BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cannibal (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/122566-cannibal.html)

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 07:17 PM

Cannibal

"Bruce" wrote in message
trim

Why don't YOU learn how to trim, Bruce?

As I previously posted, you demonstrate your ignorance of the Real
Cruising lifestyle yet again. the Real Cruiser, i.e., one who actually
makes cruises, rather then an aborted "voyage" around the harbour -
assuming that the wind isn't blowing too strong and nor to lightly -
by necessity requires more then your "minimal clothing".

Cruising is cruising. It is not defined by length of passage or time at
anchor. I think you are confusing cruising with voyaging. Probably because
you aren't intimately familiar with either. LOL!

Say a "cruise" from Singapore to Japan and onward through the
Aleutians, Alaska and onward, ultimately to Mexico and then through
the Canal to the Caribbean, north to Canada and so finally to England
and eventually returned to Asia.

Sounds like a voyage to me. . . Voyaging is going from a to b to c to d,
etc. Cruising is more often going from a to b to a, etc.

A Cruise made by a personal friend with his 36 ft. steel hull sloop,
over the past few years.

That's a voyage, PUTZ!

So Willie-boy, all your so called Sailorman experience is somewhat
lacking in both scope, and distance.

Says the ladyboy expert whose idea of "around the world" is some
sordid,transgendered sexcapade. LOL! Everybody knows why you remain in
Thailand, d00d!

And for what periods have you lived the "sailing life"? Was it last
Sunday when you planned the "cruise' around the bay.... and aborted
because the wind wasn't blowing the correct velocity for your
tastes.... I wonder what you'd do if you made a real voyage and hit a
period of little wind when half way from Langkawi to Kochi, say, as
another friend did a year ago?

Finally, you said it right. "A real voyage." Hey, I never claimed to be a
voyager as I've always said that crap is boring beyond belief and an
undesirable way to sail. The challenge of sailing is not isolation thousands
of miles from civilization but, rather, sailing along the fringes of
civililzation taking and leaving it as is one's heartfelt desire. It's not
being controlled and harassed by foreign bureaucrats and their dumb
restrictions, graft and corruption.

Again you exhibit your minimal experience in actually cruising, as
apposed to reading magazines. In the last 15 years I have rarely
anchored in a harbout where there were more then two or three boats
and never... let me repeat that NEVER .... anchored anywhere that I
could even hear a generator.

I don't read the 'tales of inept woe' magazines any more. I've had my fill
of them since they regularly portray sailing as some bumbleing cluster****
as the norm. Take Joe, for example. His tale of ineptitude and woe is
exactly the thing one would see in the sailing magazines. And, NEVER would
there be one word about WHY the ineptitude caused the entire embarrassing
and unnecessary scenario.

Ah Willie-boy, perhaps if you would get out into the world you'd
discover what a sailing life style is all about as apposed to your
overheated imagination.

If I have an overheated imagination lately it's probably because of
JessicaB. That girl is about as perfect as any I've run across in decades.
She has little or no trouble seeing you pretenders for what you are. That
alone makes her highly discriminating and ultimately desirable. If only I
were about 25-30 years younger I'd have to seriously pursue her.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 07:25 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

At least he's probably not having an affair because he wouldn't be
sleeping
in his clothes. LOL!

Not a chance... believe me. Well, I guess there must be one other
woman out there who likes balding, over-weight...

Ouch. I'm bald. :-( Not overweight, though. :-)

Or, run away!!!

Ummm... I ran track.. :-D

There is no refuge from your PMS then. :-) You can run but you can't hide.

snip

Sounds pretty strong to me. Your arms in the bikini picture didn't look
muscle bound or anything. But, it looked like you had some pretty nice
"pecs". LOL!

Jeeez... Just remember that was from a while ago. I'm toned but
definitely not muscle bound. I go to the gym a few times a week after
work or early evening.. typically Mon/Wed/Fri, and I ride on Sat
mornings.

Do you have a riding partner? If not you should find one who is about the
same level as you are, perhaps a little faster. It's much more fun and you
get in shape faster and better with a training partner. Riding by myself I
get lazy and don't go if the conditions are a little inclement. But, when
I'm expected to show up then it's more motivation.

You must get a few storms in your area... the Keys I guess?

