Default Ping Larry (yet again)

Hi Larry,

I need some advice on 12 volt circuit breakers.

I am redesigning my switchboard as the one I had made when I launched
Herodotus 15 years ago is getting too small to add the extra switches
and fuses I want. There is nothing worse than having to replace a fuse
and not knowing where, even though you wired it yourself.

Question: I am of the understanding that one should have a breaker
that is at least double the proposed load in the combined circuits
that it protects. E.g port cabin lights.

Is this correct or is there a rule of thumb that applies?

regards
Peter

On 2008-05-28 07:48:18 -0400, Herodotus said:

Question: I am of the understanding that one should have a breaker
that is at least double the proposed load in the combined circuits
that it protects. E.g port cabin lights.

Is this correct or is there a rule of thumb that applies?

My guideline is to protect the wiring so size for somewhat less than
that (approximate) length of wire (both legs) with that gauge for a 2%
or so drop in voltage. That's pretty conservative. ABYC allows 10%.

--
Jere Lull