Default Cruising Web Sites?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:17:48 -0500, injipoint
wrote:

I use cruisersforum, ssca (member) and activecaptain.
I've used noonsite from time to time to access a particular blog from a
long term cruiser
I've corresponded with for many years. Speaking of which, I finally met
up with Roger yesterday
in Elizabeth City after crossing paths in Reedsville and then
Deltaville and finally on the Dismal Swamp.

We've crossed the Albemarle this morning and are sitting quietly in the
Alligator River Marina waiting to see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully,
we can get through the bridge and up into the river proper. Where are
you currently?

===

We've been back home in SWFL for about a month. No cruising planned
for a while but hopefully we'll get over to the Exumas late
winter/early spring.

How was the Dismal Swamp? I've always wanted to try that. What kind
of minimum depths were you seeing?

Are you talking about Roger from Maine? Let me know if you or Roger
are going to be near SWFL and we'll figure out how to meet up
somewhere. Is he the same Roger running the Q & A site?

There's a good anchorage at the south end of the Alligator River just
before the canal, and another good anchorage at the western end.
Check on activecaptain.com for details.

Keep moving south ASAP. It starts getting cold in the Carolinas this
time of year. Don't ask how I know. :-)

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:20:28 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
Most serious cruisers have migrated off of newsgroups and onto
moderated web based forums. That is regrettable in my opinion but
you can't fight city hall. That said, let's start a thread here
listing some of the better cruising web sites.

snipped repeat of hyperlinks

Thanks for the effort, perhaps some people might find them of value, but
not me . . .

====

Well of course not.

How is your battle with FFWC coming along? I'm sure we're all
interested in progress reports on that.

wrote:

[...]

Good depths i.e. about 6 min in some places but way more in the middle
in most. Locks were good.

Are you talking about Roger from Maine? Let me know if you or Roger
are going to be near SWFL and we'll figure out how to meet up
somewhere.

I think Roger is only going as far as Georgia this year. He runs a
section on sailboatowners dot com which I subscribe to. Peggy Hall has
a column on there also. Check it for his Dismal Swamp updates over the
past couple of days for a good idea of what it's like. He's going to
put in a bit about the Feeder Lake that he visited.
We'll be in SE Florida, not SW depending on how you define SW. We will
be visiting a friend in Sarasota at some stage and also visiting a
former Commander of mine who's now an Admiral in Central Command. (I
like to pretend I helped in his elevation). Then Bahamas in January.

Is he the same Roger running the Q& A site?
Don't think so.

There's a good anchorage at the south end of the Alligator River just
before the canal, and another good anchorage at the western end.
Check on activecaptain.com for details.

Will do - I only just started using activecaptain

Keep moving south ASAP. It starts getting cold in the Carolinas this
time of year. Don't ask how I know. :-)

No need to tell us. We're from sunny South West Australia and getting
whacked by stuff that you guys think is "normal" is not pleasant for us.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:20:28 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
Most serious cruisers have migrated off of newsgroups and onto
moderated web based forums. That is regrettable in my opinion but
you can't fight city hall. That said, let's start a thread here
listing some of the better cruising web sites.

snipped repeat of hyperlinks

Thanks for the effort, perhaps some people might find them of value,
but
not me . . .

====

Well of course not.

How is your battle with FFWC coming along? I'm sure we're all
interested in progress reports on that.

The trial is set for Dec 2nd. I shall appraise the group as to the
results of the litigation. Depending upon the demeanor of the State (if
they appear overly arrogant) I plan to ask for a dismissal *with
prejudice* as a means of thwarting future abuse of the statutes against
boaters by the State.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Hi, Wayne, and list,

I, too, lament the web-based movement, moderated or not, of information
exchange between cruisers (and, for that matter, any other subject which
used to be the bailiwick of NNTP groups like this and bulletin boards before
them), if for no other reason that I can't subscribe to them, as well as the
bandwidth issues which face TRUE cruisers.

The Cruiser_network_online is a subscription mailing list, and I'm on it
(and several others, Morgan, liveaboard and others for example), hooray, but
is for honest-to-God cruisers. Many of them utilize Pactor to get their
mail and post/respond from far-flung corners of the world, with the "don't
include this text when replying" bandwidth notification, so, for example, I
don't post my logs there (regulars here know that they're long)...

The forums I go to only when I either specifically am looking for something
or have something to say to a larger audience, due to their difficulty in
access and the time it takes to wade through the possibilities compared to
this group, for example, or my subscriptions, which land in my mailbox and
can be reviewed offline, and, for that matter, replied to offline, to go up
on the next connection (those being the other major dissatisfactions by
comparisons to the forums). I am also a member of SSCA, and so have access
to their forums.

Regrettably, I find that, with very few exceptions, where there is a
specific section for either logs or blogs, these forums are part social
media, in that they aren't really interested in anything other than
chatter-depth discussions. If there is a means of subscription to these
which I've missed (other than the notification of a response to a thread
I've been involved in, either by origination or by contribution), I'd love
to hear about it, for the reasons shown above. That said, I know of NO such
forum which will allow off-line composition and placement into an outbox for
later mailing, but at least I'd be able to see what I MIGHT want to take the
time to go to the forum to investigate.