About five years ago we got five tropical storms and hurricanes in a
freaking row one summer and fall. It was a real painal in the anal. But,
since then, we've been lucky because there have been none since. We're due.
Definitely due. Yes, the Florida Keys. A wonderful place for sailing.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 07:37 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:15:04 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
. ..
snip

Also when camping. Put the clothes in a 5 gal bucket, add water, some
detergent, and stomp for a while. Works fine. It's not like I'd be
bringing chiffon dress or something (well maybe for a shore
excursion).

Or evening daquairis at the raw bar.

Raw bar? Like oysters?

Right, but, around here, they have all kinds of good un-raw seafood, too. I
don't do raw oysters. Yuck!

snip

Ok.. well, I was concerned about conserving water... you must have to
either carry it to the boat or pull in somewhere, so I can imagine it
would be at a premium. But... regular soap doesn't work really well in
salt water, and I'm not sure I'd use detergent.

Yes, I have to jug it all out in the dinghy. That's why I conserve it as
much as I can.

Many shampoos are just perfumed detergent, I think. I know some body washes
are detergent for sure. I like Old Spice High Endurance body wash and the
ingredients list various forms of sodium sulfate. I thing that's another
word for detergent. I'm sure it is because it also foams up in salt water.
Bar soap won't do anything in salt water. It's like rubbing a bar of wax.
LOL!

With my hair, I definitely use a blow dryer, otherwise it would only
take a week and a half to dry it... lol But with short hair it's not
needed.

Sounds like you have nice, thick hair. It looks sort of auburn. It that the
natural color. It would undoubtedly look very sexy and sassy short.

snippage

Yeah, I'm always paranoid about getting burned. I tend to blister and
get splotchy.

You just need somebody with a nice touch to apply lots of SPF40 where you
can't reach. But, and this is funny, I've noticed women seem to be
double-jointed in their arms. Women seem to be able to twist their arms at
really crooked angles and they can turn their hands right around flat so
they can reach even up between their shoulder blades. Most men can't seem to
reach that spot.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 07:44 PM

Cannibal

"Bruce in Bangkok" opined in message
snip

Willie-boy, you really expose your lack of knowledge of the "Cruising"
world every time you post.

PKB! You don't even know what cruising is, apparently. You seem to confuse
voyaging and cruising.

Now sit down and think how you would want your "Real Cruising" boat
equipped. Not the afternoon junket down the bay, or even the weekend
cruising. No, the real cruising life style - you sell the house, kiss
the kids good-bye and sail off.

So far, so good. . .

That is the type of people in my world and once you depart from the
bounds of the afternoon cruise in the bay (and then you discover that
the winds aren't blowing you abandon that). I'm talking about, say a
"cruise" from Perth, Australia to Phuket, Thailand; maybe a nice trip
from Singapore to India (non stop), you know stuff like that? A little
late to abandon "afternoon cruise" when you are in the middle of the
Indian Ocean and the wind stops blowing.

Those are voyages. Get a clue. I realize you are getting senile but try to
pay attention.

I suspect that once you try to pack your dunnage onto a tiny little
boat like yours you might change your tune a little. Imagine -
everything you own on a peanut sized boat, no storage ashore, just you
and your boat.... and little is better?

I have everything I desire aboard except perhaps for a JessicaB and that
would probably require a slightly larger boat of around 32 feet or so to
have space and comfort for two people and their things. But, as a
lone-hander 27 feet is plenty enough. I know because I live the cruising
life in perfect contentment with no desire for a larger boat.

No Willie-boy, you don't know a thing about real cruisers and you
demonstrate your ignorance in your every post. Jesus! Cheating Walmart
out of the price of a bottle of booze? A real cruiser!

What's with the bottle of booze myth! You are mixing me up with somebody
else. There's not even a Wal-Mart around here, for Pete's sake.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 07:46 PM

Cannibal

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:23:17 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

As for being pooped, boat length has nothing to do with it. If the
wave travels faster then the boat you get pooped, if the boat is at
wave speed, or faster, then you don't. But then, you don't have to
read a book to discover that little gem... just go sailing.
My dear Bruce. I belive the defintion of getting pooped is when water
is shiped on deck. TO have a wave pass the boat is simply that: a
wave
going by.

Please forgive me if I misunderstood your post.

