area looks to be coming off an advisory for a good weeekend...here's to
a fun cruise and a tolerant harbor-master.

-trevor

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:12:53 -0400, "Gene Kearns"
wrote:

OR, if they respond with, "[our name] this is OC Fishing Center, over,"
you
should respond with, "OC Fishing Center, please switch to channel
[whatever]."
They might reply, "OC Fishing Center wilco." **

Change channels and resume the conversation.

.....Oops....

If it is left up to *you* to decide on the proper channel you may choose
from 9,
68, 69, 71, 72, 77, 78A..... personally, I'd go with 9.

Just as an aside, if you have voluntarily equipped your vessel with a
radio (or
are required by law to do so), you are then required by law to monitor
either
channel 16 or channel 9. If you are boating in northern New Jersey, New
York or
New England, I'd go with 9 because that is the channel for urgent marine
information in the 1st USCG district.... use 16 elsewhere.

Ditto, use of radar, if so equipped.

--
23' Grady White, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/
Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Trevor Miller

Thanks much - appreciate all the replies.

-trevor

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:36:40 -0400, "Trevor Miller"

wrote:

The area looks to be coming off an advisory for a good weeekend...here's
a fun cruise and a tolerant harbor-master.

ROFL.... you'll be fine.... he only has to be tolerant of those that
don't
care enough to ask!......

Have a great voyage... and experience!

--
23' Grady White, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/
Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://southharbourvillageinn.linksysnet.com Real Time
Pictures at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Keeping boat in a marina Dan J.S. General 2 July 22nd 04 01:20 AM
Lower Keys Marina Michael Fulton Cruising 0 May 30th 04 01:51 PM
Ignorant Dupes jlrogers ASA 109 August 11th 03 11:16 AM
Marina gas prices - how much are you paying this summer? Snafu General 22 August 3rd 03 03:52 AM
Marina fire destroys 25 boats near Orlando -v- General 1 July 27th 03 09:43 PM