Default Marina gas prices - how much are you paying this summer?

$2.05/gal. in CT

"Snafu" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
I usually fill my trailer boat at the same place I fill the truck, and the
cost here in Vancouver, WA is about $1.50 - $1.60 per gallon. Last

weekend,
I used a marina slip at Ilwaco, WA where there is just one fuel dock. The
price: $2.049 per gallon. Ashore, the price of gas in the Ilwaco / Long
Beach, WA area is about $1.80, but that includes road tax (WA has one of

the
highest road taxes in the US) which the marina fuel dock presumably does

not
include.

My brother-in-law was recently at Lake Shasta, CA. He says the gas price

at
marinas there is about $3.00 per gallon!

How much are you paying at the dock? How does it compare to the price
ashore?

Just curious
Dan

Gfretwell

.I'm not sure how I would
safely use a gasoline can to fill the boat without a huge transfer
tube...

You buy the "jerry cans" not a regular boat tank. Then use a huge funnel. The
one I have has a 12" bell. Keep the can, funnel and gas filler touching at all
times during the filling process to avoid static. I can fill the boat without
spilling a drop. They also sell wheeled tanks that hold a lot of gas but that
depends on you having a clear path to the boat and a truck to haul the tank.
I did see a cool trailer at one of our JetSki rental operations. It had a 300
gallon tank and a self contained 12v pump with a regular fuel hose/nozzle like
they have at a gas station. The battery was solar charged. I wonder what DOT
would think about that? This one was operating in stealth mode (no hazmat
placards).
Steve

I think refueling a gasoline boat from plastic or metal jerry cans is a
dangerous practice and some marinas may even prohibit it.

Any gasoline transfer is suppose to have an anti static grounding system.
Not to mention safeguards regarding smoking, open flames, etc.

I see people refueling at the marina and public dock all the time without
regard to these basic precautions.

If I see this going on, I try to leave that area.

At least when you fuel at a marina fuel dock or the gas station, up the
road, they have grounded nozzles and the other precautions.

Another good reason to go with diesel fuel..

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Harry Krause

Steve wrote:
I think refueling a gasoline boat from plastic or metal jerry cans is a
dangerous practice and some marinas may even prohibit it.

Any gasoline transfer is suppose to have an anti static grounding system.
Not to mention safeguards regarding smoking, open flames, etc.

I see people refueling at the marina and public dock all the time without
regard to these basic precautions.

If I see this going on, I try to leave that area.

At least when you fuel at a marina fuel dock or the gas station, up the
road, they have grounded nozzles and the other precautions.

Another good reason to go with diesel fuel..

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

There are some boaters who out of ignorance or carelessness carry a
quantity of plastic or metal jerry cans full of gasoline aboard, and
refill their main tank from those cans while underway. If they knew what
they were playing with, they might opt to install a larger main fuel
tank on their boat, or find a boat with a larger fuel tank.

Refilling a diesel tank from a jerry can is not the same kind of hazard
as playing around with gasoline.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Gfretwell

I see people refueling at the marina and public dock all the time without
regard to these basic precautions

Some of us don't have our boats within 10 miles of a marina. We need another
way to get fuel to the boat. Loading it up on the trailer and taking it up to
the shop-n-rob isn't an option either.
Certainly fueling from cans in a marina is frowned upon but the lack of body
count from the millions of boaters who fill from plastic cans in their back
yard seems to make this look more like a marketing or insurance decision.

Calif Bill

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
I see people refueling at the marina and public dock all the time without
regard to these basic precautions

Some of us don't have our boats within 10 miles of a marina. We need

another
way to get fuel to the boat. Loading it up on the trailer and taking it up

the shop-n-rob isn't an option either.
Certainly fueling from cans in a marina is frowned upon but the lack of

body
count from the millions of boaters who fill from plastic cans in their

back
yard seems to make this look more like a marketing or insurance decision.

Oh, must be very dangerous. Thousands of fires everyweekend from filling a
lawnmower from the plastic or metal gerry can.
Bill

Markku Stenborg ®

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:15:27 GMT, "Snafu"
wrote:

I usually fill my trailer boat at the same place I fill the truck, and the
cost here in Vancouver, WA is about $1.50 - $1.60 per gallon. Last weekend,
I used a marina slip at Ilwaco, WA where there is just one fuel dock. The
price: $2.049 per gallon. Ashore, the price of gas in the Ilwaco / Long
Beach, WA area is about $1.80, but that includes road tax (WA has one of the
highest road taxes in the US) which the marina fuel dock presumably does not
include.

My brother-in-law was recently at Lake Shasta, CA. He says the gas price at
marinas there is about $3.00 per gallon!

How much are you paying at the dock? How does it compare to the price
ashore?

I pay about 1.2x €, if my memory serves me correct. That is about 1.4 USD.

And the price is per _liter_, not gallon. That is about 5.2 $/gal to you
SI-challenged. Asohre, about 1.05-1.10 $.

--
Markku Stenborg

N60°08.554' E24°44.473'
Steve

The main hazard would be static electricity due to a the lack of a metal to
metal bonding.

There was a gas station fire in the Seattle area last month that was
attributed to this. Static discharge from the person to the vehicle after
or before the nozzle made contact.

All gasoline boats are required to have a bond wire between the fill
connection to the tank body and the boat bonding system. This is usually
accomplished via the bonding wire in (approved) fuel fill hoses.

That said, what is the use of having all these built in precautions if the
boater uses a can without a bonding system..

Fuel bonding may or may not be manditory in your area, but it's as good an
idea as "No Smoking or Open Flames".

Maybe the reason lawn mowers don't blow up is because the fellows filling
them are standing on the ground as it the lawn mower and completes the
gound circuit.

--
My opinion . FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Mke Graham

Here on Lake Hopatcong in Northern NJ I just paid $1.99 a gallon. This is
about $0.50 higher than at a land station, but it is not worth it to me to
lug gas to the boat in cans. Besides, it makes some kind of sense that fun
gas costs more that work gas... If I had the choice of going to work on free
gas vs. going boating at $1.99 a gallon I'll take boating every time, or at
least until the money runs out.

"FishFan" wrote in message
om...
"Snafu" wrote in message

[...]

Here in cental NJ I've seen $1.79 & $1.89 at marinas. On the road 89
octane (which is supposedly what your getting at most local marinas)
is about $1.45- $1.50.

My marina contract forbids refuleing from cans, but I see plenty of
people doing it, and I haven't seen a fire yet. At 40 - 50 cents a
gallon, if you're putting in 20 or 40 gallons it adds up. I usually
only do it if I know I'm leaving early on a long trip and can't get to
the gas dock during working hours.

FishFan