hmmm, I did make sure there was a report of my calling the sherriff.
I did consider some way to scasre the crap outa them, mousetraps in the
cockpit, a flash cam set to fire when they pull the hatchboards, a
siren, etc. However, I can just imagine a couple panicked stoned kids
tripping over the lifelines and falling into the water and drowning and
then having REAL problems.
My impression is that these are just local kids who do seem to be good
kids cuz they take care not to hurt anything. The are not old enough
to have formed a complete sense of someones personal property and I do
not desire to ruin their lives just because they are currently foolish.
They live right across the canal and I get the impression that its
like when I was a kid sneaking into the neighbors tool shed to smoke
cigs, stupid but I didnt turn out to be a criminal whereas if I had
been imprisoned for it I may have turned out bad.

Sam

Well, I don't know, it sure is a dilema. If you can't leave them a
note, or scare them, what can you do? Down here in Georgia if someone
breaks into your home you can shoot them all you want. Maybe if you're
sleeping on the boat, you can 'wing' them a little.?? Maybe you could
install a lock that's harder to open along with a hasp that's properly
installed so it can't be unscrewed?? Tell their parents?? It sounds
sort of suspicious that they would break into your boat just to smoke a
joint. Maybe they want to use the bed. Maybe it's not who you think it
is. I'd try the air horn. Sam

Jonathan Ganz

In article .com,
Sam wrote:
Well, I don't know, it sure is a dilema. If you can't leave them a
note, or scare them, what can you do? Down here in Georgia if someone
breaks into your home you can shoot them all you want. Maybe if you're
sleeping on the boat, you can 'wing' them a little.?? Maybe you could
install a lock that's harder to open along with a hasp that's properly
installed so it can't be unscrewed?? Tell their parents?? It sounds
sort of suspicious that they would break into your boat just to smoke a
joint. Maybe they want to use the bed. Maybe it's not who you think it
is. I'd try the air horn. Sam

Motion sensor tied to a loud horn. That should do it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Paul Schilter

Don,
Teach them little rascals what body bags are. Yeah that's it, make
cannon fodder out of em. :-(
Paul

Don White wrote:
PocoLoco wrote:

Wow! You don't want them to get in trouble for trespassing and smoking
pot.

Maybe their parents felt the same way. Let the little guys do whatever
the hell
they want.
Seems like your priorities are a little messed up here.

Yes...maybe you could use your influence to have them accepted into the
army John. A few tours in Iraq would straighten them out....don't you
think?

Don White

Paul Schilter wrote:
Don,
Teach them little rascals what body bags are. Yeah that's it, make
cannon fodder out of em. :-(
Paul

Sorry...I'm not qualified to do that. I'm not, nor have I ever been, a
military man. I was passing that duty off to a retired former army
officer who also has teaching experience with high school age youths.
Tim

Yeah..seems like its always somebody else's fault.

Tim

you could always put up a sign thanking them for their politeness, then
ask them to find a different boat or car to smoke in.

Charles T. Low

Also, if you do not report the problem and then they start a fire or
otherwise damage your boat (or other boats), I don't know what your
insurance would think.

I had a similar situation, and in retrospect wish I had reported it earlier,
because the kids started using other boats, too, got bolder, caused more
damage, and eventually got caught with a higher liablility on their hands.

Also, I leave my boat unlocked. That may be unwise in some areas, but nobody
around here steals the expensive boating stuff - just booze. So I was
"boarded" again over the winter, lost a few flashlights, no booze on board
anyway, and no one smashed in my door!

====

Charles T. Low
www.boatdocking.com

====

wrote in message
ups.com...
I went to my boat today to tie up for any surge from Katrina and found
for the second time that kids have been aboard smoking pot. They do
not steal anything or do any damage but they do leave butts and ashes.
This time one left a T-shirt which could be used to ID them if I was
really interested. The first time I think they got aboard by me
leaving the combo lock unlocked (you have to spin the tumblers and I
forget). This time I think they actually removed the hasp but
carefully replaced the screws when they left. Security at the dock is
minimal and would be difficult to enforce. I do not want to get them
in trouble for the pot smoking and do not really want to get them in
trouble for using my boat while doing no damage. However, they could
get hurt being stoned and stupid so I want them to never come back. I
left two notes for them telling to leave my boat but I do not think
they will see them because they do not turn on any lights. I'll
replace the lock and hasp tomorrow but wonder if anyone else has any
suggestions for a way to warn them without hurting them.