Here's the ones I use, from time to time:

http://www.anything-sailing.com/foru...g-Else-Sailing

http://www.anything-sailing.com/foru...nd-Life-Aboard

http://www.anything-sailing.com/foru...ons-amp-Routes

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/ - life aquatic aboard a boat

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/ - atlantic and carib

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/ - general sailing

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/ - engines

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f71/ - logs

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-interest-forums/

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...iling-related/

http://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/viewforum.php?f=2 - pub

http://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/viewforum.php?f=3 - sailing and cruising

http://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/viewforum.php?f=80 - blogs

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/index.php

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...splay.php?f=18 - ask all sailors

As I cribbed this from a prior search, not listed is Lats and Atts' very
good board, sailnet (long live their prior mailing lists in our memory) and
perhaps a few others I've forgotten...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.
Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other
people's thinking.
Don't let the noise of others' opinion drown out your own inner voice;
and most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.
They somehow already know what you truly want to become.
Everything else is secondary".
- Steve Jobs

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:39:14 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

The trial is set for Dec 2nd. I shall appraise the group as to the
results of the litigation.

Apprise. Misspelling gets a pass, but not word misuse.
Sailors should talk good.

--Vic

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 09:03:13 -0500, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

[...]

========

Impressive list Skip, thanks.

Are we any closer to hearing splashing noises from the direction of Ft
Pierce?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

Impressive list Skip, thanks.

Are we any closer to hearing splashing noises from the direction of Ft
Pierce?

Yes, but still no end date.

We're expecting some time in Janury. We will be taking 2-3 weeks to make
the trek north again at yet another baby's birth (this time it's my
daughter's) and to allow Lydia to finally catch up with my kids, the last
several years' having been so her-kid centric that she didn't take any time
to visit with them when we came ashore - and is now regretting it, so that
will make our departure a bit less speedy than we might have otherwise
wished, but also making us very grateful to have been stateside for all
that's happened while we've been on the ground.

The final fairing is coming along very nicely, if slowly. We've found
another helper who is very skilled at what he does, having worked for a
boatbuilder for several years here in FTP, and we've turned that part over
to him while we do other things. ETD on that is a couple of weeks or so,
after which we'll put on copious barrier coat, followed by bottom paint.

In the meantime, we have a new 73# Rocna anchor on the way (I'll have a
for-sale on my 75# CQR knockoff here shortly, once I get the pictures up and
my spiel written), which will involve some modification (extra parts, and
better end result, to boot) of our newly brilliant anchor roller system, due
to the roll bar on the Rocna otherwise impacting our cage, plus running
backstays for the staysail which never had any, this week.

I'm also sourcing, thence to install, the various other things (like a new
VHF antenna for the arch, hardware for the new cockpit table, 3/8
teak-and-holly to replace the forward-head-area cutouts due to rot [forward
shower leak remediation in the galleries], casting of new chocks, and a few
other things) which need to be done before we leave :{))

L8R

Skip and crew

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a
clear night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you
are quite alone on a wide, wide sea, it is apt to occur to you that in the
general scheme of things you are merely an insignificant speck on the
surface of the ocean; and are not nearly so important or as self-sufficient
as you thought you were. Which is an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one
that may effect a permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly
appreciated by your friends."- James S. Pitkin

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bil Bil is offline

On Nov 24, 6:19*am, "Flying Pig" wrote:

In the meantime, we have a new 73# Rocna anchor on the way (I'll have a
for-sale on my 75# CQR knockoff here shortly, once I get the pictures up and

I'm hoping you saw the recall notice on some Rocna anchors.

The issue - as I understood it - was that a manufacturer used a cheap
steel in some Rocnas, to the point that their strength was
compromised. I think ownership of the brand has changed hands. So you
may need to check who made your Rocna and when.

Cheers

Bil

On 23/11/2011 3:53 PM, Bil wrote:
On Nov 24, 6:19 am, "Flying wrote:

In the meantime, we have a new 73# Rocna anchor on the way (I'll have a
for-sale on my 75# CQR knockoff here shortly, once I get the pictures up and

I'm hoping you saw the recall notice on some Rocna anchors.

The issue - as I understood it - was that a manufacturer used a cheap
steel in some Rocnas, to the point that their strength was
compromised. I think ownership of the brand has changed hands. So you
may need to check who made your Rocna and when.

Cheers

Bil

I don't think the change of ownership made any difference. Now
Canadian but I think they were in deception mode, too. Chinese
crap steel - owners tried to pretend it happened behind their backs
but it seems not. I would assume it's been stopped by now?

Cruising Web Sites? Wayne.B General 22 January 18th 12 01:22 AM
Volvo penta web sites Doug V. Cruising 2 September 12th 04 11:58 AM
Too many paddling web sites... joempie General 2 July 29th 04 12:04 PM
Too many paddling web sites joempie Whitewater 0 July 26th 04 07:02 PM
Too many paddling web sites joempie UK Paddle 0 July 26th 04 06:58 PM