Roger Long

Default Another Lake Erie questions

I notice a lot of "Submerged Net Stakes" along my proposed route. Are these
cut off any standard distance below the water or do you have to navigate
around each one?

Also any recommendations on a good marina at the western end of the Erie
Canal where a boat could be prepared for transit and left for 2 - 3 weeks
would be appreciated.

--

Roger Long

Lew Hodgett

"Roger Long" writes:

I notice a lot of "Submerged Net Stakes" along my proposed route. Are

these
cut off any standard distance below the water or do you have to navigate
around each one?

Why bother screwing around on the canadian Side?

Also any recommendations on a good marina at the western end of the Erie
Canal where a boat could be prepared for transit and left for 2 - 3 weeks
would be appreciated.

Where?

Monroe, Mi; Toledo; Port Clinton; Sandusky.

Questions, questions.

I forgot, what are starting and finishing points for this delivery?

Lew

--

Roger Long

Roger Long

I'm picking up the boat in Gibraltar north of Monroe as early in the spring
as feasible and then sailing it to Buffalo where I will have to leave it
until school gets out. I'm going to try and sign up some friends
experienced enough to sail straight through. I was thinking of staying
close to the Canadian side to reduce the wave fetch of northerly winds and
avoid mid lake traffic at night. If these stakes are less than 5 feet below
the surface, I'll head right down to the middle and take my chances. If the
winds are west instead of NNW, I would probably do the same thing anyway.

It was the *eastern* end of the lake, western end of the *canal* where I'm
looking for a marina. I'll need to leave the boat unattended for a bit
while I go back to Maine to take care of some things at home.

When school gets out, I'll start the Erie Canal leg which may be pretty
leisurely as members of our families (all in upstate New York) come and go.
After the Hudson River leg, I'll be back in the kind of waters I'm used to.

Ending point for this odyssey will be Cape Elizabeth, Maine just outside of
Portland. Why such a long trip? I may not be used to fresh water sailing
but I know that it is very kind to metal. It's like buying a car from
Florida, no salt.

Just in case I have more time, I'd be interested to know of any "must see"
ports on the lake.

--

Roger Long

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Roger Long" writes:

I notice a lot of "Submerged Net Stakes" along my proposed route. Are

these
cut off any standard distance below the water or do you have to navigate
around each one?

Why bother screwing around on the canadian Side?

Also any recommendations on a good marina at the western end of the Erie
Canal where a boat could be prepared for transit and left for 2 - 3 weeks
would be appreciated.

Where?

Monroe, Mi; Toledo; Port Clinton; Sandusky.

Questions, questions.

I forgot, what are starting and finishing points for this delivery?

Lew

--

Roger Long

Lew Hodgett

"Roger Long" writes:
I'm picking up the boat in Gibraltar north of Monroe as early in the

spring
as feasible and then sailing it to Buffalo where I will have to leave it
until school gets out.

You owe it to yourself to make a stop at Put-In-Bay on South Bass Island.

The bow of Herny Ford's flagship was hoisted up the bluff on the west side
of the island and converted into a summer home.

Lydia, the gal who sparked that project, was/is quite a gal. Haven't seen
her in a long time.

The Perry monument is there (worth the visit) as well as a joint with a 700
ft bar.

That's not a typo, it is a 700 ft bar.

Trust me, PIB knows how to party.

Personally, I follow the South shore, about 10-15 miles out. You will get
clean winds if they exist and will be out of the ore boat lanes which are
right in the middle of the link. (45 magnetic heading gets the job done, if
I remember)

Why not plan on making a few stops on the South shore, you will enjoy them.

Consider Vermillion (maritime museum), Cleveland (Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
is right on the lake), Fairport (great fish fry on Friday night), & Erie,
Pa, for example.

Also a couple of neat places in NY state, but I've been gone to long to
remember them.

Have you considered going thru the Welland, then up L Ontario and the St
Lawrence out to the Atlantic, then a student body right down to Maine?

At least you get to see the Thousland Islands.

A motor trip across the Erie Canal is rather bland in comparision.

Have to check with a guy whose been there lately to warn you about a place
to avoid when it comes time to unstep should you go the Erie canal route.

HTH

Lew

"Roger Long" writes:

I notice a lot of "Submerged Net Stakes" along my proposed route. Are

these
cut off any standard distance below the water or do you have to

navigate
around each one?

Why bother screwing around on the canadian Side?

Also any recommendations on a good marina at the western end of the

Erie
Canal where a boat could be prepared for transit and left for 2 - 3

weeks
would be appreciated.

Where?

Monroe, Mi; Toledo; Port Clinton; Sandusky.

Questions, questions.

I forgot, what are starting and finishing points for this delivery?

Lew

--

Roger Long

Roger Long

Have you considered going thru the Welland, then up L Ontario and the St
Lawrence out to the Atlantic, then a student body right down to Maine?

At least you get to see the Thousland Islands.

A motor trip across the Erie Canal is rather bland in comparision.

Wow, that's a suggestion to get the mind racing. I just checked it out
though, it's 1735 miles, 89% more than the ambitious 916 I'm already
committed to. The canal will also involve our families a lot.

It looks like I'll be glad to have the name of that place to avoid on the
canal when you think of it. I will try to work out having more time on the
lake though. I was brought up in northern Ohio about 13 miles from the lake
so it will be sort of like going home again.

