posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Cruising Web Sites?

Hi, Wayne, and list,

I, too, lament the web-based movement, moderated or not, of information
exchange between cruisers (and, for that matter, any other subject which
used to be the bailiwick of NNTP groups like this and bulletin boards before
them), if for no other reason that I can't subscribe to them, as well as the
bandwidth issues which face TRUE cruisers.

The Cruiser_network_online is a subscription mailing list, and I'm on it
(and several others, Morgan, liveaboard and others for example), hooray, but
is for honest-to-God cruisers. Many of them utilize Pactor to get their
mail and post/respond from far-flung corners of the world, with the "don't
include this text when replying" bandwidth notification, so, for example, I
don't post my logs there (regulars here know that they're long)...

The forums I go to only when I either specifically am looking for something
or have something to say to a larger audience, due to their difficulty in
access and the time it takes to wade through the possibilities compared to
this group, for example, or my subscriptions, which land in my mailbox and
can be reviewed offline, and, for that matter, replied to offline, to go up
on the next connection (those being the other major dissatisfactions by
comparisons to the forums). I am also a member of SSCA, and so have access
to their forums.

Regrettably, I find that, with very few exceptions, where there is a
specific section for either logs or blogs, these forums are part social
media, in that they aren't really interested in anything other than
chatter-depth discussions. If there is a means of subscription to these
which I've missed (other than the notification of a response to a thread
I've been involved in, either by origination or by contribution), I'd love
to hear about it, for the reasons shown above. That said, I know of NO such
forum which will allow off-line composition and placement into an outbox for
later mailing, but at least I'd be able to see what I MIGHT want to take the
time to go to the forum to investigate.

Here's the ones I use, from time to time:

http://www.anything-sailing.com/foru...g-Else-Sailing

http://www.anything-sailing.com/foru...nd-Life-Aboard

http://www.anything-sailing.com/foru...ons-amp-Routes

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/ - life aquatic aboard a boat

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/ - atlantic and carib

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/ - general sailing

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/ - engines

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f71/ - logs

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-interest-forums/

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...iling-related/

http://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/viewforum.php?f=2 - pub

http://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/viewforum.php?f=3 - sailing and cruising

http://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/viewforum.php?f=80 - blogs

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/index.php

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...splay.php?f=18 - ask all sailors

As I cribbed this from a prior search, not listed is Lats and Atts' very
good board, sailnet (long live their prior mailing lists in our memory) and
perhaps a few others I've forgotten...

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.
Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other
people's thinking.
Don't let the noise of others' opinion drown out your own inner voice;
and most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.
They somehow already know what you truly want to become.
Everything else is secondary".
- Steve Jobs