Default I spent all afternoon on a stupid NMEA 0183 adapter cable . . .

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 06:59:51 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:47:41 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 13:59:53 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

But, as Wayne suggested, if you reverse the diode's connection they
should, if originally installed backward, allow current flow. If not
than (1) there is something else wrong, or (2) the diode is faulty.

I wish you'd shut up as you're obviously stupid.

On a two-wire DC circuit there is a positive
wire and a negative wire. If there is a diode
on the positive wire and it's installed backwards
then any positive current *sees* no circuit.

If one were to hook the negative wire to the
positive wire, current might flow but the
radio wouldn't know what to do with it. It
might even damage the radio. You and Wayne
are so stupid you seem to think an NMEA
circuit is like a light bulb in that it
works either way. Duh!

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Or are you just stupid?

If you connect a diode in series with a DC circuit, in either the
positive or the negative leg, current will flow through the diode if
it is connected correctly. If current does not flow then reverse the
connections to the diode. No one was talking about connecting the
positive leg to the negative leg of the circuit.

That's not what Wayne said. He said, and I quote, "I suspect that if
you had reversed the two wires that it would have worked fine."

Reversing the *two wires* means connecting negative to positive.

And you agreed with that little bit of folly.

Actually, a very slightly competent electrician would simply take his
handy dandy multi meter and check the resistance of the diode and
reverse the meter leads and check the resistance again which would
tell him whether the diode was connected properly, or not. It would
also tell him whether the diode was serviceable, or not.

Not necessary as there is a black line painted on the body
of the diode which black line indicates the end of the diode
that electricity will not pass. The symbol for a diode
is a triangle with a line, sorta like this | but with a
horizontal line through it and a vertical leg on the
triangle. The schematic vertical line represents the
actual black line that tells one by eye how the current flows
and how it does not. I didn't need to check it with an ohm
meter because of this marking. I just looked at it and knew
it was backwards.

Since you can't seem to handle this technical task all by your self
certainly does tell us something about your electrical knowledge.

For somebody who can't even read with comprehension and who has
assumed erroneously what Wayne typed meant to reverse the diode
connection, you have no room to talk.

--
Sir Gregory

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:47:41 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

They probably put the diode in the circuit
in the first place to keep stupid people
from hooking the wires up wrong and you
and Wayne say go ahead and hook up the
wires wrong and it'll probably work.

ROFLMAO!!! Now I see why you had to abort
your circumnavigation less than halfway
around.

===

For what it's worth I have about 5 NMEA connections on the boat and
they all work, most of them on the first try. My latest is a NMEA to
USB connection thanks to a nice little interface device:

www.amazon.com/Digital-Yacht-NMEA-Adapter-PC/dp/B004FBKS7K

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 20:53:00 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

That's not what Wayne said. He said, and I quote, "I suspect that if
you had reversed the two wires that it would have worked fine."

Reversing the *two wires* means connecting negative to positive.

===

It's important to understand that there is no ground reference
implicit with the NMEA 183 interface standard, unlike a battery
connection. Therefore reversing the two wires is a perfectly valid
approach which probably would have solved your problem.

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, your ignorance seems to be showing again. Most diodes have two
connections, sometimes labeled Cathode and Anode, and sometimes marked
"+" and "-". To "Reverse the connecting to the diode one would connect
the wire originally connected to the Cathode to the Anode and
vise-versa.

Now, even a nephrite electrician would be able to figure that out so
apparently your electrical knowledge is extremely limited, or you are
just trying to be an asshole.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
===

For what it's worth I have about 5 NMEA connections on the boat and
they all work, most of them on the first try. My latest is a NMEA to
USB connection thanks to a nice little interface device:

www.amazon.com/Digital-Yacht-NMEA-Adapter-PC/dp/B004FBKS7K

FWIW, my current GPS is also a digital yacht, 105, no longer made, referred
for me by Raymarine a year ago as none of their current GPS are only NMEA,
and would require an adapter to make work with my gear.

Problem I'm having is data not getting to the MFD when either the computer
is off, or the serial port is disconnected.

Currently waiting for a response from Raymarine as to what might be
suggested by my wire setup...

Congratulations on getting yours working.

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 14:15:10 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
===

For what it's worth I have about 5 NMEA connections on the boat and
they all work, most of them on the first try. My latest is a NMEA to
USB connection thanks to a nice little interface device:

www.amazon.com/Digital-Yacht-NMEA-Adapter-PC/dp/B004FBKS7K

FWIW, my current GPS is also a digital yacht, 105, no longer made, referred
for me by Raymarine a year ago as none of their current GPS are only NMEA,
and would require an adapter to make work with my gear.

