BoatBanter.com

-   -   Cannibal (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/122566-cannibal.html)

Wilbur Hubbard February 1st 11 10:01 PM

Cannibal

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:16:22 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
news:g7KdnW4rJ9AjrdvQnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@earthlink. com...

That's not what the magazine article that he read said though!

Stow it! I speak from 35 years of ACTIVE sailing and living aboard
experience.

Willie-boy! Living on an anchored boat (live aboard, they call it,
sort of like maritime trailer trash) does not qualify you as an expert
in anything but ferrying groceries out to the boat and garbage back.

Living aboard AND sailing vs. being stuck at the Bangkok dock for
30-some-odd years. I can sail circles around your forgotten skills, fond
rememberances and rotting hulk of a boat. Face it, Bruce, you are a has-been
while I'm a still-am.

snip to end

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 1st 11 10:06 PM

Cannibal

"Bob" wrote in message

I'm no lawyer, but it's changing the rules after the fact. That's
bogus.- Hide quoted text -

No its called a "Revision."

No, it's more than that. It's a supersede. If they invalidate your Master's
license when it still might have several years before the expiration date
then they are robbing you of your investment and depriving you of your
livelihood. It is clearly fraud and theft of services. While the license you
paid hundreds of dollars and many more hours than that to obtain has an
expiration date of, say 2015, all of a sudden some bureaucrat comes along
and declares it's useless without a TWIC card? That's reneging on a
contract, pure and simple.

Have you ever heard of ex post facto?

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 1st 11 10:07 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:13:57 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:16:57 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

CFRs require it for all people needing dock acess for thier job. But
since you dont sail your license you reall have no use for either a
TWIC or that master license (sutible for framing and display) Hang on
to that purdy license.

The latest CFRs actually go farther than that. They say that without
a TWIC card your Masters ticket or OUPV are no longer valid.

There will be lawsuits. The government sold you something you paid good
money for and invested good time for that gave you certain rights and
privileges and now they say it's no longer valid.

That is fraud in anybody's book.

I'm no lawyer, but it's changing the rules after the fact. That's
bogus.

You're so lovable!

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 1st 11 10:17 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:23:19 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:23:02 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 19:05:11 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:30:04 -0800, Jessica B
wrote:

Why do they charge $100 for that
card ..TIWC? Seems like it's kind of over the top. What does it get
you?

It gets you a fancy ID card that has all of your biometric data,
including fingerprints, encoded on to an internal chip. All people
involved in public transportation are now required to have one.

Sounds like it gets the government a whole lot more than they need for
people who take a few people sailing. I guess I could see it for a
tanker or a ferry or something. I really wouldn't want all that info
on a chip.

Typical government stuff, one size fits all. We had a joke in the
army that you could have any color shirt you wanted as long as it was
green. That joke obviously predates today's fancy desert camouflage
outfits. The idea with the TWIC card is to ensure that all people
with access to port infrastructure areas, docks, builldings, etc.,
have proper security credentials.

It's entirely possible that our friend in question has some sort of,
uhhh, "issue" in his past that would preclude security authorization.

Or, more likely, he's just as tired of needless paperwork as I am.

Right. You call it the mommy state and I call it Big Brother but it's all
the same. A bunch of control-freak bureaucrats with their make-work paper
pushing lording over and riding on the backs of productive citizens with
their elitist hypocrite attitude. It's just too much at times.

Then you have some liberal like WayneB, who was probably born with a silver
spoon in his mouth, casting aspersions upon the character of his moral and
ethical betters. People who side with the bloated federal government are
worse than despicable. They are leeches, for the most part. Several articles
that came out a year or two ago proved that the richest people give the
least to charity. Democrats, in particular, have an abysmal charity record
compared to Republicans but, if you listen to their lies, you'd think it was
the other way around.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 1st 11 10:21 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 08:44:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

Has anybody ever offered you a bribe to look the other way on something?

I've been offered a bribe just once. He was actually a nice guy, and I
said I really couldn't accept it because it would put my job and his
life in jeopardy. The situation was that some moron installed a
furnace so poorly in his house that the burners weren't getting enough
air (it's almost always a ducting issue), which meant they were
sucking air from the house and the gas wasn't being burned
efficiently... a good way to get asphyxiated. In addition to
red-flagging it, I had to turn off the gas to it. So, he was trying to
get me to leave it on. No go on that, but I showed him how to turn the
gas to it back on sort of in a sly way.

