Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_2_] Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_2_] is offline

Default I spent all afternoon on a stupid NMEA 0183 adapter cable . . .

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 06:59:51 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:47:41 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 13:59:53 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

But, as Wayne suggested, if you reverse the diode's connection they
should, if originally installed backward, allow current flow. If not
than (1) there is something else wrong, or (2) the diode is faulty.

I wish you'd shut up as you're obviously stupid.

On a two-wire DC circuit there is a positive
wire and a negative wire. If there is a diode
on the positive wire and it's installed backwards
then any positive current *sees* no circuit.

If one were to hook the negative wire to the
positive wire, current might flow but the
radio wouldn't know what to do with it. It
might even damage the radio. You and Wayne
are so stupid you seem to think an NMEA
circuit is like a light bulb in that it
works either way. Duh!

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Or are you just stupid?

If you connect a diode in series with a DC circuit, in either the
positive or the negative leg, current will flow through the diode if
it is connected correctly. If current does not flow then reverse the
connections to the diode. No one was talking about connecting the
positive leg to the negative leg of the circuit.

That's not what Wayne said. He said, and I quote, "I suspect that if
you had reversed the two wires that it would have worked fine."

Reversing the *two wires* means connecting negative to positive.

And you agreed with that little bit of folly.

Actually, a very slightly competent electrician would simply take his
handy dandy multi meter and check the resistance of the diode and
reverse the meter leads and check the resistance again which would
tell him whether the diode was connected properly, or not. It would
also tell him whether the diode was serviceable, or not.

Not necessary as there is a black line painted on the body
of the diode which black line indicates the end of the diode
that electricity will not pass. The symbol for a diode
is a triangle with a line, sorta like this | but with a
horizontal line through it and a vertical leg on the
triangle. The schematic vertical line represents the
actual black line that tells one by eye how the current flows
and how it does not. I didn't need to check it with an ohm
meter because of this marking. I just looked at it and knew
it was backwards.

Since you can't seem to handle this technical task all by your self
certainly does tell us something about your electrical knowledge.

For somebody who can't even read with comprehension and who has
assumed erroneously what Wayne typed meant to reverse the diode
connection, you have no room to talk.

--
Sir Gregory