What's a "student body"?

--

Roger Long

Lew Hodgett

"Roger Long" writes:

Wow, that's a suggestion to get the mind racing. I just checked it out
though, it's 1735 miles, 89% more than the ambitious 916 I'm already
committed to. The canal will also involve our families a lot.

Screw the mileage, it would be a GREAT trip.

Leave 6/1 get to the Welland at Colbourne s/p in 2 weeks (includes weather
lay days)

That will give you enough time to do a little L Erie exploring.

After all, it's only 250 miles from one end of that bath tub to the other.

Based on 50 mile days, that gives you 9 days to screw around. (Trust me, you
will use every one of them)

2 days to get thru the canal and get organized.

Leave the "Falls" area by 7/15, arrive the Atlantic by 9/1.

Allow a couple of weeks down the Atlantic to home port.

That could be the trip of a lifetime.

I was brought up in northern Ohio about 13 miles from the lake
so it will be sort of like going home again.

Where?

What's a "student body"?

The group that attends a school, any school.

Lew

Roger Long

Keep talking.

I'm actually convinced but reality rears its ugly head. Most observers think
I've already lost my mind anyway. My wife and I, who fell in love sailing
and cruising and then gave it up when we had kids, are buying this boat to
see if we can get our almost teenage sons interested in cruising and
sailing. We want to break them in easily and we are already in what many
consider one of the most beautiful cruising areas in the world.

My wife won't be able to take anywhere near enough time to do any
significant portion of this trip and doesn't want the kids gone for long
stretches. I work for myself (designing and consulting on commercial boats)
but have to be prepared for projects popping up that I can't turn down. In
order to get a fresh water boat of the type we want, I'm taking on a trip
already about 20 times as long as I should rationally consider.

This boat should really be going on a truck. Just a day sail from here is
country you wouldn't believe if you haven't seen it. One of the things I
always loved about sailing was making a ship work, covering the ground, and
getting into the rhythm of watches and life going on round the clock. It's
going to be a bit frustrating having a vessel out on the mooring capable of
going around Newfoundland or to Bermuda and doing mostly weekend and
daysails. This trip will let me get a lot of the passage stuff out of my
system before settling down to family sailing.

It's going to be too bad to go blasting past so many interesting places but
the alternative probably is a truck. That still is a distinct possibility if
clients I can't turn down are pressing to give me money. If I had the time
anyway and did the truck thing, we could pretty thoroughly explore the
southern coast of Nova Scotia in the same time frame. It's about 30 hours
across the Gulf of Maine to the other side, a good first time passage for
kids with the excitement of a foreign country coming up over the horizon.

The trip I really want to make is around Newfoundland.

(I still want to know what you mean by "doing a student body". That's a
sailing term I never heard.)

--

Roger Long

Ryk

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 03:25:52 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Have you considered going thru the Welland, then up L Ontario and the St
Lawrence out to the Atlantic, then a student body right down to Maine?

At least you get to see the Thousland Islands.

A motor trip across the Erie Canal is rather bland in comparision.

Wow, that's a suggestion to get the mind racing. I just checked it out
though, it's 1735 miles, 89% more than the ambitious 916 I'm already
committed to. The canal will also involve our families a lot.

Consider the option of doing the Welland and entering the canal via
Oswego, towards the eastern end of Lake Ontario. That makes a side
trip into the Thousand Islands a relatively small diversion, and well
worth the effort.

Ryk

Lew Hodgett

"Roger Long" writes:

Keep talking.

snip

Why not consider a 2-3 week trip to get across L Erie, thru the Welland and
over to Toronto.

(Going thru the Welland is a long day and you need some crew)

Leave the boat in Toronto for a couple of weeks then take another 2-3 week
shot up L Ontario & the St Lawrence.

Again return home for a couple of weeks, then back to the boat for another
2-3 week trip.

That should put you in the Atlantic where you do a student body right and
head home.

"Student body right" is not a sailing term, it's an old college football
term which simply means every body turns right.

The commute between home and the boat keeps getting shorter and shorterG.

I'm actually convinced but reality rears its ugly head.

Reality and sailing have no relation to one another G.

This boat should really be going on a truck.

There is that reality thing getting in the way againG

This trip will let me get a lot of the passage stuff out of my
system before settling down to family sailing.

Yep.

The trip I really want to make is around Newfoundland.

Well!

Lew

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:27:59 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

When school gets out, I'll start the Erie Canal leg which may be pretty
leisurely as members of our families (all in upstate New York) come and go.
After the Hudson River leg, I'll be back in the kind of waters I'm used to.

Ending point for this odyssey will be Cape Elizabeth, Maine just outside of
Portland.

On your last day, don' t neglect to toast the "Commodore, Vice
Commodore, Race Committee Chairman, Youth program director, all the
past flag officers, and all the captains of the Boone Island Yacht
Club--May they ever prosper." or something to that effect.

As you come abeam of the island, of course. :-) and using a good
microbrew, no mass-produced ****.
'
Also, we toast Col John Newton and his crew that blew up Flood Rock in
1880 as we transit Hell Gate in NYC, a passage made much safer by one
spectacular explosion. For that toast we use a good domestic bubbly
(Gruet works) or real Champagne (Billecart Salmon works very well
indeed.

By following these rituals we have passed both Boone Island and Hell
Gate countless times without hitting anything.

I hope all goes well with your trip.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas