Calif Bill

Default Teak Surfing... doesn't anyone read the papers anymore???

4th of July at Oroville, 2 guys were teak surfing with no PFD's. They went
by us while we were tied up to the shore, or I would have asked the 20
somethings to wear a PFD, so we could find their bodies easier.
Bill

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
m...
I went on a rant in a local forum about an accident that was discussed
in the Sacramento Bee last month. I bitched in rec.boats too. The
story has now been recycled by the San Francisco Chronicle.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...8/MN128646.DTL

I feel terribly sorry for this family. They didn't deserve to have
their child die. But it was stupid from the get go. Read the rather
long Chron article. Catch some of the lawyer coached quotes. The
owner of the boat that Anthony Farr died "teak surfing" behind said he
HONESTLY thought this was the SAFEST thing he could do with his boat.
The kid's dad probably made the most truthful confession when he said
he felt "stupid".

This has been getting a lot of news attention - at least in
California. I assume this stupid activity, "teak surfing," is going on
all over.

This was posted in a local forum. I'll break my own rules about
posting entire articles, but I don't know what paper this was in - or
if it is even true...

LAKE DON PEDRO -- Two boaters were injured Sunday afternoon from
carbon-monoxide poisoning after "teak surfing" from the back of a
moving ski boat, the Tuolumne County Sheriff's Department reported.

Tuolumne County boat-patrol personnel were at the Fleming Marina when
a boat arrived bearing an injured 16-year-old girl, with two off-duty,
out-of-county paramedics trying to resuscitate her. While she was
being treated, a 12-year-old boy fell ill and had to be treated.

Both victims were transported by ambulance to Sonora Community
Hospital, where they were treated and released.

The 20-year-old ski-boat driver was cited for reckless operation, no
personal-flotation device for the 12-year-old and no registration
aboard the vehicle.

Teak surfing, where boaters attempt to body surf by hanging onto the
back of moving boat, has resulted in recent deaths and injuries in
California and is illegal.