Hoges in WA Hoges in WA is offline

Default PING Larry

On 16/02/2011 10:04 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:24:23 +0800, Hoges in WA
wrote:

I think I'll lose newsgroup access when I cut off the landline here
unless I can find out how to do it on the road.

There are several ways that you can get internet access on your boat.
One is a so called "air card" which connects you via the cell phone
network.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=verizon+air+card

I have one which connects to a USB port. They have another one
called the MIFi 2200 which creates a mini WiFi hotspot on your boat.

We are of the opinion that Verizon has the best network on the east
coast.

There are also high powered, long range WiFi adapters which can
connect to open hotspots up to several miles away, sometimes more.
I have this one and like it a lot:

http://www.islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html

Thanks Wayne.
I appreciate the tip.

(the learning curve starts w-a-y down here...)

Hoges in WA (soon to be Hoges in Fla!!)