Michael

Savannah is not the tropics. 23 deg N to 23 deg. S. Not close, no brass
ring. Compared to some you wear parkas in the winter. Savannah is
'off-topic'

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Michael wrote:
And you spent how much time in the tropics?

Compared to some, I live in the tropics.

The cayenne pepper anti-fouling is just an old wives tale. No doubt some
people do it and swear by it, some people also put beans in their ears.

About 25 years ago I participated in a test of different antifouling
paints at a sailing club in NC, wherein somebody insisted this would
work. The about 15 years ago, ditto at a marina near Savannah, two
different "cayenne mixes" were part of that panel. About 11 years ago at
a sailing club on the Chesapeake... and the beat goes on. It's really
the smart way to find out what particular brand & type anti-foul works
best in local waters.

Ceyenne pepper as an additive does zero to improve antifouling
properties. Maybe it only works if you stir in a little chickens blood....

DSK

Some people just dont like the oysters they harvest from their bottoms
to be pre-flavored.

JG

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
news
Probably several tens of thousands of people of the past 50 years. I have
a friend that does it on his wooden boat and swears by it.

"Mic" wrote in message
Something I found on a web page thought it might be of interest...has
anyone tried this?

"
From: John Rose Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 To:
Subject: Antifouling Boat Paints

A local fisherman's and yachtsman's practice in the Pacific NW
is to add cayenne pepper to anti-fouling paint, Keeps slime and other
stuff from fouling the bottom. Add about 1/2 cup per gal. of paint.
Mix right in with the paint before roller application to bottom of
boat. It really works according to those who have tried it, and also
boatyard employees. We recently did the bottom of a Santana 525 with
this method. We used Pettit Trinidad SR bottom paint.

John Rose
Tacoma, WA"

Not sure how old this document is, but it's interesting...

http://www.bwi.org/images/basics.pdf

Earl Colby Pottinger

DSK :

Michael wrote:
And you spent how much time in the tropics?

Compared to some, I live in the tropics.

The cayenne pepper anti-fouling is just an old wives tale. No doubt some
people do it and swear by it, some people also put beans in their ears.

About 25 years ago I participated in a test of different antifouling
paints at a sailing club in NC, wherein somebody insisted this would
work. The about 15 years ago, ditto at a marina near Savannah, two
different "cayenne mixes" were part of that panel. About 11 years ago at
a sailing club on the Chesapeake... and the beat goes on. It's really
the smart way to find out what particular brand & type anti-foul works
best in local waters.

Ceyenne pepper as an additive does zero to improve antifouling
properties. Maybe it only works if you stir in a little chickens blood....

You know something funny. Nowhere in the above statements did you say that
you tested cayenne pepper vs other anti-fouling paints. You just state it
does not work. Did you really do a test with cayenne pepper and compare it
to other anti-fouling paints under the same conditions?

I don't know if the stuff works or not but as written above your statement is
on the same level of heysay as those who say it works.

Earl Colby Pottinger (a person who would love to know the
truth)

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
John Cairns

"Earl Colby Pottinger" wrote in message
DSK :

Michael wrote:
[...]

IIRC, or I just could be fulla ****, "Practical Sailor" made mention of the
cayenne pepper thing during one of their regular reviews of bottom paint. If
I can dig up the issue and find the quote, I'll post it up.

John Cairns

Earl Colby Pottinger

DSK :

The about 15 years ago, ditto at a marina near Savannah, two
different "cayenne mixes" were part of that panel.

Opps, did I miss read you? Does 'panel' refer to a test panel of paints or a
panel of people discussing paints?

If paints, did the test panel also compare to the same paints without the
pepper?

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
the time? http://webhome.idirect.com/~earlcp
DSK

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:
You know something funny. Nowhere in the above statements did you say that
you tested cayenne pepper vs other anti-fouling paints. You just state it
does not work. Did you really do a test with cayenne pepper and compare it
to other anti-fouling paints under the same conditions?

Yes.

Did you miss this part?

DSK wrote