Bob
I suspect that you are correct and I was guilty of jumping to the
conclusion that Willie was talking about running before the wind as a
storm tactic, in which case being pooped is usually when you aren't
traveling at wave speed and the waves are breaking over the stern.
Cheers,

Bruce

What a simpleton! A ballasted, monohull sailboat will not be able to
outrun the wave train. Fast multi-hulls may but the type of sailboat
under discussion here will have waves approach from astern (when
running which is the hoped-for case in the trades and elsewhere as in
'fair winds') slip under the stern or quarter and move away from the
bow.

If the wavelength happens to be (because of any number of diverse
conditions of wind, sea and depth) just slightly different than LOA, as
the bow is lifted by the wave exiting the bow the stern falls into the
trough just in time to have the top of the wave approaching from the
stern poop it.

Pah! You must have been lying about voyaging - either that or too drunk
or asleep to observe how things work.

Wilbur Hubbard

Talk about simpletons..

I've seem video of a TP53 doing 25 knots - yes, under sail!

OMG! Try reading with comprehension. We are talking here about ballasted,
cruising sailboats which are limited to a concept called "hull speed."
Race boats are not cruising boats in case you've not noticed.

Wilbur Hubbard

You wish!

quote (right above) A ballasted, monohull sailboat

So, shoot me. I left out 'cruising' sailboat because I erroneously had the
idea that my readers weren't so totally clueless as to the context of the
discussion.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 07:51 PM

Cannibal

"Bruce" wrote in message
Trimmed some repeats

You are really an ignorant oaf, aren't you? Did I ever say that a
monohull could outrun a wave? Nope, as I was replying to someone who
misinterpreted an earlier post I specified as many details as
possible.

Duh, you did so imply just that as if a monohull could outrun the wave train
then it could NEVER be pooped unless it fetched up on a reef or some such.

If the wavelength happens to be (because of any number of diverse
conditions
of wind, sea and depth) just slightly different than LOA, as the bow is
lifted by the wave exiting the bow the stern falls into the trough just in
time to have the top of the wave approaching from the stern poop it.

Yes, I keep hearing that but frankly, have never seen it happen and as
I wrote in another message I'm not sure that it can happen. Mind
giving us a reference (other then your wild claims),

Pretty hard to see it happen when tied to the Thailand dock. The most wave
action you see is a Tsunami from time to time. And, you wouldn't even see
that if you were actually out voyaging in deep water.

Pah! You must have been lying about voyaging - either that or too drunk or
asleep to observe how things work.

Drunk? Am I the guy that went on about his even(ing) libations while
anchored (from the picture with the oars sticking out of the dinghy)
very close to shore.

They don't 'stick out'. The fit withing the length of the dinghy. They just
happen to be in the rowlocks in that photo. When stowed as in and around a
dinghy dock they lay completely within the lenght of the dinghy and they are
locked to it with a small length of SS wire.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 07:57 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

Yes, I rescued this feral kitten and now he's all grown up. He's still
very
timid around people and hides when strangers visit but he's a good hunter.
He mostly hunts insects as that is about all that can get aboard. There
was
a mangrove snake he cornered one time in the lazarette just forward of the
outboard motor, though. I had to grab it and toss it overboard but it swam
to the dinghy and crawled up along the transom and got in so I rowed it
over
to the shore and put it off so it wouldn't keep coming back.

Is that kind of snake poisonous? Yikes!

No, they aren't poisonous but they do bite and they have sharp teeth. You
have to grab them right behind their head.

My brother had a dog that went after two killer bees that got into the
house. They chased my bro into the bathroom and he said he could hear
them bumping against the door, which attracted the dog. Munch, munch,
no more bees!

I'm surprised they didn't sting the dog's mouth.

snip

Yeah, I agree! The builders around here really took it hard when the
economy went into the toilet. I know a bunch of them through work.
They were scrambling for a while - still are I guess, and those guys
actually made things.

Yes, while the government grows bureaucrat jobs the private sector takes it
in the shorts. All the more reason to read "Atlas Shrugged" to see where
this all leads.

I don't much like our new gov. Brown... too lame-brain liberal, but
he's talking some decent stuff about cutting some of these nonsense
programs. I would have preferred Meg... tough as nails, but she got
sandbagged by the volume of disinformation about the nanny. We'll see
with Brown.

