BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cannibal (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/122566-cannibal.html)

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:31 PM

Cannibal

"Bruce" wrote in message
snip

And, as usual you are toe dancing all around the subject.. You are the
one who stated, in your intrepid way that oars should fit inside the
boat... When I objected saying that wasn't the main criteria in
selecting oars you argued. Now you are saying that you don't need 12
foot oars to row a 8 ft. boat.... Probably not but the main criteria,
that the oars need to, as I said, reach the water, still hasn't
changed.

In other words, one selects ones oars to fit one's physical shape,
fitness and the size, mainly the width, of the boat. If they should
fit inside the boat then lucky you but it is rather unworldly to say
it is logical to saw off a perfectly good set of oars just to fit them
inside the boat.

Let it go. You LOST when I posted the expert on the subject, that
world-renowned cruising sailor Eric Hiscock.

If the oars won't fit into the length of the dinghy they are too long for
the job. It just doesn't get any simpler than that.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:41 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip
I've seen boats that have these elbow-shaped tubes on the back that
have like a cradle/pulley system for dinghies. I guess you have to tie
them off so they don't bang around, but at least you aren't towing
them.

They're called davits. And, they are not really called for on a smaller
sailboat. They are quite heavy and bulky for one (not to mention ugly) and
they cause the stern to squat which isn't a good thing.

The stainless steel tubing I constructed and installed is lightweight and
strong. It has the added advantage of being quick-pinned to the fastener
points so it can be raised up along the backstay if one so desires. My
little, 50-pound, fiberglass dinghy is easy enough to lift up and lay,
upside-down atop the carrier with gunwale right up against the backstay
where it can be safely lashed down.

The extra sixty pounds or so near the transom has little noticable effect on
the trim of the hull. These fools who advocate putting the dinghy
upside-down on deck don't understand how in-the-way the thing always is.
They just saw photos in magazines or heard tell of stowing the dinghy on
deck and it becomes a case of monkey-see, monkey-do. It's the same thing
with the rows of plastic fuel jugs along the twoXsix along the lifelines.
Monkey-see, monkey-do. Nothing uglifies a cruising boat as ugly blue or red
plastic jerry cans jury-rigged to the lifelines. Makes me want to puke every
time I see it.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:43 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

I don't think Capt. Wil said that was the only criteria for an oar.

Bingo! But good luck trying to get THAT to sink through his thick skull.

At this stage he's in the defensive mode because he knows he lost when I
quoted Hiscock and you quoted Wikipedia.

We make such an unbeatable team. . .

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:52 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:50:25 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq."
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
. ..
trimmed

Oh.. whew.. I thought you thought I was thinking he was the reasonable
one.

I did at first . . .

I get all confused any time I run into an intelligent woman who actually
makes sense. It happens so rarely these days. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Hey so wait... are you Wil or are you Greg? Totally confused unless
you have a spoofer? The header info is different. I hate spoofers.

Sorry, Jessica, I forgot to switch accounts. I have an octanews account for
Wilbur and an Altopia account for Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.. Sir Gregory is the
troll-killer. He has the heavy artillery for beating up the sociopaths on
some of the Usenet's worst groups such as alt.usenet.kooks. Sir Gregory can
get away with more harsh and abusive language because Altopia is for free
speech. Octanews better suits Wilbur who is a kinder gentler iteration of
Sir Gregory which are both theater of the mind iterations of Captain Neal -
my real original identity. I used to have an Eternal September account when
they were Motzarella but the BananaBoi booted me (Wesley Mouch of Atlas
Shrugged infamy) for not agreeing with his politics.

Confused? LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:55 PM

Cannibal

"Bruce" wrote in message

wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
trimmed

Oh.. whew.. I thought you thought I was thinking he was the reasonable
one.

I did at first . . .

I get all confused any time I run into an intelligent woman who actually
makes sense. It happens so rarely these days. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Hey so wait... are you Wil or are you Greg? Totally confused unless
you have a spoofer? The header info is different. I hate spoofers.

Don't think a thing about it. Willie-boy is actually a figure of
someone's imagination. He is/or has been known as:

Wilbur Hubbard
Gregory Hall
Gwen Ives
Cecil Warren
Capt.Neal
Simple Simon
Ellen MacArthur
Ed Gordon873
Gloria/Wesley Mouch
Aratzio
Atlas Bugged
Jamie Baille
Lumpy
Karen Anderson
GitRDunn
Phat_Arse
Jeff Relf
Blondie
Capt. Moroon
Capt. America
Cap'n Crunch
Marcia
Lawrence Stone
Key WestWym
Capt. Key West
Lonnie Anderson
Margaret
Jax Ashby,

and likely more, at various times.

A literary genius, for sure . . . A regular Phil Hendrie wannabe. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:57 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

They should at least grandfather it. That's what happens with building
codes. You really can't expect people to update their house built in
1965 to 2011 standards.

It's just government run amok IMHO!

Right on, beautiful!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:58 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:07:41 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:13:57 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
m...
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:16:57 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

CFRs require it for all people needing dock acess for thier job. But
since you dont sail your license you reall have no use for either a
TWIC or that master license (sutible for framing and display) Hang on
to that purdy license.

The latest CFRs actually go farther than that. They say that without
a TWIC card your Masters ticket or OUPV are no longer valid.

There will be lawsuits. The government sold you something you paid good
money for and invested good time for that gave you certain rights and
privileges and now they say it's no longer valid.

That is fraud in anybody's book.

I'm no lawyer, but it's changing the rules after the fact. That's
bogus.

You're so lovable!

Wilbur Hubbard

You're really making a habit out that kind of comment!! I can live
with it.

LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:59 PM

Cannibal

"Bruce" wrote in message
trimmed some repeat

You keep harping on being stuck at the Bangkok Docks (which don't
exist) when I have never kept a boat in Bangkok simply reinforces your
reputation as a fool.

Your claims of "sailing" seem to be best illustrated by your recent
photographs showing your boat anchored "in the bay", I believe you
wrote.

Just another Sunday Sailor who undertook a hazardous voyage around the
bay and decided to add to the adventure by actually anchoring out for
a night. An intrepid sailor, indeed.

Jealousy is so unbecoming of you, Bruce. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 09:06 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:56:11 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

Sometimes I'm guilty of a little irony with some of the pretend sailors
but,
for the most part, I try to be honest about my opinions.

There's nothing wrong with a little irony.. they probably don't get it
though...

Didn't take you too long to figure them out. :-)))))))

snip

NO! It's even more bizarre.. probably TMI, but I actually used to play
with sacks of potatoes.. it was like my favorite thing when we went to
my uncle's place (sort of gentleman farmer with 15 acres).

Doesn't sound so crazy to me. Funny thing, I grew up on a 15 acre farm and
we grew potatoes, among other things. But, I never got the urge to use them
as toys. What did you do with the sacks of potatoes? Make little forts and
houses out of them?

Totally blushing with that one.......... don't mind dirt, as long as I
can wash it off at some point.

See, that's special - for a girl.

If you can believe it I wanted to be a princess when I was like 5.
Strange but true.

I wanted to be an astronaut. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard

Justin C[_39_] February 2nd 11 11:02 PM

Cannibal

In article , Jessica B wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:14:27 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

The very best way, however, when cruising is to just say no to clothes. If
you don't wear them then they don't get soiled. But, you still have to wash
sheets, towels, etc.

Well, minimal clothes... lol

It might be OK for the tropics...

Justin.