posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats

Default I spent all afternoon on a stupid NMEA 0183 adapter cable . . .

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 12:03:21 -0500, Califbill
wrote this crap:

Racist. I notice the Mexicans working at the fast food dispensaries can
make change and count better than the products of our union school
teachers.

Too bad the teachers are paid more.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe

I read where the NMEA 0183 protocol supports up to five
listeners for each talker. That tells me one could split
the two wires on the GPS NMEA into five talker(+) and
five talker(-) and connect them to five different devices
or listeners as they are sometimes called.

One faulty listener shouldn't affect the four others that
aren't faulty.

--
Sir Gregory

The only talker I have (I'm pretty sure) is the GPS.

It comes through on a single pair, which is then tied to the plotter in/out,
VHF, SSB, autopilot, and computer.

Thus I infer that it should be able to handle it. Indeed, oddly, while it
does manage all 5, with the serial port disconnected (or the computer off),
it won't talk to the plotter.

I'm suspicious of one of the three legs of the RS232 going only to one of
the legs of the autopilot; perhaps without that reference, the autopilot
doesn't feed back into the NMEA or Seatalk system, killing the reference for
the plotter.

More work to do on that, yet...

Don't want to hijack the thread. More later in a new thread.

L8R

Skip

--

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
- Dr. Samuel Johnson

posted to rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa,alt.usenet.kooks

Neal Warren socked up as "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote in
news
With all the crap he has on his boat it
must be a full-time job keeping them operating.

Put down teh shemale prOn, Craptain Kneel!

I spent all afternoon on a stupid NMEA 0183 adapter cable . . . Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_2_] General 6 August 26th 14 02:39 PM
Maretron SSC200 - NMEA 2000® / NMEA 0183 Solid State Compass b393capt Electronics 0 January 10th 07 03:04 PM
Seatalk to NMEA 0183 Rob Electronics 4 May 4th 04 09:51 AM
10,554+ NMEA-0183 Sentences Bob Carter Electronics 0 April 9th 04 07:44 PM