Roger Long

I'm picking up the boat in Gibraltar north of Monroe as early in the spring
as feasible and then sailing it to Buffalo where I will have to leave it
until school gets out. I'm going to try and sign up some friends
experienced enough to sail straight through. I was thinking of staying
close to the Canadian side to reduce the wave fetch of northerly winds and
avoid mid lake traffic at night. If these stakes are less than 5 feet below
the surface, I'll head right down to the middle and take my chances. If the
winds are west instead of NNW, I would probably do the same thing anyway.

It was the *eastern* end of the lake, western end of the *canal* where I'm
looking for a marina. I'll need to leave the boat unattended for a bit
while I go back to Maine to take care of some things at home.

When school gets out, I'll start the Erie Canal leg which may be pretty
leisurely as members of our families (all in upstate New York) come and go.
After the Hudson River leg, I'll be back in the kind of waters I'm used to.

Ending point for this odyssey will be Cape Elizabeth, Maine just outside of
Portland. Why such a long trip? I may not be used to fresh water sailing
but I know that it is very kind to metal. It's like buying a car from
Florida, no salt.

Just in case I have more time, I'd be interested to know of any "must see"
ports on the lake.

--

Roger Long

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Roger Long" writes:

I notice a lot of "Submerged Net Stakes" along my proposed route. Are

these
cut off any standard distance below the water or do you have to navigate
around each one?

Why bother screwing around on the canadian Side?

Also any recommendations on a good marina at the western end of the Erie
Canal where a boat could be prepared for transit and left for 2 - 3 weeks
would be appreciated.

Where?

Monroe, Mi; Toledo; Port Clinton; Sandusky.

Questions, questions.

I forgot, what are starting and finishing points for this delivery?

Lew

--

Roger Long