Problem I'm having is data not getting to the MFD when either the computer
is off, or the serial port is disconnected.

Currently waiting for a response from Raymarine as to what might be
suggested by my wire setup...

Congratulations on getting yours working.

I read where the NMEA 0183 protocol supports up to five
listeners for each talker. That tells me one could split
the two wires on the GPS NMEA into five talker(+) and
five talker(-) and connect them to five different devices
or listeners as they are sometimes called.

One faulty listener shouldn't affect the four others that
aren't faulty.

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

[...]

It's not my ignorance that's on display but rather your lack of
reading comprehension. You jumped to the conclusion that Wayne
said to reverse the diode when he said to reverse the WIRES from
the GPS to the VHF. Now, you're trying to weasel your way out
of being caught being stupid. Sorry, but nobody's buying it, dude.

Now, even a nephrite electrician would be able to figure that out so
apparently your electrical knowledge is extremely limited, or you are
just trying to be an asshole.

You are the one giving asshole lessons. Wayne's newest claim that
NMEA 0183 doesn't differentiate between positive and negative only
shows a great deal of naivety. He seems to think there's only some
kind of loop where it doesn't matter if the current runs one way
or the other. How droll! He's got DC mixed up with AC apparently.

--
Sir Gregory

wrote:

That's not what Wayne said. He said, and I quote, "I suspect that if
you had reversed the two wires that it would have worked fine."

Reversing the *two wires* means connecting negative to positive.

===

It's important to understand that there is no ground reference
implicit with the NMEA 183 interface standard, unlike a battery
connection. Therefore reversing the two wires is a perfectly valid
approach which probably would have solved your problem.

OMG! You are stupid. Here's a clue: The ONLY reason direct
current works is when it is able to complete a circuit from
the positive terminal of the 12V battery to the negative
terminal of the battery. NMEA is but an extension of the
mother board circuit in any VHF or GPS. It must be able
to complete a circuit from positive to negative. Attempting
to run a loop and expecting electricity to flow when there
is no means to ground is stupid and that's what you seem to
be suggesting. NMEA is more than just wires. It's a circuit
board where electricity is only allowed to flow in one
direction. It will not work both ways. Sheesh!

--
Sir Gregory

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 16:16:47 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

OMG! You are stupid. Here's a clue: The ONLY reason direct
current works is when it is able to complete a circuit from
the positive terminal of the 12V battery to the negative
terminal of the battery. NMEA is but an extension of the
mother board circuit in any VHF or GPS. It must be able
to complete a circuit from positive to negative.

===

Stupid is as stupid does. NMEA 183 does not require a ground
reference, just two legs of a circuit. As I understand it, it is
sometimes coupled using opto isolators to prevent an
accidental/unwanted ground reference.

I would direct you to the following sentence found he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183

"Although the standard calls for isolated inputs and outputs, there
are various series of hardware that do not adhere to this
requirement."

wrote:

OMG! You are stupid. Here's a clue: The ONLY reason direct
current works is when it is able to complete a circuit from
the positive terminal of the 12V battery to the negative
terminal of the battery. NMEA is but an extension of the
mother board circuit in any VHF or GPS. It must be able
to complete a circuit from positive to negative.

===

Stupid is as stupid does. NMEA 183 does not require a ground
reference, just two legs of a circuit. As I understand it, it is
sometimes coupled using opto isolators to prevent an
accidental/unwanted ground reference.

So you have a LED and a photo receptor of some sort. Big
deal. Neither of them will work unless grounded. Nor will
the two NMEA wires work unless one of them is positive and
one of them is negative.

I would direct you to the following sentence found he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183

"Although the standard calls for isolated inputs and outputs, there
are various series of hardware that do not adhere to this
requirement."

From the same article: "The NMEA 0183 standard uses a simple ASCII,
serial communications protocol..."

Serial port circuits don't work without a positive and a negative
wire or pin.

Just like NMEA circuits don't work without a positive and
negative wire. No circuit - no current can flow.

--
Sir Gregory

I spent all afternoon on a stupid NMEA 0183 adapter cable . . . Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_2_] General 6 August 26th 14 02:39 PM
Maretron SSC200 - NMEA 2000® / NMEA 0183 Solid State Compass b393capt Electronics 0 January 10th 07 03:04 PM
Seatalk to NMEA 0183 Rob Electronics 4 May 4th 04 09:51 AM
10,554+ NMEA-0183 Sentences Bob Carter Electronics 0 April 9th 04 07:44 PM