Michael

This technique is in common use in the Eastern Caribbean. I first saw it
used in Panama in the 60's. Just think of pepper spray in your eyes....same
thing. Boats with it are far cleaner for far longer and no worms. Natives
mixed it with exterior housepaint and 1/2 lb. per gallon is about right.
U. of Arizona did a lot of research and holds a paint patent but they won't
market it for some OSHA related and liability reasons related to the
following. There is one availabe source of liquid concentrate
www.firebreath.com but I wouldn't use it without a full moon suit (Personal
Protective Equipment orPPE) and I don't know how it will mix with the other
paints or react to hull material. Don't recommend it just through it in for
your fund of general knowledge. It WILL blister skin, lungs, eyes in that
concentrated form. Yes it works. No question of that. But do you need it
up here in the North? Dunno. I just mix it in every time I bottom paint
with the following exception.

The best bottom paint I know of on the market today is

M.

"Mic" wrote in message
Something I found on a web page thought it might be of interest...has
anyone tried this?

"
From: John Rose Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 To:
Subject: Antifouling Boat Paints

A local fisherman's and yachtsman's practice in the Pacific NW
is to add cayenne pepper to anti-fouling paint, Keeps slime and other
stuff from fouling the bottom. Add about 1/2 cup per gal. of paint.
Mix right in with the paint before roller application to bottom of
boat. It really works according to those who have tried it, and also
boatyard employees. We recently did the bottom of a Santana 525 with
this method. We used Pettit Trinidad SR bottom paint.

John Rose
Tacoma, WA"