Snafu

Default Marina gas prices - how much are you paying this summer?

I usually fill my trailer boat at the same place I fill the truck, and the
cost here in Vancouver, WA is about $1.50 - $1.60 per gallon. Last weekend,
I used a marina slip at Ilwaco, WA where there is just one fuel dock. The
price: $2.049 per gallon. Ashore, the price of gas in the Ilwaco / Long
Beach, WA area is about $1.80, but that includes road tax (WA has one of the
highest road taxes in the US) which the marina fuel dock presumably does not
include.

My brother-in-law was recently at Lake Shasta, CA. He says the gas price at
marinas there is about $3.00 per gallon!

How much are you paying at the dock? How does it compare to the price
ashore?

Just curious
Dan

Steve

You pay the highway tax on gasoline but not on diesel when you purchase it
at the marina..

The (off road) diesel is available to the marina from the distributor
because the refineries provide it with a purple die color so the highway
inspectors can tell if your using it on the road..

Also the purple diesel is high sulfer while that sold for use on the highway
is low sulfer. (so I'm told).

No such thing for gasoline.

I have heard that you can apply for a refund of the highway tax but have
never had that opportunity because my boats have always been diesel.

The marinas jack the price up for gasoline because of their low volume.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Jim Woodard

There is a gas station a block from the marina here that is 30 cents
a gallon less than at the marina...is it worth pulling the boat out
of the water and trailering it for that much?

Snafu wrote:

I usually fill my trailer boat at the same place I fill the truck, and the
cost here in Vancouver, WA is about $1.50 - $1.60 per gallon. Last weekend,
I used a marina slip at Ilwaco, WA where there is just one fuel dock. The
price: $2.049 per gallon. Ashore, the price of gas in the Ilwaco / Long
Beach, WA area is about $1.80, but that includes road tax (WA has one of the
highest road taxes in the US) which the marina fuel dock presumably does not
include.

My brother-in-law was recently at Lake Shasta, CA. He says the gas price at
marinas there is about $3.00 per gallon!

How much are you paying at the dock? How does it compare to the price
ashore?

Just curious
Dan

Snafu

"Jim Woodard" wrote in message
There is a gas station a block from the marina here that is 30 cents
a gallon less than at the marina...is it worth pulling the boat out
of the water and trailering it for that much?

Heck no! I wasn't really complaining (even though it might sound like it),
I was just curious if the higher cost is typical. Sounds like it is.

Thanks
Dan

Wayne.B

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:29:11 -0700, "Steve" wrote:
I have heard that you can apply for a refund of the highway tax but have
never had that opportunity because my boats have always been diesel.

The ability to get road tax refunds varies from state to state.
Connecticut cheerfully refunds at the end of the year if you have
receipts and fill out a form, NY does not unless you can prove you are
engaged in commercial fishing. (sport fisherman who sell an
occasional tuna need not apply). Prices at the dock for 89 octane
range from $1.90 to $2.15 in both states. Gas station prices are 30
to 40 cents less.

Harry Krause

Snafu wrote:
I usually fill my trailer boat at the same place I fill the truck, and the
cost here in Vancouver, WA is about $1.50 - $1.60 per gallon. Last weekend,
I used a marina slip at Ilwaco, WA where there is just one fuel dock. The
price: $2.049 per gallon. Ashore, the price of gas in the Ilwaco / Long
Beach, WA area is about $1.80, but that includes road tax (WA has one of the
highest road taxes in the US) which the marina fuel dock presumably does not
include.

My brother-in-law was recently at Lake Shasta, CA. He says the gas price at
marinas there is about $3.00 per gallon!

How much are you paying at the dock? How does it compare to the price
ashore?

Just curious
Dan

I paid about $1.70 a gallon for 110 gallons today in Deale, MD. That
included a cash discount.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Steve Lomax

Here in the UK we are lucky to find fuel at less than $7 per gallon for
unleaded, and we can't calim any tax back.(marine and heating deisel is
about half the price)
fuel is heavily taxed in the interests of 'green issues' in an attempt to
reduce greenhouse gasses. A typical day's boating in a 4.3l mercruiser is
about $100 in. I'm afraid you will get little sympathy from this side of the
pond for complaints on gas prices. Please don't take this the wrong way, I
would *love* to be able to get petrol at 23 pence a litre. -Hey, I'd even
bath in the stuff! Considerable numbers of people here now have even
resorted to buying large quantities of cooking oil to use as deisel in cars
and vans. Our roads now sometimes smell like a back street fish and chip
shop (you have to experience this to appriciate it!)
..
"Snafu" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
[...]

Butch Ammon

Everywhere I have ever been floating fuel prices are substantially higher
than shore prices.

Same here... Yesterday I filled up my boat at the local Exxon station on the
highway @ $1.44/gal. I avoid paying marina gas prices.

Butch Ammon
Jim Woodard

I was really asking a serious question because I have been thinking
about this very thing....the previous owner has 4 six-gallon gasoline
cans which I think he filled at that gas station and brought them home.
However, he also had 2 jet-skis with his boat, so maybe he used that
gas for his jet skis and not the boat....I'm not sure how I would
safely use a gasoline can to fill the boat without a huge transfer
tube....but 30 cents over a period of a year or two can add up if
you use the boat a lot.