I said, "Hey, here's what I have to do. This shuts off the gas. (I
shut it off.) It's just a hand valve that's 90 to the pipe when it's
off. You'll notice that when I turn it on (I turn it on) by putting it
in line with the pipe, the pilot lights automatically after a few
seconds after the thermostat kicks in. I don't recommend you turn it
on. It's dangerous. I strongly recommend you leave a window open
unless you want to wake up dead." I mentioned a couple of reputable
companies, then, I left. :-)

I sure hope he didn't wake up dead. LOL!

I did get asked out a few times, but only accepted one time. He was
nice, but it just didn't work out.

:-( Poor thang! But, I'm sure you get LOTS of chances.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bruce[_3_] February 1st 11 10:26 PM

Cannibal

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:01:17 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
news:g7KdnW4rJ9AjrdvQnZ2dnUVZ_gidnZ2d@earthlink .com...

That's not what the magazine article that he read said though!

Stow it! I speak from 35 years of ACTIVE sailing and living aboard
experience.

Willie-boy! Living on an anchored boat (live aboard, they call it,
sort of like maritime trailer trash) does not qualify you as an expert
in anything but ferrying groceries out to the boat and garbage back.

Living aboard AND sailing vs. being stuck at the Bangkok dock for
30-some-odd years. I can sail circles around your forgotten skills, fond
rememberances and rotting hulk of a boat. Face it, Bruce, you are a has-been
while I'm a still-am.

snip to end

Wilbur Hubbard

You keep harping on being stuck at the Bangkok Docks (which don't
exist) when I have never kept a boat in Bangkok simply reinforces your
reputation as a fool.

Your claims of "sailing" seem to be best illustrated by your recent
photographs showing your boat anchored "in the bay", I believe you
wrote.

Just another Sunday Sailor who undertook a hazardous voyage around the
bay and decided to add to the adventure by actually anchoring out for
a night. An intrepid sailor, indeed.

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce[_3_] February 1st 11 10:34 PM

Cannibal

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:06:37 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message

I'm no lawyer, but it's changing the rules after the fact. That's
bogus.- Hide quoted text -

No its called a "Revision."

No, it's more than that. It's a supersede. If they invalidate your Master's
license when it still might have several years before the expiration date
then they are robbing you of your investment and depriving you of your
livelihood. It is clearly fraud and theft of services. While the license you
paid hundreds of dollars and many more hours than that to obtain has an
expiration date of, say 2015, all of a sudden some bureaucrat comes along
and declares it's useless without a TWIC card? That's reneging on a
contract, pure and simple.

Have you ever heard of ex post facto?

Wilbur Hubbard

No Willie-boy, your license is not useless for what you use it for -
hanging on the wall and boasting about it. You can still show it to
people and make your claims to fame, just like you always have.

And hundreds of dollars and many hours to obtain? It appears that our
intrepid sailor-boy went to school to learn to be a sailor? What a
farce.

Cheers,

Bruce

Wilbur Hubbard February 1st 11 10:50 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:09:51 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Jessica B" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:50:15 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

snip

I love it! So, what are you going to say to your boss then he tries to
write you up for putting the sticker back on? "You'd better talk to YOUR
boss because he told me it was OK." That'll larn him!

It was perfect. I actually just walked in there before I left (leave
at 3pm), and sort of casually said, hey about that sticker thing... I
was talking to Greg and he seemed ok with it, but I can remove it if
you really think it's a problem. So, he says, oh yeah, Greg said
something to me about the (his Mystery Spot) sticker, but didn't say
to take it off. So I guess just don't worry about it. (I don't think
anyone complained. I think he just had a hair up his butt about
something and I happened to be there.)

He's probably one of those control freaks who thought he could browbeat a
"defenseless" woman. LOL!

He can be I guess. Mostly, he's ok. I think he's having marital
problems. He's showed up a couple of mornings looking like he slept in
his clothes.

At least he's probably not having an affair because he wouldn't be sleeping
in his clothes. LOL!

snip

Older. One lives sort of near here.. San Diego.. stock broker. The
oldest is military... currently in Germany just outside of Frankfurt.

Sounds like successful siblings. Are your parents around there anywhere?

snip

Ha ha! YES! We lose our minds and men better remember it!! :-)

Or, run away!!!

snipped

Exactly. If I don't write it down, they would blame me and I'd get
fired. If I do write it down, they blame me and try to get me fired. I
prefer the latter to the former!

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. snicker

When I work out, I put two 5lbs on the bench press bar, which weighs
45lbs, and I can press it 10 times for 2 sets before I have to stop.
Not bad I think!