Hate to say it but Brown's a liberal moron. And those who voted for him are
liberal moron drones. Ryan was the far superior choice, IMO. Instead the
land of fruits and nuts re-elects a has-been liberal failure. Well, that's
the very definition of idiocy. Doing the same thing over and over again and
expecting different results.

snipped to end

Not painful I hope! :-)

Ouch! It hurts NOW, just thinking about it. You're BAD!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:18 PM

Cannibal

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:17:53 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

If you have a boat that is fifty feet LOA and she is in a wave train that
is
45 feet crest to crest just imagine what happens when running. Yes, the
bow
goes up the wave in front and the stern drops just in time for the crest
of
the following wave to poop the hell out of the transom. A 25-foot boat is
totally unaffected.

Good thinking.... and true, however...

Now, you're finally talking sense. It's suprising how lucid you can be when
sober. LOL!

A wave that was only 45 feet from crest to crest is a pretty small
wave. In fact, I can't even find a calculation that can be used to
calculate the dimensions of a wave this small. The closest I can find
by interpretation from the charts I have is:

A wave with a velocity of 10 M/S (36 MPH) in 10 M (~32 ft.) of water
would have a wave period of less then 4 seconds and a length of 200 M.

In other words your example is a highly unlikely (perhaps impossible)
situation.

I guess you never sailed in really shallow water as in under six feet depth?
You've apparently no concept of a 'short chop'? Or I suppose you never
sailed in a strong current that shortens and heaps up the wave train? Like
in the Gulf Stream? You're book-learning seems to lack what my practical
experience teaches.

snippage

You are perfectly correct that you claim to have sailed thousands of
miles. In more challenging conditions then I, and you again claim that
conditions were more challenging, and all of it coastal, i.e., never
out of sight of land. But that is your claim.

I've actually done it.

You can't remember things that may or may not have happened 35-some-odd
years ago.

snippage

What absolutely ignorance.

Says the Rube who lives ashore now and at the docks for thirty years. Yah,
right!

A Home, is it? Well, I've lived on a sailboat for most of 20 years
now.

Most of us real cruisers don't live "on" a sailboat. We live "in" or
"aboard" our sailboats. You even talk like a lubber. What's wrong with you?

A time machine? Well, I'll admit I am getting older.

Aren't we all?

An "interface dancer"? what in the world is that?

You have the air, you have the water. That which lies in between is called
the interface. Duh! A saiboat works the interface. A sailboat wouldn't work
in the air alone or in the water alone. It dances along the interface
between the air and water. Those of who know how to really handle our boats
well can be said to be like smooth and accomplished dancers though we
"dance" with our sailing machines.

A compilation of systems? What are you going on about?

If you don't know they you PROVE you are no sailor.

Sailing a boat is hardly as difficult or challenging as flying an
airplane and I could do that, albeit with an adult in the plane, when
I was 12 years old.

I disagree. Doing sailing RIGHT is more of a challenge than flying an
airplane. I've done both so I know of which I speak.

I sailed a 28 (FOD) Miscongus Bay Sloop (you may call it a "Friendship
Sloop, but that is wrong), with no engine, for several years up and
down the Maine coast with a one burner kerosene stove, a compass and a
Mobile Oil road map. No electrics except for a flashlight; no radio.
Canvas sails, manila ropes and a lead line.

Sadly, you apparently haven't progress much beyond that basic level after
all these long years. LOL!

I built my first boat when I was 12 years old (with my father's help.
It was only a small row boat, but it was a boat.

I have always made my own repairs, wood, fiberglass hulls, Wood and
aluminum spars, I can (under duress) splice wire rope from 1 X 19
through 7 X 7, and could do that since I was 19. I was a code welder
and can weld most metals including aluminum and titanium.

It's good to have some skills but those skills have little or nothing to do
with sailing.

So don't go blathering on about the romance of boating. The essence of
a boat is "another way to get there".

So hopelessly naive and clueless you are, Bruce. You refuse to see any
romance in sailing. It's quite sad as your ridgid frame of mind has you
missing the best part of sailing.

If you don't believe read Bill Tilman, CBE, DSO, MC and Bar, was
rather famous mountaineer and sailor who when asked why he took up
sailing replied, "There were a lot of mountains I wanted to climb that
were only accessible by boat... So I learned to sail one in order to
get to the mountains".

What silly rhetoric. The guy's a mountain climber who used a boat as
transportation only. He had love only for mountain climbing. He never
professed to be a sailor. You do, yet you have the same concept of a
sailboat as only a way to get from one place to another. What kind of a fool
says such a thing? What kind of a moron uses the slowest method of transport
of all if his goal is only to arrive at a destination. May I suggest you
travel by air next time.

