Wayne.B

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:46:27 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:
First flat sand with 1300 or 2000 grit wet and dry to get a FLAT
surface; then, .... Rottenstone and water for gloss, rottenstone and
oil for semi-gloss, pumice and and oil for satin.

When you are hand rubbing, do you use a soft cloth, sponge, or some
other material?

For a 'perfection'
surface final coat with an airbrush. The modern acrylic/urethanes can
be power buffed (with super fine diotomaceous earth etc. as the 'grit')
to make this whole hand-rub process very fast.

If you ever have the opportunity to look at the wood trim in top of the
line type of private jets or mega yachts or even automobiles.... all
the finishes are hand rubbed to a super brilliant surface. A benefit
of a flat hand-rubbed surface is longevity. The only finish that is
more brilliant than a hand rub on varnish is a 'french-polish' using
alcohol and shellac .... but that is NOT for any wet locations.

Rich Hampel

In article , Wayne.B

When you are hand rubbing, do you use a soft cloth, sponge, or some
other material?

Use a soft cloth. I just use a clean bare hand.
Doug Dotson

Are you saying that what is left of my hear is really blonde? Wow!
I feel better. Funny though, my hair was blonde before it went blonde

Doug

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:45:14 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
said:

I've never seen teak go 'blonde'. All I have seen have gone
to gray.

When you get a bit older you'll appreciate the euphemism g.

Yes it goes grey.

Keith

One of my favorite sayings... "Teak doesn't age gracefully, it ages
immediately".

I just replaced 88 deck bungs in my nice grey teak deck yesterday. I guess
I'm getting good at it, did the whole job in about 3 hours. Have to chisel
off all the little bungs today. Woo hoo.

--

Keith
__
"Doug Dotson" wrote in message
I've never seen teak go 'blonde'. All I have seen have gone
to gray.

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 06:01:25 GMT, remove the * (Norm)
said:

What is everyone doing with their outside teak trim? Comments would
be great.

I bought my boat to sail, not to varnish. I'd vote for letting it go
blond.
(Of course the only exterior teak on my boat is the hatch boards.)

Phil

Keith,
What do you glue them in with?

Eisboch

Has anyone any experience with this teal deck alternative?

http://www.flexiteek.no/

I've seen it installed on the deck of a Hatteras Motoryacht, and after 3
years it looks new. Other than washing with boat soap it is maintenance
free.

I am planning on having it installed in the all too white fiberglass
cockpit area of my boat this winter.

Eisboch
Doug Dotson

I checked it out when researching alternatives for my deck project.
The cost for the Flexiteak alone was over $11,000. Not too much different
than actual teak. I decided to paint it instead.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Eisboch" wrote in message
Has anyone any experience with this teal deck alternative?

http://www.flexiteek.no/

I've seen it installed on the deck of a Hatteras Motoryacht, and after 3
years it looks new. Other than washing with boat soap it is maintenance
free.

I am planning on having it installed in the all too white fiberglass
cockpit area of my boat this winter.

Eisboch

Eisboch

Doug Dotson wrote:

I checked it out when researching alternatives for my deck project.
The cost for the Flexiteak alone was over $11,000. Not too much different
than actual teak. I decided to paint it instead.

Doug
s/v Callista

Yeah, I was told the Flexiteek was about 35 percent less than real teak,
but I didn't get a quote on real teak so I don't know for sure.

I love the look and feel of teak, but really don't enjoy the
maintenance. Hopefully the Flexiteek will be a happy compromise.

Eisboch
Doug Dotson

I love the look and feel of teak as well. But it does have the
disadvantage of being really hot both to walk on and the heat
it absorbs into the cabin. The difference of a painted white
deck is dramatic.

Doug
s/v Callista