Rich

I tried this for 2 years.

The first year it seems to work great. The second year it was a
failure. Upon analysis, I believe that it worked the first year
because we did two long distance cruises for over 2 months of the
sailing season. The second year was just normal 2-4 days at a time
and a week's vacation.

ONE CAUTION: I did find that the pepper caused the bottom paint to be
very rough and slowed the boat probably 1/4+ knot. Application was
also very hard due to the thickened paint and the roller drag. IF I
were to try this again (which I won't) I would thin the paint and also
grind the pepper finer than it is in the container.

I also tried the pepper mixed with Desitin and smeared onthe prop and
shaft. Same results as for the bottom in the two years tested.

Rich

Jeff wrote:

"
From: John Rose Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 To:
Subject: Antifouling Boat Paints

A local fisherman's and yachtsman's practice in the Pacific NW
is to add cayenne pepper to anti-fouling paint, Keeps slime and other
stuff from fouling the bottom. Add about 1/2 cup per gal. of paint.
Mix right in with the paint before roller application to bottom of
boat. It really works according to those who have tried it, and also
boatyard employees. We recently did the bottom of a Santana 525 with
this method. We used Pettit Trinidad SR bottom paint.

Whenever I hear this I wonder why it isn't done by the paint makers,
who would certainly look for any competitive edge.

Are they afraid of lawsuits from people adding bottom paint to their
chili?

DSK

From: John Rose Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 To:
A local fisherman's and yachtsman's practice in the Pacific NW
is to add cayenne pepper to anti-fouling paint, Keeps slime and other
stuff from fouling the bottom.

Nope, adding cayenne pepper (or jalapeno, habanero, datil, etc etc) will
do absolutely zero to help bottom paint repel slime, weed, & barnacles.
The only thing it will do is make the bottom paint flake off.

Jeff wrote:
Whenever I hear this I wonder why it isn't done by the paint makers, who
would certainly look for any competitive edge.

Are they afraid of lawsuits from people adding bottom paint to their chili?

Probably, plus they'd have to do research to prove to the EPA that
pepper doesn't harm the environment.

One great thing about the internet, old wives tales can be recirculated
much faster.

DSK

Michael

This technique is in common use in the Eastern Caribbean. I first saw it
used in Panama in the 60's. Just think of pepper spray in your eyes....same
thing. Boats with it are far cleaner for far longer and no worms. Natives
mixed it with exterior housepaint and 1/2 lb. per gallon is about right.
U. of Arizona did a lot of research and holds a paint patent but they won't
market it for some OSHA related and liability reasons related to the
following. There is one availabe source of liquid concentrate
www.firebreath.com but I wouldn't use it without a full moon suit (Personal
Protective Equipment orPPE) and I don't know how it will mix with the other
paints or react to hull material. Don't recommend it just through it in for
your fund of general knowledge. It WILL blister skin, lungs, eyes in that
concentrated form. Yes it works. No question of that. But do you need it
up here in the North? Dunno. I just mix it in every time I bottom paint
with the following exception.

The best bottom paint I know of on the market today is

M.

"Mic" wrote in message
Something I found on a web page thought it might be of interest...has
anyone tried this?

"
From: John Rose Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 To:

A local fisherman's and yachtsman's practice in the Pacific NW
is to add cayenne pepper to anti-fouling paint, Keeps slime and other
stuff from fouling the bottom. Add about 1/2 cup per gal. of paint.
Mix right in with the paint before roller application to bottom of
boat. It really works according to those who have tried it, and also
boatyard employees. We recently did the bottom of a Santana 525 with
this method. We used Pettit Trinidad SR bottom paint.

John Rose
Tacoma, WA"

DSK

Michael wrote:
This technique is in common use in the Eastern Caribbean. I first saw it
used in Panama in the 60's. Just think of pepper spray in your eyes....same
thing. Boats with it are far cleaner for far longer and no worms.

And if you believe that, I have a really great deal for you on a bridge
for sale in New York.

DSK

Michael

And you spent how much time in the tropics? (Don't mind us folks...Doug and
I go way back and I really do respect his opinion) I'd venture to guess
with some polishing we could be the sailing version of Siskel and Ebert but
as my Uncle Olaf used to say . . . . "No tanks on your bridge by golly yah!"

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Michael wrote:
This technique is in common use in the Eastern Caribbean. I first saw it
used in Panama in the 60's. Just think of pepper spray in your

eyes....same
thing. Boats with it are far cleaner for far longer and no worms.

And if you believe that, I have a really great deal for you on a bridge
for sale in New York.

DSK

DSK

Michael wrote:
And you spent how much time in the tropics?

Compared to some, I live in the tropics.

The cayenne pepper anti-fouling is just an old wives tale. No doubt some
people do it and swear by it, some people also put beans in their ears.

About 25 years ago I participated in a test of different antifouling
paints at a sailing club in NC, wherein somebody insisted this would
work. The about 15 years ago, ditto at a marina near Savannah, two
different "cayenne mixes" were part of that panel. About 11 years ago at
a sailing club on the Chesapeake... and the beat goes on. It's really
the smart way to find out what particular brand & type anti-foul works
best in local waters.

Ceyenne pepper as an additive does zero to improve antifouling
properties. Maybe it only works if you stir in a little chickens blood....

DSK

JR Gilbreath

Hi Doug
I just noticed that you did or still do sail out of North Carolina.
I had a friend move up that way about 15 years ago and have lost touch
with him. I think he moved close to Elizabeth City but am not sure.
His name is Don Midgett and he raced a Martin 24. Just wondering if you
might have seen him on racecourse.
JR
DSK

JR Gilbreath wrote:
Hi Doug
I just noticed that you did or still do sail out of North Carolina. I
had a friend move up that way about 15 years ago and have lost touch
with him. I think he moved close to Elizabeth City but am not sure. His
name is Don Midgett and he raced a Martin 24. Just wondering if you
might have seen him on racecourse.

Hello JR
The boat is still in the Elizabeth City area, we saw it 1 1/2 years ago
when we went up through the Pasquotank River & Dismal Swamp Canal. There
aren't many Martin boats in the south east.

I don't know many sailors in the Elizabeth City area though, and have
not met your friend Don. Sorry I can't help.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King