Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_2_] Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.[_2_] is offline

Default I spent all afternoon on a stupid NMEA 0183 adapter cable . . .

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 22:02:44 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 20:53:00 -0400, "Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

That's not what Wayne said. He said, and I quote, "I suspect that if
you had reversed the two wires that it would have worked fine."

Reversing the *two wires* means connecting negative to positive.

===

It's important to understand that there is no ground reference
implicit with the NMEA 183 interface standard, unlike a battery
connection. Therefore reversing the two wires is a perfectly valid
approach which probably would have solved your problem.

OMG! You are stupid. Here's a clue: The ONLY reason direct
current works is when it is able to complete a circuit from
the positive terminal of the 12V battery to the negative
terminal of the battery. NMEA is but an extension of the
mother board circuit in any VHF or GPS. It must be able
to complete a circuit from positive to negative. Attempting
to run a loop and expecting electricity to flow when there
is no means to ground is stupid and that's what you seem to
be suggesting. NMEA is more than just wires. It's a circuit
board where electricity is only allowed to flow in one
direction. It will not work both ways. Sheesh!

--
Sir Gregory