Sounds pretty strong to me. Your arms in the bikini picture didn't look
muscle bound or anything. But, it looked like you had some pretty nice
"pecs". LOL!

Ok. That makes sense. You can actually use the wave action of the boat
to get it out of the mud. Then it's just a straight lift.. 35lbs plus
whatever the chain weighs, and I guess you can rest by wrapping it
around something if you had to.

Yes, I have four different bow cleats to which to snub off the line or
chain. I installed two extras with a nice big backing plate on the overhead
of the v-berth for hurricane anchoring usage. I like putting out four
anchors in storm conditions even in a hurricane hole. I've ridden out no
fewer than a dozen tropical storms and hurricanes over the years in various
places.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 1st 11 10:58 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:45:55 -0500, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

Well, aren't you sweet! But, you are right; one of these days people are
going to have to WAKE UP and realize that money doesn't grow on trees.
People who don't produce a damned thing are going to have to realize that
they aren't worth a dime as far as payment for not producing a thing goes.
This country is going to hell in a handbasket. Every high school student
should have to read (and understand) Ayn Rand's, "Atlas Shrugged," before
they are given a diploma. You seem so very sensible. If you haven't read
"Atlas Shrugged" please do so as you are very much in the mold of Dagny
Taggart.

I forgot to write you back about Ayn Rand's book. I have not read it
but I heard a bunch about it actually recently by coincidence. I was
having dinner with my aunt and uncle and he was saying that it's about
being an individual who knows her own mind and isn't willing to
compromise her beliefs for other people's benefit. I was sort of
nodding my head, because I tend to go my own way... (you might have
gotten that impression?).

No! Not you. lol One of your finer qualities, if I may say so.

He of course knows that I think this, so I
think it was all for my niece's benefit. (She's the most adorable
person, but is kind of hand fed if you know what I mean.) It seems to
me that people need to stand up for themselves, stop feeding at the
public trough, and stop feeling sorry for themselves.

Yes, they need to lose the liberalism which destroys self-esteem.

I think you'd like 'Atlas Shrugged.' Do you have a Kindle? I bet you could
get it cheap at the Kindle store. I got 'The Fountainhead' for my Kindle.
The best thing about it is the philosophy of the author and how she weaves
it throughout the story and how her characters act to show how pathetic
those who are liberals are and how human and admirable those who are
objectivists are.

While liberals hate the human attributes of the mind and try to destroy
those who love the human attributes of the mind they don't even understand
the depravity of what they do and how they CANNOT exist with men (and women)
of the mind. Liberals despise and attempt to destroy evolved human
attributes of the mind. That's the sad fact and the pathology.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard February 1st 11 11:15 PM

Cannibal

"Jessica B" wrote in message
snip

Also when camping. Put the clothes in a 5 gal bucket, add water, some
detergent, and stomp for a while. Works fine. It's not like I'd be
bringing chiffon dress or something (well maybe for a shore
excursion).

Or evening daquairis at the raw bar.

And you get nice clean feet that way, too. I hand wash all my bike shorts
and jerseys after each ride in a little plastic bucket with water I get from
a nearby RPZ but I use my hands and fists to smush them around in the
water/detergent. Then I hang them to dry in the van where it gets very hot
during the day. They dry just fine.

Can't you just use one of those solar showers? I think they make 5 gal
sizes, and that's plenty of water, even for a shampoo. Well, I guess
the salt water wouldn't be good for my hair... it would turn it dull
and I wouldn't want that.

Salt water is great for washing your hair. It won't make it dull if you
rinse it afterwards with fresh water to get the salt residue off. That's why
I like short hair on cruising women. Uses less fresh water to keep the hair
clean. No blow driers allowed aboard. They use too much power.

I still have a couple of those solar shower things. Haven't used them in
years. It's easier and more efficient to just heat some water on the stove
and do a wash-cloth bath.

That sounds good, but wouldn't it be better to do the stomp method,
then use that to rinse? It seems like the clothes could use a quick
dip in fresh water to keep them soft.

And to keep the dry. If you leave salt in the clothes they attract moisture
from the air and always feel clammy especially at night.

The very best way, however, when cruising is to just say no to clothes. If
you don't wear them then they don't get soiled. But, you still have to
wash
sheets, towels, etc.

Well, minimal clothes... lol

I would encourage that a little left the the imagination is better And, a
healthy tan is a good thing. LOL!

Wilbur Hubbard