Your attitude that a sailboat is just
transportion tells me you weren't ever able to appreciate what a sailboat
really is by virtue of the fact of your self-centeredness and ungodliness
where you place yourself in the center of the universe. This arrogance is
why you failed - you failed to appreciated the beauty of the machine and
the
lifestyle. You viewed it as just another way to move your sorry fat
carcass
around. This is so sad.

Failed? I'd say that I succeed. After all, I got to exactly where I
was going.

In spite of the fact that where you were going was only defined after the
fact tha the voyage ground to a halt halfway short of its original goal.
That is a failure in anybody but a liberal's mind.

snip

Perhaps you are to be pitied because you are too staid to ever appreciate
the beauty, romance, utility and connectedness of sailing. But, now all
our
readers understand why you failed - one cannot master something one does
not
understand.

You have a rather overheated imagination. Try talking to anyone who
has actually sailed somewhere and see whether your ethereal and
romantic outlook finds a soul mate.

You defeat your every point. If people thought sailing and boats were only a
tool that can be abided grudglingly as a means to a destination then they
are total morons to keep using such a poor tool for the job. What kind of an
imbecile claims the destination is all yet takes the slowest and most
arduous method of transport towards the goal. C'mon. You can't actually
believe what you're trying to claim.

The usual "sea story"of a real sailor after a trip is more like, "The
damned autopilot broke down about a week out and we had to hand steer
all the way". Or, perhaps, "We didn't have a breath of wind and had to
motor for two weeks". Another I heard was, "a damned storm hit us
about 200 miles north of Chagos and we layed a-hull for three days
before we could get going".

Now, who is reading magazine articles. Like I stated in a post elsewhere
those magazines are sold to wannabes and these wannabes want to read about
clueless dolts as incompent as they, themselves, are so they won't feel like
they can't cut the mustard. The entire sailing magazine industry is nothing
but a compendium of ineptitude.

I have never heard a real sailor rabbit on about romance,
connectedness or any of the other platitudes heard from the romantic
dreamers who's maritime experience is measured by how many books
they've read.

Perhaps you just aren't exposed to real sailors there at the squalid Bangkok
dock?

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:27 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:58:42 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

trimmed a lot of stuff

Yes, they need to lose the liberalism which destroys self-esteem.

Sometimes it really makes me sick... I was so glad when the House
moved a bit closer to center and Pelosi got replaced as Speaker. I'm
always torn because I like powerful women, but she was/is so extreme.
You have no idea. SF makes Santa Monica look like a hot bed of
conservatives.

Pelosi is a waste of space. The only thing she's good for is the bo-tox
industry.

I think you'd like 'Atlas Shrugged.' Do you have a Kindle? I bet you could
get it cheap at the Kindle store. I got 'The Fountainhead' for my Kindle.
The best thing about it is the philosophy of the author and how she weaves
it throughout the story and how her characters act to show how pathetic
those who are liberals are and how human and admirable those who are
objectivists are.

I don't have one. I am supposed to get an iPad for my b-day... my
brother (in Germany) was "arranging" something. I'm going to parents'
next week.

Check into the Kindle at Amazon.com - that is if you are a reader. They are
wonderful. They even come with free 3G connectivity so you can shop the
Kindle store on their dime and order and download kindle books. I'm always
amazed at how convenient it is. Most of the Kindle books even have speech to
text so you can have it read the book to you if want.

IPads are nice but they use a lot of electricity and aren't the best
platform for reading ebooks. The kindle lasts for weeks because of it's
white screen technology. Also, it's easier to read in full daylight.

I hope you have a nice visit with your parents. If I don't see any of your
posts here I shall know why.

While liberals hate the human attributes of the mind and try to destroy
those who love the human attributes of the mind they don't even understand
the depravity of what they do and how they CANNOT exist with men (and
women)
of the mind. Liberals despise and attempt to destroy evolved human
attributes of the mind. That's the sad fact and the pathology.

I just wish they would leave me alone.

LOL! You're just too desirable. You're always going to be pursued in one way
or the other.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 2nd 11 08:28 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

That's probably the reason it sounded so, ummm... foolish.

Bruce = foolish.

Wilbur Hubbard