Default PING Larry

Are you in North Carolina or South Carolina?

Anywhere near Crosby's Fish and Shrimp Co? - I just happen to be
looking at it on Anthony Bourdain.

Anyways, that's a side issue.

The US Consulate just gave us 5 year visas and we're within 4 weeks of
leaving for Florida. Will probably be up in your neck of the woods by
about June.

I think I'll lose newsgroup access when I cut off the landline here
unless I can find out how to do it on the road.

Can you email me with how to find you? (z's off)

Hoges in WA

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:24:23 +0800, Hoges in WA
wrote:

I think I'll lose newsgroup access when I cut off the landline here
unless I can find out how to do it on the road.

There are several ways that you can get internet access on your boat.
One is a so called "air card" which connects you via the cell phone
network.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=verizon+air+card

I have one which connects to a USB port. They have another one
called the MIFi 2200 which creates a mini WiFi hotspot on your boat.

We are of the opinion that Verizon has the best network on the east
coast.

There are also high powered, long range WiFi adapters which can
connect to open hotspots up to several miles away, sometimes more.
I have this one and like it a lot:

http://www.islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html

wrote:

I think I'll lose newsgroup access when I cut off the landline here
unless I can find out how to do it on the road.

There are several ways that you can get internet access on your boat.
One is a so called "air card" which connects you via the cell phone
network.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=verizon+air+card

I have one which connects to a USB port. They have another one
called the MIFi 2200 which creates a mini WiFi hotspot on your boat.

We are of the opinion that Verizon has the best network on the east
coast.

There are also high powered, long range WiFi adapters which can
connect to open hotspots up to several miles away, sometimes more.
I have this one and like it a lot:

http://www.islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html

Thanks Wayne.
I appreciate the tip.

(the learning curve starts w-a-y down here...)

Hoges in WA (soon to be Hoges in Fla!!)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:26:29 +0800, Hoges in WA
wrote:

Hoges in WA (soon to be Hoges in Fla!!)

The weather in Fla is a *lot* better than the weather in WA, although
WA certainly has some great scenery. Let me know if you get to the Ft
Myers area in SWFL.

Are you sailing all the way around through Panama?

wrote:

Hoges in WA (soon to be Hoges in Fla!!)

The weather in Fla is a *lot* better than the weather in WA, although
WA certainly has some great scenery. Let me know if you get to the Ft
Myers area in SWFL.

LOL! I think you're mixing up weather and climate. The heaviest
rain I ever got drenched by was during a thunderstorm in Tampa Bay.
Then there's those weather systems with names!

At least in Washington, the rain only comes down at inch-per-day
rates, not inch-per hour rates. (of course, it may rain for
5 to 10 days straight.)

I have a few neighbors who moved here from Seattle. None of them are
in a hurry to go back. I'd certainly like the opportunity to do some
serious cruising out there however. We spent several days in the San
Juan Islands two years followed by some time in Alaska, all very
impressive.

wrote:

Hoges in WA (soon to be Hoges in Fla!!)

The weather in Fla is a *lot* better than the weather in WA, although
WA certainly has some great scenery. Let me know if you get to the Ft
Myers area in SWFL.

Are you sailing all the way around through Panama?

Wayne -
I'm in Western Australia, not Washington state. Just a tad further away.
Flying in to LA, getting a camper van and driving across to around Miami
/ Ft Lauderdale / Jacksonville surrounds to find a boat.
I'll go and look up Ft Myers on Google Earth now.
Hoges in WA

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 06:48:00 +0800, Hoges in WA
wrote:

I'm in Western Australia, not Washington state. Just a tad further away.
Flying in to LA, getting a camper van and driving across to around Miami
/ Ft Lauderdale / Jacksonville surrounds to find a boat.
I'll go and look up Ft Myers on Google Earth now.
Hoges in WA

Heh, I should have remembered that, a bit farther away indeed. Ft
Lauderdale and Miami are the used boat centers of the universe.
Jacksonville, not so much.

wrote:

I'm in Western Australia, not Washington state. Just a tad further away.
Flying in to LA, getting a camper van and driving across to around Miami
/ Ft Lauderdale / Jacksonville surrounds to find a boat.
I'll go and look up Ft Myers on Google Earth now.
Hoges in WA

Heh, I should have remembered that, a bit farther away indeed. Ft
Lauderdale and Miami are the used boat centers of the universe.
Jacksonville, not so much.

Thanks - that 'll save some time.
Got to go to Tampa to see a former boss of mine who's just been made up
to RADM.
I've been working on the insurance apps today - not easy when you are
not in the country.
Hoges inWA

Ping Larry Garland Gray Cruising 0 April 26th 09 11:04 PM
Ping Larry (yet again) Herodotus Cruising 1 May 30th 08 06:28 AM
PING Larry: Way OT Red Cruising 4 September 19th 07 08:43 PM
Ping ... Larry Don White Cruising 2 May 8th 07 07:18 PM
Ping: Larry Vic Smith Cruising 2 April 12th 07 12:01 PM